UKBouldering.com

Nesscliffe conditions (Read 3236 times)

user deactivated

Nesscliffe conditions
August 24, 2017, 09:48:51 am
I was just wondering if anyone knows if Nesscliffe has a season. I can't see much logged there from September to April and I wondered if the main wall dries quickly or is it damp all winter? I can imagine the climbing feels much better there sub 10 deg. Cheers

mark20

• junky
#1 Re: Nesscliffe conditions
August 24, 2017, 10:23:10 am
It has been pretty good in Sept-Oct on breezy days when I've been but not tried later in the year, or early spring. It needs a day or so to properly dry out after wet weather, so I can't imagine it being any good over the winter, but someone else may know better. Might be good over the next few days though a bit more wind would be nice.
It can get pretty grim in the heat and especially humidity, but I've never found it to be too conditions dependant there. I noticed Ed Booth logged a (new) route there yesterday  :2thumbsup:

user deactivated

#2 Re: Nesscliffe conditions
August 24, 2017, 10:47:39 am
Thanks Mark, much appreciated. I was there last weekend and was a bit humid / sweaty. I remember watching a nice vid of you guys crushing there. Have you been on thousand setting suns? Looks gnarly

mark20

• junky
#3 Re: Nesscliffe conditions
August 24, 2017, 11:03:29 am
Nope never tried it, though it's a great line, I love those little 'non-corners' like Yukan II and 10 O Clock. There's a good video on youtube, yep looks gnarly!

user deactivated

#4 Re: Nesscliffe conditions
August 24, 2017, 11:11:21 am
Yeah, 10 o'clock is fantastic. Great moves and an amazing feature. Be great to spend a bit more time there getting to know the wall routes too. I didn't really like the climbing on gathering sun though. Particularly not the last move which I fell off!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#5 Re: Nesscliffe conditions
August 24, 2017, 11:13:35 am
By main wall you mean Cones and Currents to Red Square presumably?

You can climb there any time, but generally you're trying to balance dry periods without it being too hot. The sandstone is slow to dry after a proper soaking and needs to be properly dry to have any strength at all.

Best season is spring - the sort of prolonged dry spells in March/ April we've had regularly in recent years. Before the leaves have come out properly the air circulates a lot better. In some areas the tree cover means it stays very humid during the summer - the wind is your friend. Autumn can be good but is generally a lot wetter and the daylight hours are so much shorter there is less drying time. Having said all that the friction is not so temp dependent as on grit so I tend to go in summer.

user deactivated

#6 Re: Nesscliffe conditions
August 24, 2017, 12:42:17 pm
Cheers JB, yeah the wall left of my piano. I noticed the humidity in the trees making some of the smaller holds more difficult to stay on. The quality of the climbing more than makes up for the sandy holds. I'd imagine spring with a stiff breeze would be mint. I'll definitely stay away after rain though!

user deactivated

#7 Re: Nesscliffe conditions
August 24, 2017, 12:44:03 pm
I'd be quite keen to make a short film there if anyone fancied doing a route or two for the camera?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Re: Nesscliffe conditions
August 24, 2017, 01:14:02 pm
I'd certainly be interested in seeing your technique close up Dan. Hoping to get over in Sept at some point.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#9 Re: Nesscliffe conditions
August 24, 2017, 01:20:38 pm
I'm keen!!

user deactivated

#10 Re: Nesscliffe conditions
August 24, 2017, 03:25:24 pm
Nice one JB / Fiend, I can get out one day at a weekend usually and would be really keen to capture a bit of you guys climbing there. I can imagine autumn would look particularly great in the woodland around the crag. Happy to show you around my camera s stuff anytime JB it's pretty lofi to say the least! Anyway you could pm me here or send me a text? I'll pm you guys my mobile.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal