UKBouldering.com

Loose harness causes head injury (Read 15630 times)

danm

• junky
#25 Re: Loose harness causes head injury
September 19, 2017, 10:41:46 pm
I've been wondering how much a climbers mass makes a difference to how much they get whipped in by a fall. For a fixed impact force, a climber with a low mass will experience a higher acceleration than one who is heavier (the reason why kids can't safely use adults via ferrata sets). Essentially, they come to a stop more rapidly, and the rope stretches less. Isn't that basically the same as a hard catch, making them more likely to swing in and invert? I need someone smarter than me to do some mathematical modelling!

dave

#26 Re: Loose harness causes head injury
September 20, 2017, 08:18:36 am
The peril of the dieting sportclimber.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#27 Re: Loose harness causes head injury
September 20, 2017, 09:12:57 am
I see on Facebook Mina has been back at Malham wearing a helmet. So presumably she's rethought her initial conclusion.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#28 Re: Loose harness causes head injury
September 20, 2017, 09:02:56 pm
I've been wondering how much a climbers mass makes a difference to how much they get whipped in by a fall. For a fixed impact force, a climber with a low mass will experience a higher acceleration than one who is heavier (the reason why kids can't safely use adults via ferrata sets). Essentially, they come to a stop more rapidly, and the rope stretches less. Isn't that basically the same as a hard catch, making them more likely to swing in and invert? I need someone smarter than me to do some mathematical modelling!

not if they chose a thinner (and lighter) rope

danm

• junky
#29 Re: Loose harness causes head injury
September 20, 2017, 10:55:27 pm

not if they chose a thinner (and lighter) rope

That would help, no doubt. For climbers around the 50kg mark, a half rope would probably be ideal as long as the belay device could handle the rope, as they are drop tested with 55kg to get the impact force figure.

Paul B

• forum hero
#30 Re: Loose harness causes head injury
September 21, 2017, 01:31:31 pm
Wow, does that mean I can break out the super skinny Mammut half for redpointing? I'm sure it'd be fine in a Gri Gri+?
 :tumble:

danm

• junky
#31 Re: Loose harness causes head injury
September 21, 2017, 01:57:32 pm
Wow, does that mean I can break out the super skinny Mammut half for redpointing? I'm sure it'd be fine in a Gri Gri+?
 :tumble:
I'm sure you'd be fine Paul, I mean what's the worst that could happen?  :ang:

Beal Opera would probably fit the bill, tested as a single and half rope, with as low an impact force as you'll get for a single rope, and can be used with a GriGri+ with care.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#32 Re: Loose harness causes head injury
September 21, 2017, 02:00:53 pm
Yes, I was belaying a climber not much over that yesterday and I wouldn't want to have been doing that with a half rope.
Also, there was the small matter of my 81kg lob off the second bolt that resulted in me getting a head up my arse...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wood FT

• forum hero
#33 Re: Loose harness causes head injury
September 21, 2017, 06:39:06 pm
good effort Matt!

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#34 Re: Loose harness causes head injury
January 10, 2019, 05:42:44 pm
https://instagram.com/p/Bsdi3HXnFaq/