UKBouldering.com

Downhill tracks (Read 8389 times)

SamT

• forum hero
#25 Re: Downhill tracks
December 10, 2020, 08:16:08 pm

Bombing down slopes in woods so steep that the back wheel is locked up dragging everything underneath tyre with it is more of an issue. After just a couple of runs this leaves exposed churned up soil.

These are the types of 'lines' I was alluding to.

UnkArl

• player
#26 Re: Downhill tracks
December 10, 2020, 08:27:58 pm
Sweet Jeebus that video is nuts!

Plattsy

• forum hero
#27 Re: Downhill tracks
December 10, 2020, 08:51:50 pm
It's alright folks. I've given up calling out poor behaviour unless they're climbers and the only stones I throw are at drones.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#28 Re: Downhill tracks
December 10, 2020, 09:30:26 pm

Yep, his descent of Earl Riser at 4:27 is impressive

Jesus Christ!  :o :o :o

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#29 Re: Downhill tracks
December 11, 2020, 01:54:35 am
That's brilliant.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#30 Re: Downhill tracks
December 11, 2020, 10:07:14 am
I think there is another element to it; modern mountain biking is very different to the kind of ‘rambling on wheels’ that it used to be, and is now portrayed as an extreme sport, as evidenced by the Ridgeline video. This means everyone wants to ‘schralp’ and ‘roost’ their turns, which for most punters just means skidding more and creating more damage. There is no consideration given to the kind of soil and terrain. Old evidence actually suggests that a single bike does less damage than a single walker, but again I think that completely depends how the bike is ridden. I am totally embarrassed by pedal strike damage on the footpaths around Burbage, but when someone on Ride Sheffield or Peak MTB called it out, he was shouted down.

YouTube now gives much more  access to those kind of images and ideas, and modern bikes are massively more capable than they used to be. A modern trail bike has geometry that would make a 10 year old downhill bike blush. When riders are not only riding in areas with no trails or paths but creating their own, and even in some instances digging out and creating features, berms and jumps with no consideration for ecology and wildlife, let alone rights of way, I think that is way too far over the line.

As with much in life, it’s a numbers issue; a couple of kids building a little jump out of the way in the local wood does no great harm, but a long jump line that is YouTubed and Stravaed is much more of a problem.

Couple those factors with lockdown, lack of alternative weekend activities and the explosion in bike sales and it’s no wonder damage and conflict is increasing. Many of those new riders have no knowledge of, or interest in, rights of way and are coming to the sport from a different direction, much like wall climbers venturing outside. The Peak has been insanely busy this year, so much so I have all but given up going out there.

Perhaps it will all calm down next year.

I write all this as a long time mountain biker, roadie and (pretty much ex) climber, so no particular axe to grind.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 10:23:48 am by tlr »

kac

• addict
#31 Re: Downhill tracks
December 11, 2020, 10:57:13 am
Sadly I think it is getting worse. A few weeks ago I came across a couple of mountain bikers on a footpath in ecclesall woods where there is a bridleway that runs pretty much parallel. I politely let them know this to get shouted at that I need to get my eyes checked. The next day I came across a large and clueless group on the path above burbage south. Again I politely let them know it was a footpath. In both cases im pretty sure it was stupidity and they genuinely didn't know they shouldn't be riding there. Its been sad to see the damage to the rocks on the burbage south path getting worse and worse. Anyway I posted about it on ukc to get basically shouted down.

T_B

• forum hero
#32 Re: Downhill tracks
December 11, 2020, 11:28:30 am
Some good posts on here.

I’ve thought about this a fair bit having been running in the Peak the past 5 years. The paths are getting wider and wider in places and as Neil said above, that’s walkers/runners, as well as bikers.

They could do more of what they’ve done on Derwent Edges (man made path), but the runners and bikers will still look for the line of least resistance. Check out Whinstone Lee Tor right now. What was a subtle trod is now a massive mud fest of a separate path.

I’d like to think that more signage would help? It’s not exactly clear where riders can and can’t go and whilst a big sign is an eyesore I wouldn’t be averse to one being plonked at either end of Burbage South.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#33 Re: Downhill tracks
December 11, 2020, 12:07:48 pm
A no bikes sign seems like the obvious solution for burbage. Maybe with a line about bikes only allowed on bridleways etc..

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#34 Re: Downhill tracks
December 11, 2020, 12:10:37 pm
I think there have been far more bell-ends out and about this year, or at least a higher concentration of them.

Friends of mine who have been involved in low-key MTB trail building in Macclesfield forest for years, which has always been tolerated by UU who own the land, have been pulling out hair at the number of Monster sipping Bros who have started treating the area like a bike park: riding footpaths on busy weekends and even building jump lines that cross walking trails. This is clearly both antisocial and stupid.

They attribute this to high-profile YouTube vids signposting areas that aren't suitable for large numbers of riders, and where basic common-sense and etiquette aren't being pushed.

I think TLR's point that people want to ride more 'gravity' focussed trails than were popular in the past is exactly right. The issue is, with UK Bike Parks and organised racing closed for most of the year, that there's not enough suitable terrain within reach to go around.

I'll ride footpaths all year - but I'm very selective about when and where. The last thing I want is to piss people off or risk injuring someone and add to the pile of anecdotes about inconsiderate MTBers.

The Ridgeline dig is a pretty extreme example, but I do believe the impact of riding considerately is very low. The cheeky trails on Ilkley Moor are mostly invisible after a winter of being left alone. However if they get a lot of traffic when it's wet I have no doubt they'll look like motorways - which is why I won't ride them until they're dried out.

I see a lot of parallels to climbing, for example with the BMC seeking to 'ban' climbing on Southern Sandstone to reduce damage. Part of the solution has to be helping people to understand the impact of their activities.

I think building a trail in your average bit of woodland does no more damage than leaving chalk on a boulder problem - but accept there are plenty of factors that might mean it is not OK.

I do also know that when I walk through Caley with my 75 year old dad he can't help pointing out the "mess" of chalk on the rock, I presume on the assumption I'm partially responsible, but he's never raised concern about the MTB trails intermittently popping out of the undergrowth.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#35 Re: Downhill tracks
December 15, 2020, 12:01:31 am
At least the trailforks app appears to have spared the peak a lot of exposure. Some places round here have had every single conceivable line shared, and as a result are just about unrideable now, it's steep woodland, and trashed.

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
#36 Re: Downhill tracks
December 15, 2020, 08:57:31 am
A no bikes sign seems like the obvious solution for burbage. Maybe with a line about bikes only allowed on bridleways etc..

A  no chalk sign seems like the obvious solution  to stop donkey lines on every gritstone crag in the Peak?

If people are being dicks by riding too fast past walkers or not brushing off their donkey lines, a sign telling them not to is not going to help. Education is key and that needs to come from the organisations that are setup to represent their members interests like the BMC and British Cycling.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#37 Re: Downhill tracks
December 15, 2020, 11:23:19 am
The mtb cause same damage as walkers line is horseshit.

Many many footpaths in the peak, some that were faint trods for years, have been completely rutted out by bikes. Irony being once that happens bikers go round the ruts and they end up as 'motorways'. This was happening pre-COVID.
I've no hope it will change.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal