UKBouldering.com

Garmin maps (Read 6971 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Garmin maps
July 24, 2017, 09:23:46 pm
After a lengthy two days cycling from Liverpool to Sheffield and back, I experienced my Garmin Edge 810 dying both on the way there and on the way back. I've got Open Street Maps on the device and I'm wondering if having navigation enabled on this in parallel to tracking the ride is too much for the processor.

If anybody has any mapping tips with this, they'd be appreciated. Very frustrating for it to crash and switch off variously!

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#1 Re: Garmin maps
July 25, 2017, 12:41:04 pm
Could the memory be nearly full? I know on my Edge 520 gets very laggy if I have a large map and a lot of rides stored in it.

Monolith

• forum hero
#2 Re: Garmin maps
July 25, 2017, 03:11:03 pm
Having read endless forum posts about this, I've come to the conclusion that the processor in the device isn't powerful enough to be running the features offered in conjunction with the level of detail that OSM offers. I could of course be wrong.

I spoke with Garmin at lunch and it transpires that when I installed the OSM maps, it will (or I have) deleted the Garmin Base Maps. They were initially very unhelpful but when I reminded them that a third party was linking open source maps with 'Garmin' in their URL, this was very misleading (if not fraudulent perhaps?). I booted off and told him what a hunk of crap this all was. Surprise, surprise after speaking to his manager I was duly emailed the UK base maps.

Still unsure of what maps to use beyond the basic ones that come with it. Why do cycle computers have to be so insanely shit compared to something like Google Maps on iPhone. It's infuriating.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Garmin maps
July 25, 2017, 04:15:51 pm
I dont know why they still sell/use bespoke GPS for cycling/walking. A smartphone (waterproofed or in ruggedised case) will do all...

When we do fieldwork with our students we've stopped taking GPS - and get them to install an APP on their phone. Latest GPS receivers are found in phones (including the new EU system) and its often (a) quicker and (b) more accurate as its augmented by the mobile phone network triangulation...

Anyway - glad you got a result Mono...

Yossarian

• forum hero
#4 Re: Garmin maps
July 25, 2017, 04:38:18 pm
They run out of batteries though, don't they...

On my Edge 1000 I found it wouldn't last for long rides, i.e. 10-12 hrs plus. So did some digging and turned off Glonass (or Spetsnaz, whatever it's called) and also the Bluetooth phone thing, and the battery lasts loads longer now. I wonder whether doing that might make one run faster too?

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Garmin maps
July 25, 2017, 04:47:15 pm
They run out of batteries though, don't they...

On my Edge 1000 I found it wouldn't last for long rides, i.e. 10-12 hrs plus. So did some digging and turned off Glonass (or Spetsnaz, whatever it's called) and also the Bluetooth phone thing, and the battery lasts loads longer now. I wonder whether doing that might make one run faster too?

True - not being able to run on Duracels etc.. which last much longer than rechargables...

webbo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Garmin maps
July 25, 2017, 08:36:45 pm
I dont know why they still sell/use bespoke GPS for cycling/walking. A smartphone (waterproofed or in ruggedised case) will do all...
Because you don't spend £thousands on getting a lightweight and aerodynamic bike to strap something the size and weight of a small bible to the handle bars.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#7 Re: Garmin maps
July 25, 2017, 08:46:16 pm
Tom, I use my phone (samsung S7) on a quadlock mount on my stem which is more than adequate for most rides up to 4/5 hours running strava and google maps where necessary. I also have a little top tube bag that sits at the front and I have a smallish external battery to keep my phone topped up on longer rides. I really like my set up and thinks it works well for me

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#8 Re: Garmin maps
July 25, 2017, 08:48:12 pm
Because you don't spend £thousands on getting a lightweight and aerodynamic bike to strap something the size and weight of a small bible to the handle bars.
are you still using Dom Jolly's phone?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:03:12 pm by Jim »

webbo

• forum hero
#9 Re: Garmin maps
July 25, 2017, 09:12:47 pm
My iPhone is about 6 times the size of my bike computer. As for a top tube bag next you'll be admitting to riding in flared shorts.

Monolith

• forum hero
#10 Re: Garmin maps
July 26, 2017, 01:16:44 pm
I was running a similar rig for a while Jimbo but lugging all that guff around on the bike was a nuisance (and not particularly elegant with set up.).

I've ended up buying the Garmin City Navigator map set which hopefully will be fit for purpose. Base Maps are next to useless.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#11 Re: Garmin maps
July 26, 2017, 01:28:43 pm
True - not being able to run on Duracels etc.. which last much longer than rechargables...

Eh? What kind of 'Duracels' (sic) are you running?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#12 Re: Garmin maps
July 26, 2017, 11:27:41 pm
I've got an Edge 800 which I've had several years. Recently changed the battery because it was dying before the end of longer rides. It was pretty easy (fiddly, but easier than working on a phone) and cost about a tenner. If your using a heart rate monitor or cadence sensor etc disconnecting these will save some battery life. As will reducing the length of time the back light stays on. Not sure why OSM maps would use more power than other maps, I've got the full OS maps on mine and it was/is fine (until the original batt got tired)

Carrying a top up battery is also a good idea, and something I still take as a backup sometimes.

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Garmin maps
July 27, 2017, 08:36:37 am

Eh? What kind of 'Duracels' (sic) are you running?

Yup. Any field equipment where long battery life is priority we use Duracell (or equivalent) as they last much longer than Li-ion or Ni-cads.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#14 Re: Garmin maps
July 27, 2017, 08:49:25 am
My iPhone is about 6 times the size of my bike computer. As for a top tube bag next you'll be admitting to riding in flared shorts.
Now that is a good idea, I could be a trend setter. Seriously tho, either you have the world's biggest iPhone or the smallest bike computer. I bet you can't do navigation on it? Do you still not carry your phone anyway for emergencies?

tomtom

• forum hero
#15 Garmin maps
July 27, 2017, 08:55:48 am
How do baggy ron hills compare to flared shorts in the cycling fashion stakes? Asking for a friend....

webbo

• forum hero
#16 Re: Garmin maps
July 27, 2017, 09:15:46 am
How do baggy ron hills compare to flared shorts in the cycling fashion stakes? Asking for a friend....
On a parallel with climbing in orange pants.

webbo

• forum hero
#17 Re: Garmin maps
July 27, 2017, 09:20:12 am
Now that is a good idea, I could be a trend setter. Seriously tho, either you have the world's biggest iPhone or the smallest bike computer. I bet you can't do navigation on it? Do you still not carry your phone anyway for emergencies?
Phone in back pocket along with a piece of a road map of the area, money, reading glasses in small tube, multi tool and tyre levers in the other. Then food in other pocket, 2 tubes in seat pack. Computer is a sigma sport one that works of a wheel magnet.
All very 1980's :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal