UKBouldering.com

Boulder UK Blackburn shutting (Read 8600 times)

Alex Smurthwaite

• addict
  • "If you don't let go, you can't fall off !" Jerry
Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 05, 2017, 05:57:38 pm
Says on the website it's shutting when the new one at preston opens. Later this year

User deactivated

• stalker
#1 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 05, 2017, 06:20:05 pm
Bloody gutted, I've just been in this afternoon and they kept that one quiet. Think it is such a great wall, brilliant setting and good crossover for climbing outdoors. I'm sure the new wall will be great too but will probably be too far for me to get too regularly.

Bury is bit of a shitter for getting to a wall now, lots of options 40 or so minutes away but nothing any nearer. 40 minutes both ways is a long way for sometimes just an hours training.

Alex Smurthwaite

• addict
  • "If you don't let go, you can't fall off !" Jerry
#2 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 05, 2017, 06:35:33 pm
Bloody gutted, I've just been in this afternoon and they kept that one quiet. Think it is such a great wall, brilliant setting and good crossover for climbing outdoors. I'm sure the new wall will be great too but will probably be too far for me to get too regularly.

Bury is bit of a shitter for getting to a wall now, lots of options 40 or so minutes away but nothing any nearer. 40 minutes both ways is a long way for sometimes just an hours training.

Exactly! Last time was there everyone was saying how they it stays open. Big Mistake

User deactivated

• stalker
#3 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 05, 2017, 06:44:55 pm
I'm not sure it's a mistake, I'd expect it is a thought out business decision, Again that is not to say i'm not bothered by it. Was my closest wall and also my favourite.

andy_e

• forum hero
#4 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 05, 2017, 09:56:15 pm
 :'(

teapot

• regular
#5 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 06, 2017, 08:04:32 am
Great opportunity for a private wall I reckon. I help run one with 40 members. We are CASC registered which helps keep costs down (90% discount on business rates). Not as hard to manage as you might think. Would definitely help to get members interested with having a preexisting wall. If Ian was supportive then it would help. Boulder UK could even act as a sponsor in some format. Shame to see another local small wall close.

abarro81

• forum hero
#6 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 06, 2017, 09:15:27 am
You'll just have to move to 'dudno and work in KFC Jack ;)

User deactivated

• stalker
#7 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 06, 2017, 11:34:31 am
You'll just have to move to 'dudno and work in KFC Jack ;)

Definitely an option! The KFC wasn't close enough for Ximo so he's relocated to a hotel right next to the orme! He'll be the gatekeeper next!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#8 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 06, 2017, 11:56:41 am
Great opportunity for a private wall I reckon. I help run one with 40 members. We are CASC registered which helps keep costs down (90% discount on business rates). Not as hard to manage as you might think. Would definitely help to get members interested with having a preexisting wall. If Ian was supportive then it would help. Boulder UK could even act as a sponsor in some format. Shame to see another local small wall close.

^^ Don't underestimate this as an option. Think about it- your own key, no time limits, small monthly subs...

Teaboy

• forum hero
#9 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 06, 2017, 12:01:36 pm
Is it really that much further? According to google maps it'll take me an extra 5 mins coming from Hasslingden area (based on an approximate guess if where it'll be). It's a few miles extra but on motorway

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#10 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 06, 2017, 12:29:33 pm
End of an era. Very sad.

I wish them all well with the Preston wall.

For me it would bump travel time up from 30min to 45min, so unfortunately I'm in a similar position to JackPal. Bugger.

User deactivated

• stalker
#11 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 06, 2017, 01:07:50 pm
Yep similar for me. Not that much further in reality, but probably what I'd consider too far to climb indoors. Bit of a double whammy really, losing one wall and the one that replaces it, which i'm pretty convinced will be brilliant, has the right people involved, top class setting in house and the know how on creating a wall with a good atmosphere, but it'll be just too far to get to regularly.

Oh to have a school room on your doorstep!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#12 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 06, 2017, 01:18:22 pm
Like teapot said, make it.   having been to the original schoolroom, I don't think our wall is much inferior tbh... only with more dust and fewer visiting superstars.

Paul B

• forum hero
#13 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 06, 2017, 03:55:15 pm
I'm not sure it's a mistake, I'd expect it is a thought out business decision, Again that is not to say i'm not bothered by it. Was my closest wall and also my favourite.

I'd suspect you're correct; for me, driving the extra distance is a no-brainer for what will be a marked jump in the quality of facilities on offer. I can see why local people love BUK (and the history thereof) but it's hard to deny it's anything other than fairly dated; facilities have moved on a tremendous amount.

but it'll be just too far to get to regularly.

Oh to have a school room on your doorstep!

I used to walk to the school room (Heeley) from Ranmoor! This might explain why I was so so light back then.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#14 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 06, 2017, 05:31:37 pm
I can see why local people love BUK (and the history thereof) but it's hard to deny it's anything other than fairly dated; facilities have moved on a tremendous amount.

Actually, I would argue that. Facilities have got bigger, but not always better. The giant walls now have circuit boards and massive woodies and yoga areas and pizza ovens. Apart from the woody, I don't care much about the other stuff. Bouldering on plywood hasn't moved on. In some places it seems to have moved backwards in terms of training relevance, with parkour problems, giant blob problems, volume daftness problems etc. I understand why these things appeal to the masses, and I enjoy them too, but they aren't great for getting better at rock climbing.

Boulder UK has always done plywood bouldering well, with good setting and good holds. That hasn't dated.

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 06, 2017, 05:44:12 pm
+1, except I don't enjoy them.

rodma

• forum hero
#16 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 06, 2017, 06:47:35 pm
I loved that wall. Great memories.

Proper angles, proper setting, bouncy matting

Paul B

• forum hero
#17 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
June 06, 2017, 11:05:20 pm
R-man  ;):
Code: [Select]
[/rosetint]
I loved that wall. Great memories.

I've got some footage from 'A5' day there, Malc, Barrans, yourself on a tape somewhere I just no longer have a way of getting it onto a PC.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#18 Re: Boulder UK Blackburn shutting
October 27, 2017, 11:23:08 am
Can't find a Boulder UK  Preston opening thread, but I went there the other day and it was great. Can't comment on the quality of the pizza oven but there were lots of cool problems on varied and interesting holds (and lots of different angles). Plus the main room colour scheme is nice and relaxing and they open the warehouse doors to get plenty of air in. Double woodies upstairs seemed decent, only the enduro-circuit boards were too small. Met biscuit and 10000dave too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal