UKBouldering.com

Travel insurance (Read 3952 times)

tk421a

• addict
#25 Re: Travel insurance
February 09, 2024, 01:06:52 pm
My understanding is it's as Barrows says.

There are some places that do top up insurance

https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/insurance/rock-climbing/

There's also Austrian Alpine Club membership with a top up insurance possible if you want greater cover / longer duration.

T_B

• forum hero
#26 Re: Travel insurance
February 09, 2024, 02:11:52 pm
I’d check whether a standard insurance policy covers you for being on a combined work and holiday trip?

What are you wanting to insure against? You might want to look at a Global Rescue annual policy if you’re after medical evacuation/repatriation in the scenario of landing on your head at Araps. Depends on the trip duration but annual cover for max 45 day trip is USD359.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#27 Re: Travel insurance
February 09, 2024, 02:17:09 pm
I’d check whether a standard insurance policy covers you for being on a combined work and holiday trip?

Sorry, I don't understand this; I have standard travel insurance through the uni for the work section, but obviously that doesn't cover the climbing bit.

What are you wanting to insure against? You might want to look at a Global Rescue annual policy if you’re after medical evacuation/repatriation in the scenario of landing on your head at Araps. Depends on the trip duration but annual cover for max 45 day trip is USD359.

Yeah, basically this. Its not particularly likely given we're going to spend most of the trip pottering up severes and I have done trips in the past where I haven't bothered but as I get older it seems sensible...I'll check out Global Rescue, cheers!

T_B

• forum hero
#28 Re: Travel insurance
February 09, 2024, 02:24:47 pm
OK I missed that you had a travel policy through work.

Travel policies all seem to be written with ‘day of departure from your home country’ in them. So yeah, you might be best just to get something like Global Rescue and if your stuff is stolen from Nati claim on the work policy?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#29 Re: Travel insurance
February 09, 2024, 02:29:30 pm
Nah don't think I made that clear, sorry! The uni insurance covers me while I'm doing the work/research and issues around flights etc. I'm not fussed about personal/contents insurance as I don't own anything valuable enough to bother claiming, its purely for medical expenses.

I think Paul's Snowcard annual option works out cheapest so far. Global Rescue looks hardcore!

Bradders

• forum hero
#30 Re: Travel insurance
February 09, 2024, 02:35:36 pm
Is that really true? Given it's a restriction in the terms, I'd was under the understanding they'd use it as a loophole to avoid paying out for anything... i.e., your policy would be void from the word go (like if you failed to disclose a pre-existing medical condition - I think they can void the policy even if a claim doesn't relate to the condition itself?)

I'd have to look at the policy terms to say 100% but what SM quoted didn't look like it's in the terms it's just an FAQ, and as I say looks to be based around covering the company by giving advice that ensures full coverage.

T_B

• forum hero
#31 Re: Travel insurance
February 09, 2024, 02:54:36 pm
Trip duration affects the premium.

If you make a claim you will need to provide evidence of your travel dates (for obvious reasons - unless you think people don’t try and take out policies after they’ve left their home country).

tk421a

• addict
#32 Re: Travel insurance
February 09, 2024, 03:09:18 pm
Sportscover top up is £79 for 2 weeks trad climbing in Araps.

Isn't snowcard annual around £2-300 when I've had it in the past? Of course if you're doing a few trips would be worth it. I've claimed broken electronics from them in the past.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#33 Re: Travel insurance
February 09, 2024, 04:45:12 pm
Deleted as I realised I was replying to a very old message!

Paul B

• forum hero
#34 Re: Travel insurance
February 09, 2024, 04:55:00 pm
I'd have to look at the policy terms to say 100% but what SM quoted didn't look like it's in the terms it's just an FAQ, and as I say looks to be based around covering the company by giving advice that ensures full coverage.

It's in the terms. We ended up putting in a relatively big claim in Madagascar for transport and medical treatment and the first thing I had to do was provide evidence of my flights.

tk421a

• addict
#35 Re: Travel insurance
February 09, 2024, 04:59:51 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-67795261

Relevant example. Person was on holiday in Kenya, family fly back to UK. Gets new policy but did not start / end trip in UK, claim rejected.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal