Changing the BMC (Read 143306 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#825 Re: Changing the BMC
March 24, 2024, 09:23:15 am
Hi Dave

Yes would be nice to keep everyone in the same big tent as long as no one monopolises an unfair share of the space inside.

It’s already the case that the Board doesn’t understand competitions because the Board members don’t come from that background and each new member has to go on a crash course on everything involved ie selection rules and procedures, appeals, safeguarding, distribution and application of UKS and SE grants, IFSC Red S policy etc etc. The attempt to manage it by outsourcing to a sub board (the CCPG) and recruiting and trusting professionals from other sporting bodies has backfired spectacularly.

The subsidiary option is a compromise to provide some distance accountability and transparency. I’d much prefer if it was entirely independent. Do we really want the hassle, stress, distraction and expense of running an NGB especially when the Board for the most do not have the experience or genuine interest. For an insight into the difficulties at an NGB check this out: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2024/mar/14/swim-englands-toxic-culture-must-go-it-is-time-for-sport-to-prioritise-joy

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#826 Re: Changing the BMC
March 24, 2024, 09:35:59 am

I have been generally following the BMC threads here and on UKC and although I disagree with the idea of having GBClimbing as a separate entity I really do agree with the need for greater transparency and better communication in terms of finances. Yours and Simon’s debate here around what the actual level of the deficit is, was and should be just highlights this for me.

If the finances were open and communicated more clearly then there wouldn’t be the need for a discussion about how much the deficit actually was, this would just be a fact.

This is why I have signed the petition for more openness and transparency for finances.

I support the sense of the petition, just not the misrepresentation in the background (so can't sign it). In fact I've been urging more openness since I joined Council in 2021.

On the subject of having a subsidiary, nothing I have read has altered my viewpoint on this that it is a bad idea. I really think we need to endeavour to keep as much of the climbing and mountaineering activities in the UK within the remit of the BMC. I genuinely fear that by making it a subsidiary this makes it much easier for it to be completely separated at some stage in the future when the board of the BMC decides it really doesn’t understand competitions and doesn’t want to be responsible for them.

Just my thoughts as a BMC member

Dave

It's more than that it's a very expensive mistaken proposal at a time when we need focus on other serious and urgent issues that need fixing.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#827 Re: Changing the BMC
March 24, 2024, 12:27:01 pm
I believe the best solution is for the BMC to remain both representative and governing body, but I signed both petitions because I’d like the issue discussed for this reason: the BMC currently does not look capable of being the NGB. Does it have the capacity to remedy this?

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#828 Re: Changing the BMC
March 24, 2024, 01:23:25 pm
Hi Simon

Thanks for the reply. To be fair I don’t exactly disagree with anything you have said it’s just I don’t like your solution!

I am not that bothered about the cost and time to the BMC of altering its structures as it is a member organisation and if the membership wish for change so be it.

My main concern is that I really don’t like the idea of segregating one part of what I personally consider the climbing and mountaineering world. I fear that the BMC and by inference climbers in general will lose influence in national discussions. I also fear that by leaving competition climbing to its own that both the comp climbing community and the usual climbing community will become divorced from each other. I understand that there is already a gulf between the two worlds but I am a climber and mountaineer who genuinely enjoys watching the comp climbing and finds it very inspiring (if a little hard to relate to). I also do the odd local casual comp and get my son to do the same. If it turns out he is any good at comps I think it would be great if he could do national comps etc and I don’t see a reason why we wouldn’t want national and elite comps to be governed and run by the BMC. As such I want the two worlds to stay under the same governing and representative body.

Personally I see this as a problem of management and personnel within the BMC and not so much a structural issue. If the board could get a few more people on it that had at least an interest in comp climbing I think this would help.

Anyway, I applaud your efforts here Simon. Maybe you should join the board of the BMC??

Cheers Dave

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#829 Re: Changing the BMC
March 24, 2024, 01:32:13 pm
I believe the best solution is for the BMC to remain both representative and governing body, but I signed both petitions because I’d like the issue discussed for this reason: the BMC currently does not look capable of being the NGB. Does it have the capacity to remedy this?

This.
With knobs on.

You really don’t need to know much more than the number of resignations and see the volume of chatter, to develop a cautious attitude to the BMC as an organisation. If we’d been presented with this kind of stuff, during due diligence, prior to entering into business with another party, I’m certain my entire board would have declined to proceed.
I hate corporate jargon, but the “optics” of this, uh, suck big ones.

I think Simon is absolutely correct to be miffed and every “explanation” (official or otherwise) I’ve read has seemed hollow and insincere. In my opinion, with what seems like obfuscation and certainty incoherent, messaging from the body, it’s starting feel like something other than “mistakes”.
Why can’t it be laid out clearly and decisively? Mistakes happen. Lay it out and state what will be done to avoid it in the future. Did I miss that? Has it been done?
Nobody outside the inner sanctum can really say what’s happened, how bad it is or see what’s to be done and “better than it could have been” doesn’t help. Where I’ve read the opinions of “insiders”, who appear to have broken ranks with the sanctum, they are universally negative and appear accusational (but guarded) of something deeper and darker.
FFS, clear it up.
Or would that be the end of the BMC? 
It can’t be that bad, surely?
It was a massive undertaking and huge culture change, nobody should be surprised by even quite large screw ups.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal