UKBouldering.com

Topos for recent Peak Quarries (Hidden, Horsethief, Deep Rake etc etc etc)?? (Read 3950 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I'd rather subscribe to Highland Cattle Artificial Insemination Monthly than subscribe to the Rockfax app (and I couldn't see a way to just pay for the individual downloads on there, before uninstalling it and factory-resetting my phone to get rid of the lingering stench of homogenous mass-market honeypotting), so I'm wondering if there's any easier information on all the various recent mid-grade choss-heap developments?? Gary's Sports Climbs site seems to have been hacked and re-directing to some online shoe store so that's no help ATM.

Ta.

kc

• obsessive maniac
The south Wales stuff on his site seems to work but the Peak pages get a "404 not found".
Perhaps you could contact him?

HarryBD

• player
You can use wayback machine - https://web.archive.org/web/20190919190357/http://www.sportsclimbs.co.uk/mainpages/peak/Peak%20Index.htm

Not all the topos will be there but you’ll be able to find a bunch

andy popp

• forum hero
Gary's had some significant health issues recently. I'm not sure how much of a priority this would be right now.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Thanks guys (and andy for the warning), I've got some off the WBM.

remus

• forum hero
Aren't there topos for hidden quarry and horsethief in Peak Lime North? Deep rake is pretty easy to work out from the UKC logbook page as it's a small crag (think there might be a picture with some lines on in UKC too?).

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Unfortunately Peak Lime North, unless there's been a reprint, only has the old details for Hidden / Horse Thief, before the recent redevelopment. Yes I've managed to work out Deep Rake from photos etc.

kc

• obsessive maniac
The only worthwhile bit of Hidden quarry is the main wall aka John Allen's wall. And that's easy to work out using basic logbook descriptions. Unless you're into chossy adventures. Oh wait!

remus

• forum hero
Unfortunately Peak Lime North, unless there's been a reprint, only has the old details for Hidden / Horse Thief, before the recent redevelopment. Yes I've managed to work out Deep Rake from photos etc.

Sorry, should have read your first post more carefully!

kc

• obsessive maniac
Seems like Gary's site is up and running again, with the usual glitches of course.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Completely :offtopic: but isn’t it weird that sports is plural in the url?

Fatboyslimfast2

• regular
Like KC says, ja wall at hidden is only decent bit, and just do the routes around the left hand side. Horsetheif is shit. Apart from the red wall Goddards is appaling
 Any questions on Deep Rake ask away as it was me and Dom Lee that developed it.
Dale Quarry in Wirksworth defo worth a look, Handy Wallhole is excellent slabby lime 7aish and well worth visiting on its own. Other stuff like Underground resistance, Ascent Given, Higher Ominous Bush all unpolished and unusually tech for peak lime. Steeper stuff on left with Steam punk and Runaway Van. If you need info let us know.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
The only worthwhile bit of Hidden quarry is the main wall aka John Allen's wall. And that's easy to work out using basic logbook descriptions. Unless you're into chossy adventures. Oh wait!

Oi! What are you insinuating?? Actually, as much as I genuinely like rambling ledge shuffling choss on Lleyn etc, I really can't stand it on most inland crags especially sedate lime quarries. There's something about the grandeur and setting of sea-cliff climbing along with interesting rock formations and relatively easy climbing that just makes the choss seem so much more fitting. In Peak lime quarries it's just grim and unaesthetic (actually you could edit some superfluous words out of that sentence).

Anyway I went to Hidden the other day and that Main Wall is genuinely good. Did all apart from the 7a+, some had a nice traddy feel up cracks etc. Also went to Deep Rake previously (cheers slimboyfatfast, what a find, I hope it wasn't too costly in sika reinforcement), my guts were bad so only did the 3 6s on the left (all pleasant) and dogged the left most 7b. Deffo going to go back there. Horsethief I mostly want to go to because of the name, I've realised it's a bit bumbly looking. Dale is deffo on the list too. Cheers guys :)

IanP

• forum abuser
Deep Rake looks good, I've assumed it is a bit warm when it's sunny (think it faces South).  I'll add Hall Dale to my list - generally looking for stuff with a good mix for 6c-7a+ for my daughter and a  bit harder for me, also generally avoiding really busy mainstream crags as she finds them a bit intimidating.

Fiend, assume you've done Masson Lees - last week everything was really dry and well climbed.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I've been to Masson a couple of times, I think I'm banned after last time though, it was full of families and groups and I fell off the very top of Long Black Veil and let out a tourettes-a-thon that could be heard in Matlock :( Also I've heard it's been rammed hence going to lesser known places.

IanP

• forum abuser
I've been to Masson a couple of times, I think I'm banned after last time though, it was full of families and groups and I fell off the very top of Long Black Veil and let out a tourettes-a-thon that could be heard in Matlock :( Also I've heard it's been rammed hence going to lesser known places.

A frustrating place to fall but you won't be the only one  :).  Hasn't been too busy when we've been there (midweek daytime) and with everything dry plenty of space for people to spread out. 

andy popp

• forum hero
Seems like Gary's site is up and running again, with the usual glitches of course.

Gary has just announced on FB that he's closing his website permanently.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Hmmmm. Was chatting to him the previous weekend and he mentioned he was getting it transferred to Wordpress so he could update it easier?? He was down at Cheedale Cornice just for the crack (I was climbing with a mate of his) - his right hand was pretty rigid from nerve decompression surgery and obviously he was a wee bit doddery from the stroke, but he was in good spirits and had good chat - still keen for the big 5K!

andy popp

• forum hero

Gary has just announced on FB that he's closing his website permanently.

Gary's now saying he's managed to rescue his site. He's looking for donations to pay for domain fees etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal