UKBouldering.com

Honnold solos Freerider (Read 26350 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Honnold solos Freerider
June 03, 2017, 07:16:26 pm
Alex Honnold has repeated Freerider free solo in 3h56min. Source: National Geographic.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:32:51 pm by habrich, Reason: new subject title »

Wood FT

• forum hero
#1 Re: Re: significant repeats
June 03, 2017, 07:24:36 pm
bloody nora  :blink:

dave

#2 Re: Re: significant repeats
June 03, 2017, 07:26:07 pm
Read that news this afternoon and thought "fuck me". How hard is Freerider, like a 30-pitch E6 or something?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#3 Re: Re: significant repeats
June 03, 2017, 07:33:39 pm
slightly harder than The Fish, I suppose.

Doylo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Re: significant repeats
June 03, 2017, 08:12:13 pm
Read that news this afternoon and thought "fuck me". How hard is Freerider, like a 30-pitch E6 or something?

It's got a 7c+ pitch very high up!!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#5 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 03, 2017, 11:13:07 pm
Maybe not numerically the hardest thing ever soloed but the certainly the most awesomest for me. Like when Pete Croft soloed Astroman

ghisino

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Re: significant repeats
June 03, 2017, 11:14:41 pm

Or a 7b+ variation.

But in older interviews he seemed much more concerned about easier yet "screwable" sections, especially on the freeblast.

I remember one section of a 6c pitch just before the half dollar as scary delicate, even when having climbed a few slabs in the 7's in font...sneeze at the wrong moment and you're off.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#7 Re: Re: significant repeats
June 03, 2017, 11:41:18 pm
I remember one section of a 6c pitch just before the half dollar as scary delicate, even when having climbed a few slabs in the 7's in font...sneeze at the wrong moment and you're off.

I couldn't even dog it

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#8 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 04, 2017, 12:47:53 am
Wow... almost unbelievable. Amazing stuff...

Doylo

• forum hero
#9 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 04, 2017, 09:43:05 am
I was half expecting this last November . Irish Si was on Freerider and told me he saw Honnold working it. I felt sick then, glad I didn't know about it this time. Pretty much the only thing in climbing that I can't comprehend. Stronger people climbing physically hard things is just that. What Honnold does is hard to contemplate and understand. I guess soloing El Cap was his destiny. Glad he made it.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#10 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 04, 2017, 12:22:59 pm
Incredible. Hope he retires now!

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#11 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 04, 2017, 02:04:51 pm
Incredible. Hope he retires now!
   Brilliant. And in the way that all lights can shine for a while. Take care Alex.

steve__b

#12 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 04, 2017, 03:15:31 pm

Or a 7b+ variation.

But in older interviews he seemed much more concerned about easier yet "screwable" sections, especially on the freeblast.

Where is this 7b+ variant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghisino

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 04, 2017, 05:53:18 pm

Or a 7b+ variation.

Teflon corner. It's just a few meters to the side of the crux "Huber boulder problem" pitch.  Both very cool although opposite in style (stemming and pushing on a smooth corner VS face climbs on edges with a ninja crux).

Curious to know which way he chose for the solo.

steve__b

#14 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 04, 2017, 05:54:40 pm

Or a 7b+ variation.

Teflon corner. It's just a few meters to the side of the crux "Huber boulder problem" pitch.  Both very cool although opposite in style (stemming and pushing on a smooth corner VS face climbs on edges with a ninja crux).

I was under the impression this was 12d?

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#15 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 04, 2017, 05:56:07 pm
Retires from cutting-edge solos, I assume you mean?

Yep.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#17 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 04, 2017, 11:00:41 pm
Thanks for the link Duncan... the mind boggles.  It's an incredible feat.  I can't wrap my head around it.

ghisino

• forum abuser
#18 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 05, 2017, 07:01:52 am

Or a 7b+ variation.

I was under the impression this was 12d?

Had my grade math wrong!

Probably mislead by the brief rappel/rope solo inspection i had (one specific move on the huber boulder didn't suit me well, the teflon felt more "ok" than expected) 

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

dave

#20 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 05, 2017, 08:17:11 am
For the benefit of idiots like me, where else can soloing on ElCap go now? Are there any other routes on there that could theoretically be up for the solo approach by an on-form Honnold? I presume The Nose is too cruxy, how about Salathe?

Just trying to think where he goes from here. Does he carry on dossing in a van and pushing things hard, or just enjoy the tickertape parades for a few years?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#21 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 05, 2017, 09:35:06 am
Salathe would be much much harder, right? I seem to remember that it is 8b if you link the headwall pitches—as a soloist would have to do. I think Alain Robert is still the only one who has properly soloed an 8b (no draws in to grab if you freak out, crux in zone 3) and that was twenty almost thirty years ago.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#22 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 05, 2017, 09:43:52 am
I seem to remember that it is 8b if you link the headwall pitches—as a soloist would have to do.

You would probably have to link the 2 Endurance Corner pitches (as he did on Freerider before traversing left) straight into the roof pitch straight into the linked headwall pitch (so 5 standard pitches) - there may be a really poor knee bar scum rest between corner pitches but can't really remember any other proper rests in that whole section (I was aiding on the headwall so every move was a rest). Bridge in corner below roof? Pretty sustained section of climbing.

If I was Honlove, and wanted to do something bigger/harder etc I would be going for the Half Dome/El Cap double. Edit: If I was Honlove I would be partying and talking myself up for the next 30 years.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#23 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 05, 2017, 03:50:36 pm
first interview post climb.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/features/athletes/alex-honnold/interview-rope-free-solo-climb-yosemite-el-capitan/

very laid back, no shocker.

Next aim:  And I was also thinking in terms of life goals. This has been my biggest life goal for years. And the other one is to climb 9a—to sport climb real hard

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#24 Re: Honnold solos Freerider
June 05, 2017, 04:10:24 pm
“The international level is 9b+” as a french hardman told me when I congratulated him for sending a 9a/+....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal