UKBouldering.com

Oban Beta (Read 4282 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Oban Beta
July 02, 2017, 08:06:42 pm
Off to Oban for a week at end of the month. Will be in full tourist relaxation mode.

Recommendations for food and drink places and any other tourist type activities greatly received. Will have car for getting about.

Thanks in advance.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1 Re: Oban Beta
July 02, 2017, 11:14:54 pm
There's some nice celtic/pictish historical shizzle down towards Lochgilphead. Distillery tour. Take the ferry to Tobermory. I have been in Oban many, many times kind of as a tourist, but only because it's where my parents kept their boat, so I've not done a lot of the genuine touristy things!

Go to Crinain for the canal.

Head up to McCaigs Folly (a relatively close relation accoridng to my uncle...)

If I think of any more I'll jot them down.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#2 Re: Oban Beta
July 03, 2017, 08:41:30 am
One of my favourite non-climbing places to go - we've been about 5 times now. Have to say one of the nicest things about the area is that there's isn't *that* much to actually do, so we always tend to have a relaxing time when we go.

We always stay in Ardfern, which is a lovely little village just off the Oban to Lochgilphead road.

The village itself is worth a visit as there's a boat (The Sea Leopard IIRC) that takes you out to the corryvrechan (mad whirlpool tidal confluence thing), we spotted seals, deer and all sorts when we went. Also, if you carry on through Arfern to the end of the land you come to a little jetty which has incredible views over the islands - it's particularly amazing at sunset.

We had a sea kayaking lesson once, that was really good.  Met the guy at a little beach just north of Oban and we paddled back towards the town. We're total novices but the guy was really good with us and we were out for ages.

There's a Fort William to Malaig train as well if you're OK making a bit of a trip. It goes over the viaduct from Harry Potter (don't know, I've never seen it), and Malaig is a nice spot to grab fish and chips before you head back. You'll need to book as it gets busy, and you can reserve First Class and drink champagne.

Other than that, plus one to Crinan and Mull. In Crinan there are some woodland walks over the surrounding hills that are decent, and on Mull Tobermory and Calgary Beach are a must.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:46:39 am by tommytwotone »

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#3 Re: Oban Beta
July 03, 2017, 08:49:39 am
As for food and drink, I'm afraid I've always found cuisine north of the border more miss than hit...I think the best I can offer you is the George St Fish and Chip shop in Oban (which has a mad selection of battered items, including chorizo!), and Pokey Hat just up the road which does some great ice cream.

andy_e

• forum hero
#4 Re: Oban Beta
July 03, 2017, 08:56:31 am
Take a quick "ferry" journey over to Kerrera and enjoy wandering around!

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Oban Beta
July 03, 2017, 09:04:50 am
Ferry to Mull and boat trip to Staffa and Iona?

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#6 Re: Oban Beta
July 03, 2017, 09:39:46 am
If you've got plenty of time and are happy to drive, Mull is a good shout for a long day of island ticking.  The Oban to Craignure ferry takes 1hr20, then about an hour from Craignure to Fionnphort (boats across to Iona and trips to Staffa). Tobermory is very pretty but is 25mins drive in the other direction - there isn't a direct Oban to Tobermory ferry.

+1 on the sea kayaking, and the Fort Bill to Mallaig train.  If you've got kids along they'll surely be excited by being on the Hogwarts express? 

I've wiled away a pleasant hour at Dunstaffnage Castle, just north of Oban.

Food-wise, nothing leaps out in Oban, other than the obligatory fish and chips.  I can recommend a couple of places on Mull, but that's not much help.  I seem to recall a nice cafe/deli on the high street next to Waterstones: http://www.kitchengardenoban.co.uk     

dave

#7 Re: Oban Beta
July 03, 2017, 10:09:47 am
If you don't fuck around you could in principle get over to Mull then get one of the boats to Fingal's Cave - standard tourist tick but worth seeing. Iona is amazing too. Some great quiet beaches on the ross of Mull too.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#8 Re: Oban Beta
July 04, 2017, 08:14:26 pm
Good knowledge people.

Will explore all recommendations. Looked into Harry Potter train ride, fuck me sideways it's nae cheap and bloody well booked up too!

Muesli

• addict
#9 Re: Oban Beta
July 04, 2017, 10:22:15 pm
July 29th Kilmore and Kilbride highland games just a few of miles south of Oban town on the A816. Great fun to be had good hill race as well.

[size=0px]Kilmore & Kilbride Highland Games[/size]Traditional Highland Games featuring Heavyweights, Light Field Events, Solo Piping, Tug-of-War, Highland Dancing and Hill Race are held every year. The games will be held at Balinoe Field, (five miles South of Oban at the Head of Loch Feochan), Oban, Argyll. For details: Assistant Secretary, Lindy Walker, Knipoch Beag, Barndromin Farm, Knipoch, Oban, PA34 4QS. Telephone: 01852 316279 email. Dancing Organiser: Sherryl Peter, 49 Combie Street, Oban, Argyll, PA34 4HS. Telephone: 01631 564562. [/size]The next games will be on July 29, 2017[size=0px]

[/size][/font]
[size=0px][/size]

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: Oban Beta
July 05, 2017, 12:52:43 pm
Just wondering which of those Mike would be best at? :)

Shame there isn't a log cutting or wall building event.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#11 Re: Oban Beta
July 05, 2017, 01:16:29 pm
I know it's remarkably immature but I had to suppress a childish giggle at "solo piping"...

Muesli

• addict
#12 Re: Oban Beta
July 05, 2017, 03:46:25 pm
Cabers will be tossed !

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
#13 Re: Oban Beta
July 14, 2017, 11:58:23 pm
Oh thats home atm! Best cafes in town are the Chocolate shop and the little potting shed. Also good tea and cake at the far end of kerrera. Poppies near dunbeg is also great. Not many good restaurants in town. The manor house is the best (and poshest). Outside of town the Pier House in Appin is lush. Good views, food and and not too up itself.

Day trips to Lismore and Kerrera are lovely. Glencoe is only 45 min away. Dunad down near Kilmartin is very atmospheric (step in the old kingmaking footprint). Mull is brill. Tobermory and that are nice but Fionnphort and Erraid and Iona are the best bits (and Loch Buie). Good bouldering to be had and some great beaches (Traigh Gheal on Erraid is a fine spot).

Distillery tour is pretty good. Better when free (sign up here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154097563525445&l=3f10898582). You get a couple of drams and a free sniffter. Cruachan dam tour is also dry when Argyll weather hits.

If youve your booties there is a great boulder on the shore round by the sailing club in town. Like a pockety moon board by the sea.

If i think of any more bits il come back.

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
#14 Re: Oban Beta
July 15, 2017, 06:59:39 pm
Oh woops.. Wrong link (sorry Jonnie).

Here it is:

https://www.malts.com/en-gb/friends-of-the-classic-malts/

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#15 Re: Oban Beta
July 18, 2017, 09:38:23 pm
Finally getting time to sift through all the suggestions so far.

Thanks again you kind people.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal