UKBouldering.com

"FUUUUUCCCCCKKK" makes you stronger... (Read 5185 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
"FUUUUUCCCCCKKK" makes you stronger...
May 05, 2017, 06:53:10 am
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/may/05/strong-language-swearing-makes-you-stronger-psychologists-confirm

It isn’t big and it isn’t clever. But the benefits, known to anyone who has moved home, climbed a mountain, or pushed a broken-down car, have finally been confirmed: according to psychologists, swearing makes you stronger.

The upside of letting profanities fly emerged from a series of experiments with people who repeated either a swear word or a neutral word as they pounded away on an exercise bike, or performed a simple hand-grip test.

When people cursed their way through the half-minute bike challenge, their peak power rose by 24 watts on average, according to the study. In the 10-second grip task, swearers boosted their strength by the equivalent of 2.1kg, researchers found.

Wood FT

• forum hero
And with that the Malham air, turned blue

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
so, perhaps Shark should experiment with bellowing profanities before he lets go of the holds?

(as well as climbing faster, obviously)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I look forward to the reading about the results of implementing the use of such words during Latticetm assessments

36chambers

• forum hero
Sad to see it doesn't mention any benefits with regards to throwing your shoes or punching the mat :(

tomtom

• forum hero
Sad to see it doesn't mention any benefits with regards to throwing your shoes or punching the mat :(

Hard to do that whilst climbing though... ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
so, perhaps Shark should experiment with bellowing profanities before he lets go of the holds?

(as well as climbing faster, obviously)

I think he should name each hold after a profanity and shout it when he grabs it. If you run out of ideas the profanisaurus will provide.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
I look forward to the reading about the results of implementing the use of such words during Latticetm assessments

Can I get a Lattice rung emblazoned with the cuss word of my choice?

andy_e

• forum hero
Fuckfuckshitfuckcuntfuckshit I'VE GOT THE HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORN!!!!!

Duma

• forum hero

dave

Steady on, you don't just wade straight into swearing your way up a project willy nilly. There's a set procedure to follow, such as getting a baseline profanity assessment using an assessment method that is biased to the wrong type of swearing for the route in question. Also cursing advice from the community collective swearmind must be sought and ignored. Only then can you determine the type of expletives to focus on to ensure the siege is played as out slowly and frustratingly as possible.

andy_e

• forum hero
"It's a shit hold but I found emitting a 93 dB smeg helped me stick it"

tomtom

• forum hero
Yup. You need to have a "fuckofflatticewankers"(tm) assessment. Whereby you hang the 14mm laticeboard rung and a digital strain gauge determines what word works best for you.

After all, of you say fuck and cunt all the time - then these will have little impact on your grip strength. And we may have to experiment with 'crikey' and 'blimey' as alternatives. Shouting iTunes might also work too...

£60 please.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

Hah! Amateur!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Incidentally, during a certain period of my life, such profanity was totally forbidden. However, since we were in a stressful, physically dangerous environment, alternatives had to be found. A great favourite was "Bobbins!", which (given the correct inflection) went a long way to conveying the needed power magic.
Gaerloch! was reserved for dire need (which might hint at the activity in question at the time).

Having a devote Quaker CO, sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/paper-cut-sparks-new-swear-words-201109304371

In case you need to get imaginative. Still makes me laugh this one.

andy_e

• forum hero
What's the ratio of power gain from a fupping backstard to a fucking bastard?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Oh my. Good Lord. Oops. Well I never.

36chambers

• forum hero

Alas, although I've certainly seen people utilising the "kicking the mat" method.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

Maybe George Carlin could help, list about 4.40.

Tommy

• junky
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/may/05/strong-language-swearing-makes-you-stronger-psychologists-confirm

The upside of letting profanities fly emerged from a series of experiments with people who repeated either a swear word or a neutral word as they pounded away on an exercise bike, or performed a simple hand-grip test.

When people cursed their way through the half-minute bike challenge, their peak power rose by 24 watts on average, according to the study. In the 10-second grip task, swearers boosted their strength by the equivalent of 2.1kg, researchers found.

Shit, the science must be true. I tried this today on max hangs an immediately did a PB whilst shouting "Fuuuuuuuuuuck" spread out over 5 seconds and hoping my neighbours didn't hear in their garden. In the interests of objectivity I tried it afterwards shouting "Balloon" and it also gave me a PB  ;D

Go figure! Glad to know I don't have to shout fuck all the time now and can settle for something palatable.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Or just make some indecipherable noise Sharma/Ondra style.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal