UKBouldering.com

Tennis Elbow (Read 2891 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Tennis Elbow
May 29, 2017, 12:47:17 pm
Anyone had this? I'm not sure how I got it, certainly not from climbing! (not been climbing much)

Potentially from doing a lot of sand papering last month?

Anyway, it's got pretty bad, to the point that lifting a mug of tea was agony. Mainly gripping/pinching especially with a straighter arm.

Climbing seems to aggravate it, even though it isn't very noticeable at the time. I've been trying to rest, but it keeps flaring up.

Resorted to ibuprofen yesterday and that seems to have helped a lot. I think that maybe the underlying cause has gone, but now the inflamed tendons are self harming!

Off to the hebrides on Saturday for a week, so hoping to manage my way though that...!!

Any tips?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Tennis Elbow
May 29, 2017, 12:57:43 pm
Potentially from doing a lot of sand papering last month?

Almost definitely. If it was me, the first step I would take would be to find a strong sports massage / physio, and get them to go to work on your tight forearms. This was the first step I made in rehabbing, thereafter I went on a routine of working forearms intensely with a foam roller and doing forearms stretches, especially the brachioradialis stretch as per Julian Saunders'  "Dodgy Elbows" article.

And get an electric sander!

Failing that, take a surfboard!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#2 Re: Tennis Elbow
May 29, 2017, 01:14:01 pm
I haven't stretched my forearms much the last few years (stopped after getting a lot of tendons strains, but now realise I should maybe still have done some *after* climbing...) I think tight forearms are what led to a tweaked wrist I had last month (same arm).

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#3 Re: Tennis Elbow
May 29, 2017, 01:14:50 pm
P. S. Have an electric sander, but had a lot of awkward shapes that could only be hand sanded...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Tennis Elbow
May 29, 2017, 01:42:43 pm
a lot of awkward shapes that could only be hand sanded...

That's what she said.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#5 Re: Tennis Elbow
May 29, 2017, 04:17:20 pm
P. S. Have an electric sander, but had a lot of awkward shapes that could only be hand sanded...

Operating power tools is a classic for causing this.
Always amazes me how, despite all the training and climbing I do; a couple of days setting or construction work results in DOMs at best or some repetitive injury at worst.

Grab a Theraband and start some negatives (ecentrics) on the affected area.
Compression, ice, warming etc.

Loads of Vitamin I and a good massage ball, too.

m.cooke.1421

• regular
#6 Re: Tennis Elbow
June 02, 2017, 03:16:36 pm
I have had similarly bad tennis elbow in the past. I found that a lot of the exercises I found online were too intensive when it was so bad that I couldn't lift a cup of tea. I went to see a physio and they suggested sitting next to a table with your forearm on the table and your hand overhanging the edge with a straight wrist and fingers with your palm facing down. Using your other hand briefly push down on your fingers and resist it so that there is no movement. Do three sets of fifteen.  You should be able to feel it in your elbow but it doesn't want to hurt too much. Once it stopped hurting when doing the above I started doing wrist curls with a theraband.

neilslim

• regular
#7 Re: Tennis Elbow
June 03, 2017, 01:20:35 am
I've suffered from bad elbows before, and had good results using a theraband flexibar and an exercise called the reverse tyler twist... There's plenty of info on YouTube on that exercise

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal