UKBouldering.com

The Campus board and transfer to bouldering performance (Read 12130 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
There have been very few academic studies of transfer from strength training (specific or general) to climbing performance. (I know about 1 study in total, that one basically concluded that electrostimulation has no transfer to climbing performance).

Based on my own experience, friends experiences and experiences by coaches [I've talked to] I have plenty of anecdotal evidence of stuff that has lead to performance increases in some people sometimes, under some circumstances: which in absence of larger studies is the best one could hope for.

Among things that sometimes work for some people under certain circumstances I've found fingerboarding (for better bouldering performance), pullups (for strength endurance routes), “core”-stability work (for bouldering), and running (for stamina and long routes).

I know of several instances where both foot-on and normal campusing have lead to increases in performance on strength endurance routes, but I am only aware of one single instance where campusing lead to increases in bouldering performance: supposedly a campus-board routine lead Wolfgang Güllich to be able to do the first move/s on Action Directe.

So, what I'm asking for is some anecdotal evidence where campusing for maximal strength have had clear performance transfer in bouldering. Your best stories please
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:47:53 pm by jwi »

yetix

• forum abuser
In Jerry Moffats book he talks about campussing helping for competitions/routes I believe (although I can't recall specifics and don't have access to the book presently. Not directly helping as you've noted bouldering but thought I'd note it for you

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Yeah, as mentioned I've found plenty of examples (including myself, but that is likely to be extraordinarily biased...) of instances where the campusboard routines [mostly pe-based] have transferred positively to strength endurance.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

(around 10.00)

Moffatt talks about bouldering at Font. after a winter of campusing.

Palomides

• forum abuser
That reminds me - there's a great bit in unclesomebody's font film where he describes his prep for font as "campusing and listening to techno".. don't know if he had improved performance afterwards in terms of strength though, the film shows a lot of good ticks but I don't know him so have no idea if that was due to training, living there or just talent!

tim palmer

• forum abuser
Edinburgh climbing in the early '00s contained some of the more prodigious campus boarders I have seen and I am not sure it did any of us much good

Doylo

• forum hero
 :agree:
That reminds me - there's a great bit in unclesomebody's font film where he describes his prep for font as "campusing and listening to techno".. don't know if he had improved performance afterwards in terms of strength though, the film shows a lot of good ticks but I don't know him so have no idea if that was due to training, living there or just talent!

Well you can rule out talent  :lol:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
My experience: I used to campus quite a lot when I didn't have my board. It surely made me strong but I was also doing loads of fingerboarding, so I can't exactly isolate the campusing effect with respect to rock climbing.
On the other side, when I got access to a good wall or board I almost completely quit campusing and I didn't notice a drop, in fact, I climbed some of my hardest projects with no campusing.
 :shrug:

T_B

• forum hero
I haven't done any campussing for a couple of years, but am quite keen to do some at the mo. I guess it depends on where your natural strength (<lank>) lies but for me deadhanging is more useful. The longer your arms, the 'stronger' you will be at campussing, so beware of your ego  ;).

I hold campus rungs very open and don't think campussing makes your fingers strong, as I believe you need to half crimp or crimp to develop finger strength.

Finally, climbing ability on rock is probably inversely proportional to campussing ability.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
A quick thought:

I have reason to believe that Jerry Moffatt and Wolfgang Güllich were more trainable than most.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
It's a good thought.
I've had more than just a few arguments with climbers who were blindly following pro climbers' training plans.

rodma

• forum hero
Edinburgh climbing in the early '00s contained some of the more prodigious campus boarders I have seen and I am not sure it did any of us much good

;D

DDDD

• regular
Back in the 90's I used to do a three/four week cycle of just campus boarding every eight weeks or so. After the cycle and going back to doing problems on my board, my hardest problems used to feel easy. So, yes, at least for me, campus boarding worked for bouldering.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I am sorry, I have a hard time letting go of this subject.

Like many recreational climbers, I can only do 1-4-7 on incut campus rungs (like these https://www.metoliusclimbing.com/campus_rungs.html) juggy side up. This usually looks something like this
(Apologies to the person in the video, I look as sloppy myself, and I could have taken almost any search result on campus 1-4-7 from youtube to illustrate my point. But this clip was mercifully short). This is not a movement I recognise from any route or boulder I've done, indoor our out. When climbing with the feet on, like you normally do, you would never twist that much in the middle of a slap unless the leading hand is on an enormous jug.

Campusing on large incut rungs is often rationalised as training power in pull down/push up movement (see e.g. https://www.trainingbeta.com/campusing-part-2-when-and-why-to-use-the-smaller-rungs/ ), but as it is firmly established that power training has to be done at similar contraction speed and with as similar movement pattern as possible to the actual skill I am quite sceptical that the transfer will be that great. To me the movement seems to be a lot slower compared to big moves when we use the feet, and the rotation-pull movement is difficult to learn and seems very unspecific.

On small sloper rungs this movement pattern can rarely be seen. In fact most climbers are forced to stay much more front on when campusing on bad edges. Like this video of Wolfgang himself on his celebrated Pan Gullich in the Campus gym in Nürnberg with is imfamous glassy edges

cowboyhat

• forum hero
I find the campus board a useful tool but not regular campussing.

Other exercises have effect; have definitely got me stronger. Touches, Power endurance foot off ladders, 1-5s, 1&3-7 (one move), etc

1-4-7 type campussing itself however because of the technique involved, the twisting, only serves as a way marker and isn't really an actual 'exercise' that leads to gainz.

As you mention about the Wolfgang video - we have some slippy big wooden half dome things at Stronghold and they, being really hard to hold, require much more body and shoulder tension meaning you can't twist and have to be way more controlled to progress. A stronger individual might disagree with that. I haven't used them enough to say whether this style of more controlled 'campussing' would be beneficial but it feels akin to just practising an openish lock on a poor hold so might be more transferable?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

Power endurance foot off ladders,

These have been really efficient for me as well. They feel very injury inducing though... and I've found that now they take more than 48 hours to recover from

Ged

• junky
I built a small campus board in my shed when I moved to Devon. I went from not really being able to do any moves on tuppence, to being able to do all the crux sections pretty reliably,and repeatedly falling off the last move on redpoint. For those that haven't been on tuppence, it most definitely requires bouldering strength and power.

On anither note, I'm not sure you can dismiss the strength endurance gains brought about by campussing. Strength/power endurance is improved by being stronger and more powerful due to working at a lower %of max surely?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I am always torn reading threads like this; my usual performance on a campus board is 1-2-3-fall off (not an exaggeration, as anyone who knows me will attest). Does that mean campussing is an untapped potential source of major gains, or since I have so far managed without any ability in that sphere, I can happily continue to avoid it!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

Power endurance foot off ladders,

These have been really efficient for me as well. They feel very injury inducing though... and I've found that now they take more than 48 hours to recover from

Had never had golfer’s elbow till I did them; now it plagues me.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
I've just started doing a bit of campus training to mix things up. I feel like changing stuff to get a different stimulus of sorts can only be helpful. I'm using the middle size beastmaker rungs and 1-4-7 is totally beyond me, but 1-4-6 I can do. What I'm not sure about is the balance between trying hard enough and injury. I wasn't trying as hard as in Ondras video, didn't want to go to failure, and I'm not really sure how long I should go for. Went for 5-6 sets per hand as per Jerry followed by a some safe reasonably hard but submax bouldering.

Will stop if get anything elbowy!

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
MoF  ;)

"1-4-6 I can do".

1-4-7 I'd suggest is not way beyond you  :2thumbsup:

Have you tried mixing it up with 1-3-6? Generally seems to help, as does adding some weight carefully/training after Christmas.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
Thanks for the advice, haven’t tried that yet! I’ll give it a go next time!

Yossarian

• forum hero
I was making some quite good progress towards 147 before I cocked up my shoulder.

My issue was / is lock strength and firing my considerable bulk upwards, rather than finger strength. So was doing assisted one arm pull-ups and deep locks, both of which seemed to be helping. And both felt more controllable / less likely to cause injury than repeated 147 failures.

Bradders

• forum hero
I'm a dedicated boulderer and I've almost never trained on the campus board. In my humble opinion there is very little to be gained from it that couldn't be developed in a far more specific way by climbing on a steep board with poor holds.

That said, the one thing I've heard of which I think might be beneficial is described in this Training Beta interview with Will Anglin.

https://www.trainingbeta.com/media/will-anglin/

He advocates campus as a method of developing finger power only, I.e. not as a way to develop muscular power which is better done on a steep board as above. He recommends adding weight, but making small hand movements, thus targeting finger power and contact strength (contact power?) without the weird body positioning and elbow grief usually associated with making long moves in campus training.

Worth giving the interview a listen. His method has been on my list of things to try for ages but have yet to get round to it. Will report back as and when I try it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal