UKBouldering.com

Sharma big new DWS line (Read 4795 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Durbs

• forum hero
#1 Re: Sharma big new DWS line
June 23, 2017, 12:24:09 pm
A Sharmalegend shirley? He's beyond waddage IMO...

Durbs

• forum hero
#2 Re: Sharma big new DWS line
June 23, 2017, 12:28:37 pm
Regarding the route though - only 4 days to work, compared to months (years?) for Es Pontas and five years for Alsasha (which I'd never heard of).

“one of the best routes of my life… an absolute dream line." In quality one assumes

IanP

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Sharma big new DWS line
June 23, 2017, 12:39:30 pm
Regarding the route though - only 4 days to work, compared to months (years?) for Es Pontas and five years for Alsasha (which I'd never heard of).

“one of the best routes of my life… an absolute dream line." In quality one assumes

I guess not that hard in terms of numbers, but having canoed and swam under the Pont D'Arc its a properly impressive piece of rock and to DWS it ground up is amazing.  I imagine bolting around there wouldn't be acceptable (it's a real tourist sight) and so it's just be sitting there waiting for a legend to come and do it the best style possible.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Sharma big new DWS line
June 23, 2017, 02:12:21 pm
This.

Plus it's higher than the others i think.

Doylo

• forum hero
#5 Re: Sharma big new DWS line
June 23, 2017, 05:33:37 pm
 He said it's around 8b+. I've paddled under it when I was a youth too.

Kingy

• forum hero
#6 Re: Sharma big new DWS line
June 23, 2017, 05:37:37 pm
I imagine bolting around there wouldn't be acceptable

This is confirmed from the following comment on the 8a.nu news item:

...The spot is protected and it is forbidden to bolt as this is a listed area (if not it would have been developped since the late 80's, early 90's). There has been only one line bolted something like 28 years ago on the top of the arch for a tv spot for the "Département de Ardèche" (which takes name from the river that you see on the picture); a 7b for the sake of clarity but not longer permitted. The crazy thing is that this is a spot of dws since more that 30 years and a lot of local climbers like myself and one of my brothers when I was still living here, have done some short lines on the left (first 10/12mt more or less) before hanging and jump, but there was never ever the idea (nor the level) to imagine such a beautiful/crazy thing. Hats off Mr Sharma for the vision and the balls!!!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#7 Re: Sharma big new DWS line
June 23, 2017, 06:24:48 pm
I climbed as far as the cave, when living there. It felt a long f'ing way up, at the time and I was sure I was going to end up splattered on the deck of a Kayak, because they just kept coming.
For reference, the cave I mean is just hidden, about 15-20' below Mr S in this photo:

The man has serious nads. I absolutely shat bricks that day. It was way beyond me to continue, had no chance of down climbing and I basically hung on until I fell and then tried to look like I'd meant it to happen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ged

• junky
#8 Re: Sharma big new DWS line
June 23, 2017, 06:41:13 pm
Bloody hell thats enourmous.

Doylo

• forum hero
#9 Re: Sharma big new DWS line
June 23, 2017, 07:01:19 pm
I'm surprised the rivers deep enough .

lemony

• player
#10 Re: Sharma big new DWS line
June 23, 2017, 08:08:58 pm
We spent all our childhood holidays in the ardeche, I find it hard to process the idea of DWSing that, it's enormous! I used to shit myself jumping out of that popuar little cave at about 8m, the thought of going more than 3 times that high...

I want to go back there now, one of my favourite places on earth.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#11 Re: Sharma big new DWS line
June 23, 2017, 08:21:55 pm
We spent all our childhood holidays in the ardeche, I find it hard to process the idea of DWSing that, it's enormous! I used to shit myself jumping out of that popuar little cave at about 8m, the thought of going more than 3 times that high...

I want to go back there now, one of my favourite places on earth.

Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Sharma big new DWS line
June 24, 2017, 10:29:10 am
I went on a climbing trip in 93 - and I'm sure there were routes on the lh side of the arch as well as one up the middle (as suggested in the article). We never went near them though.. plenty more to play at...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal