UKBouldering.com

Changing the BMC (Read 140256 times)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#475 Re: Changing the BMC
March 01, 2021, 09:29:27 am
Offwidth, I know you are more "in the know" than the average membner but these rants are doing no-one, especially the BMC any good.

For those* who seem to believe that the BMC is some inwards looking petty political fetish club, let me put your mind at rest.

Seconded, from my position as an area volunteer I do not recognise the picture Offwidth paints of a 'political fetish club '  :lol:

If it is going on its pretty localised and isnt filtering down very far.

tomtom

• forum hero
#476 Re: Changing the BMC
March 01, 2021, 09:33:37 am
No fetish? I want my money back! 😂

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#477 Re: Changing the BMC
March 01, 2021, 11:08:35 am
That’s good to hear galpinis. TT- you may have to look further afield I am afraid.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#478 Re: Changing the BMC
March 01, 2021, 11:21:42 am
Offwidth, I know you are more "in the know" than the average membner but these rants are doing no-one, especially the BMC any good.

For those* who seem to believe that the BMC is some inwards looking petty political fetish club, let me put your mind at rest.

Seconded, from my position as an area volunteer I do not recognise the picture Offwidth paints of a 'political fetish club '  :lol:

If it is going on its pretty localised and isnt filtering down very far.

Yet. The behaviours that led to last ructions  didn't filter down very far at all before they became public. I'd be delighted if I end up looking like a fool howling at the moon.

People can't deny I'm a dedicated fan of the BMC, which to me is mainly the staff and the volunteers who do useful stuff on behalf of members and the wider community. This comes with necessary governance functions that following the recent changes sadly proved to be less robust than most expected. The Board and Council should be enabling custodians. The Council seems to be working well enough but the Board has clearly struggled and in that as much through personality issues in its politics, as strategy or finance. It would be a tragedy if things went wrong again at the point where clear improvements are being put in place.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#479 Re: Changing the BMC
March 17, 2021, 04:54:46 pm
There is an Open Forum tomorrow night at 7pm focussed on the lengthy Governance report. Tickets for the forum here

In other news Andy Syme, Deputy President is running for President with support of Lynn Robinson the current President. I’m not aware of any other runners.

I gather a part time Finance Person has been recruited to the Office who will be part of the Senior Management team - don’t know who.

No word yet on a new CEO.

I believe there are still openings available for the new NC roles nationally representing the separate disciplines of Rock Climbing, Indoor Climbing and Mountaineering.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/agm-volunteers

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#480 Re: Changing the BMC
March 23, 2021, 10:18:17 am
Andy Syme has posted his election supporting statement for President on the “BMC Watch” Facebook page with a pitch to get brexit governance done.

Over the last few years the BMC has been striving to improve its governance. I would make it my personal mission to see these changes through to a conclusion as swiftly as possible. With my extensive work on the constitutional changes to date I believe I am uniquely well equipped to take a leading role to ensure this happens and help the BMC to return focus to its core purposes of serving the hill walking, climbing and mountaineering communities to the best of its abilities.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#481 Re: Changing the BMC
May 05, 2021, 01:27:20 pm
AGM is on Saturday 15th May - full details here

No one is contesting Andy Syme for President. Also notable is that Offwidth (Steve Clark) is standing uncontested for the new position of NC rep for rock climbing which has put the cat amongst the pigeons in some quarters. Unfortunately no one has applied for the same role representing Indoor Climbers.

Paul Davies the Interim CEO has been appointed permanently to the positionThis looks like a good appointment.

This is on the back of the appointment of a new Head for GB climbing

abarro81

• forum hero
#482 Re: Changing the BMC
May 05, 2021, 01:32:49 pm
For those of us who aren't really in the loop with BMC stuff, is there anything worth voting on?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#483 Re: Changing the BMC
May 05, 2021, 01:52:37 pm
For those of us who aren't really in the loop with BMC stuff, is there anything worth voting on?

Given that only a small % of the membership vote I’d say it’s important to vote otherwise voting is dominated by a small interested minority who can wield too much power.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#484 Re: Changing the BMC
May 05, 2021, 02:14:16 pm

Given that only a small % of the membership vote I’d say it’s important to vote otherwise voting is dominated by a small interested minority who can wield too much power.

I would have also posed Barrow’s question here; after a quick perusal of the Agenda there doesn’t appear to be any ‘ClimbUK’ or attempted Kernow Coups on there, and I’m not really bothered about who the directors are. As such I will very much be leaving it to the small interested minority, who are not doubt poring over the accounts to raise objections as we speak!

Teaboy

• forum hero
#485 Re: Changing the BMC
May 05, 2021, 02:24:25 pm
Unfortunately no one has applied for the same role representing Indoor Climbers.

Do you mean the same role or is there an equivalent role for indoor climbers?

galpinos

• forum hero
#486 Re: Changing the BMC
May 05, 2021, 02:30:17 pm
Unfortunately no one has applied for the same role representing Indoor Climbers.

There an equivalent role for indoor climbers.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#487 Re: Changing the BMC
May 05, 2021, 02:32:48 pm

Equivalent.

4 roles in total representing rock climbing, walking, mountaineering and indoor climbers:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/agm-volunteers

One of the requirements of the role was to help sort out what the role does 🙃

tomtom

• forum hero
#488 Re: Changing the BMC
May 05, 2021, 04:32:13 pm
Can we change the thread title?

Option 1: remove the colon and space after re and replace with a hyphen

Option 2: add a question mark at the end

😁

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#489 Re: Changing the BMC
May 05, 2021, 05:11:55 pm
AGM is on Saturday 15th May - full details here

No one is contesting Andy Syme for President. Also notable is that Offwidth (Steve Clark) is standing uncontested for the new position of NC rep for rock climbing which has put the cat amongst the pigeons in some quarters. Unfortunately no one has applied for the same role representing Indoor Climbers.

Paul Davies the Interim CEO has been appointed permanently to the positionThis looks like a good appointment.

This is on the back of the appointment of a new Head for GB climbing

Hardly 'cats and pigeons' about my candidacy for Nationally Elected Councillor for Rock Climbing. On BMC Watch, Les Ainsworth and Bob Pettigrew are the only two named members who are supposedly upset (plus I have my fingers crossed that Les has been duped.... as it's unlike him and he doesn't 'do' social media enough to fully see himself what I've actually said online). Les has sadly written an unfortunate polemic, complaining about internet abuse (with no sense of irony), targeting me, posted on his behalf by Ian Lonsdale.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2241207952632038/permalink/3897138223705661/?app=fbl

Andy Syme has called this behaviour out on BMC Watch as unacceptable. I really admire Andy's optimism in trying to unify all the BMC political factions and I'm sorry that my standing for election has broken that truce already (Les and Bob are written supporters of his Presidential candidacy). If elected I'll probably keep a lower profile on the external political front, to help Andy (if elected) in his aims... plus I'll try and listen to everyone who contacts me with input to the area of work. I'm very used to being a member's representative for a membership of widely different views, having done that professionally in my union for decades at local and national levels. I was very unpopular with the SWP in my union but managed to work with them without descending to their level of dirty tactics.

On the CEO appointment, I'm very happy for Paul Davies. He is apparently doing a good job and working well with staff and key volunteers.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#490 Re: Changing the BMC
January 18, 2022, 10:31:47 am
So thought I’d do an update in advance of upcoming area meetings although what is actually going on is hard to tell from the outside

- Open Forums seem to have died a death which is a shame

- Alex Messenger (long-standing Marketing and Communications Manager) has left

- The part time Chief Financial Officer, Paul McKeon who had only been in post for about 6 months has left to “put more time into a personal project”. The plan is to find a replacement

- A Chief Commercial Officer has been appointed, Gavin Finch who has a background with other sporting bodies. This is the no.2 role to the Chief Exec, Paul Davies. Neither are climbers. Paul’s public profile has been invisible to date and it seems that the Board backing away from delivery to more oversight has taken longer than expected

- There have been no Board minutes or even summaries published since June which is in contravention to the articles. Andy Syme President says this is due to Board workload and lack of time to review minutes

- More positively a new Chair, Roger Murray has been appointed. Strong background and a good guy from my brief chat with him a few years ago

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#491 Re: Changing the BMC
January 18, 2022, 10:50:49 am
They seem to have ditched the slightly faffy Eventbrite registration. If you're on the mailing list there should be a Zoom link there. If not Tony Ryan - tony@thebmc.co.uk – might get you the local link (if not too late).

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#492 Re: Changing the BMC
January 18, 2022, 11:27:58 am
They seem to have ditched the slightly faffy Eventbrite registration. If you're on the mailing list there should be a Zoom link there. If not Tony Ryan - tony@thebmc.co.uk – might get you the local link (if not too late).

This is correct. The local link can be used at any point and the area chairs have been emailed them, so can distribute them as required/put on FB etc.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#493 Re: Changing the BMC
March 02, 2022, 08:40:03 am
There is an online open forum tonight at 7pm with presentations by the new Chair, Commercial Manager and Head of Performance for GB Climbing then discussion about proposed tweaks to articles (constitution).

Registration and further details here: https://thebmc.co.uk/bmc-open-forum-invitation

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#494 Re: Changing the BMC
May 19, 2022, 04:48:32 pm
Online AGM was held last night with about 50 logging in. Well organised with the opportunity to pose questions via the messaging system.

No particularly contentious items on the agenda although David Brown was agitated by one article change that I didn’t understand. 

New Chair Roger Murray kicked off the contagious trope of the evening of ‘space’ with things happening in this or that space.

Board is temporarily depleted in numbers following departures of Jonathan White, Johnny Dry and Diane Hopper. Reasons were provided.

Finances and membership numbers surprisingly healthy.

I had a question about GB Climbing and it was abundantly clear from the answer that it was not running anywhere nearly independently as intended. The decision to create an independent department for GB Climbing sounded like an unworkable fudge at the time and that has proved to be the case. Paul Davies even described it being independent as undesirable.

Following a question from Rodney Gallagher there was a promise that the allocation of spending from latest Sport England grant would be drawn up and made public.

It transpired that none of the money was for hillwalking despite that being the biggest growth area but assurances were made by Andy Syme President that Sport England would be lobbied in ‘this space’

There is a new Chief Financial Officer - Joelie Chisholm - which is good news.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#495 Re: Changing the BMC
May 19, 2022, 05:31:50 pm
I thought you would understand David's concerns as I thought Mark Anstis made a similar point on BMC watch.

Using the method of a Board led AGM vote to make a change to the objects of the BMC (the organisation's legal stated purpose)  would under the MOU normally go to much more extensive democratic debate (normally twice to local areas): it does seem to me to be incredibly heavy handed, even allowing for governance fatigue in areas. Despite this, mine was very much a minority view as minutes will show it was supported by Council by a large majority.

I broadly support the change but not the process of it and I worry that sets a bad precedent (I'm all for minimising area governance debates as much as possible, but not removing it completely in a democratic members led organisation). Also like David I don't quite understand why the need for this suddenly arose as the BMC has always actively encouraged recruitment of this type (of those seriously interested or already participating), especially through clubs. The technical issue comes from a sub clause in an appendix to the Moulton report from years ago: in a statement that has multiple provisos.  I do understand the genuine concerns raised, that Andy and others told us they ended up dealing with this a lot on email, and would love to find out why (partly as the level of pressure on this seemed new.... and that it's a pretty odd political agitation).

As ever I disagree with your views on GB climbing. The main lack of independence Paul described was one of the reasons I was glad they chose what they did: avoiding the need to expensively duplicate back office functions.

I do agree they need to deliver the previously promised improvement in support for hillwalking. Things have improved a bit but not to the level promised. Other promises were also delayed (partly due to covid), notably the website improvements.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#496 Re: Changing the BMC
July 07, 2023, 12:50:08 pm
I’m a bit out of the loop these days but it seems the BMC is having a financial crisis and the Head of Finance has handed her notice in. From what I’ve heard ballooning costs at GBClimbing and lack of projected membership growth seem to have contributed to a massively increased projected deficit. Cost cutting is under way. Sadly two in Access and Environment have already gone and a further redundancy is on the cards. Carl Spencer, one of the Board members, has just confirmed on BMC Watch that he has resigned over this.

yetix

• forum abuser
#497 Re: Changing the BMC
July 07, 2023, 01:01:45 pm
To someone like me access is the sole reason I'd get BMC membership, the redunancies are a reason not to get membership...
I get that competition climbing is growing and honestly power to the BMC and the British team on that front but access to the UK as a climber/walker/outdoors focused person is the only thing of interest to me that the BMC can offer.

I get that my views won't be reflective of much of the membership, but I imagine there are a fair few who agree or at least feel access is important enough to something which cost cutting from should be avoided.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#498 Re: Changing the BMC
July 07, 2023, 01:07:20 pm
To someone like me access is the sole reason I'd get BMC membership, the redunancies are a reason not to get membership...
I get that competition climbing is growing and honestly power to the BMC and the British team on that front but access to the UK as a climber/walker/outdoors focused person is the only thing of interest to me that the BMC can offer.

I get that my views won't be reflective of much of the membership, but I imagine there are a fair few who agree or at least feel access is important enough to something which cost cutting from should be avoided.

Are you a member Dan? Would be interested to know how many keen outdoor boulderers/ general climbers on here aren't members. Anecdotally I know of a lot of people who climb a lot outside, care about access but aren't BMC members.

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#499 Re: Changing the BMC
July 07, 2023, 01:19:16 pm
Would be interested to know how many keen outdoor boulderers/ general climbers on here aren't members. Anecdotally I know of a lot of people who climb a lot outside, care about access but aren't BMC members.

I'm not a member. Not for any particular reason, I've just never given it any thought, it's never been mentioned by any of my climbing mates, I've never had any interaction with them, etc. I'm sure if I went and read up on what they do it would make me feel guilty about not being a member, like when I buy food that's not organic.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal