places to visit > abroad

Travel insurance

<< < (2/8) > >>

sxrxg:
Think £30 is about the going rate. Just be thankful you haven't spent any nights in hospital recently or your son has had a recent operation... the price goes through the roof (and the BMC will not cover for it at all!)

If you want an alternative to the BMC you could try www.sportscoverdirect.com, they seem to have good grasp of what bouldering/climbing is from speaking to the them and they also will consider pre existing medical conditions on a case by case basis without the prices ramping up too much.

dave:
I have also used holidaysafe and snowcard in the past for cover.

Lets face it 30 bananas is fuck all compared to the cost of the ferry or eurotunnel, the cost of accommodation, the cost of the food and beer you'll drink when you're over there, the cost of petrol, and the cost of rockshoes, I'm constantly amazed that climbers, other than ones actually on the dole, baulk at paying a nominal sum for insurance.

But yes, Bear Grylls is a cunt.

fatneck:
Thanks for the advice peeps! BMC works out the cheapest out of Dogtag, sportscoverdirect and TGIC...

WillRobertson:
I've used Club Direct before (from memory "bouldering with pads" was included as standard), and they were very helpful after my girlfriend (same insurance) broke her ankle in Font. It looks like you can only get travel insurance through their sister company Columbus Direct now, but they may be worth a look.

We definitely paid a lot less than 30 squids for 8 days in Font.

remus:
While we're griping about the cost of insurance...

I bought a year policy from the BMC for europe but had a trip to rocklands planned so thought Id just pay the difference to upgrade to a worldwide for the 2 months left on the policy. 120 fucking smackeroos later I was suitably fucked off.

1 year europe policy = £128
1 year worldwide policy = £182
5 week standalone worldwide policy = £129

10 months europe + 2 months worldwide = £250!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version