UKBouldering.com

Video rigs (Read 12217 times)

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#25 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 09:12:22 pm
(yeah IBM, remember them?
I did get IDed last Sunday by some bloke called Ben from down south  :wave:

Remember them, I think we still have a few floating around school in use!
Often loaned to teachers who pi*s off IT technician.
Think it was 99/00 I got PC 1ghz with gig of ram.
Thought I'd bought the earth, first started with Photoshop gig then.
It's only taken nearly 20 years to get round to video!
Anyway loved Conan, not surprised about ID check, you look pretty youthful!

user deactivated

#26 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 10:26:30 pm
You can't go wrong with the Violent Femmes either.... good feeling.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#27 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 11:06:54 pm
You can't go wrong with the Violent Femmes either.... good feeling.
Dan your films are always impressive.
What are you using to make them. Hardware/software.
Know that when you make film it's obviously more than just the tech.
But I bet more pro than dabbler?

user deactivated

#28 Re: Video rigs
April 27, 2017, 11:29:18 pm
Hi jfdm, thanks for the good vibes. I use a Mac book pro and fcpx and / or da Vinci resolve lite (which is free and since black magic updated it runs loads better on lower spec machines). I use some software like colour finale in fcpx but since the recent OS update it's gone to shit. the things most important to me that would struggle in iMovie are setting resolution, retiming clips and colour correction. I'm not really bothered about 4K so haven't run into any problems with cpu / Gpu slowing down etc. It takes a few mins to render a 20 min clip in prores hd.

tomtom

• forum hero
#29 Video rigs
April 28, 2017, 08:34:37 am
For iOS, I've found Cameo (Vimeo's own editing app) alright. I used to use iMovie but it takes up loads of memory/disk space (my phone is near perma full) and Cameo takes up 20%.

It's basic (music, edits, titles) but does the job for a basic climbing vid - and for free Vimeo users it uploads vids direct straight away. None of this 'processing time' etc..

Because of this in he past I've edited on iMovie then uploaded via cameo.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#30 Re: Video rigs
April 28, 2017, 09:21:41 am
while we're on the subject; anyone tried basic editing on an android phone?

which apps? opinions?

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#31 Re: Video rigs
April 28, 2017, 10:20:12 am
the things most important to me that would struggle in iMovie are setting resolution, retiming clips and colour correction.
Dan thanks for your reply, when i watch your films, how are you getting that grainy old feel to your film? (Like the one below, really liked this one).
Maybe playing around with the resolution of the film and colour correction? Plus some kind of filter for the scratchy effect?

Will look into your suggestions about the technical bits and pieces.
Looking at things online and having used iMovie briefly, I can to see the possible limitations already.

Largers - have iphone so cant help you out with this.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:32:45 am by jfdm »

andy_e

• forum hero
#32 Re: Video rigs
April 28, 2017, 10:24:47 am
I'd imagine it's the same technique as this one:

dave

#33 Re: Video rigs
April 28, 2017, 10:42:16 am
Dan thanks for your reply, when i watch your films, how are you getting that grainy old feel to your film? (Like the one below, really liked this one).
Maybe playing around with the resolution of the film and colour correction? Plus some kind of filter for the scratchy effect?

I believe that is film.

user deactivated

#34 Re: Video rigs
April 28, 2017, 01:37:27 pm
the things most important to me that would struggle in iMovie are setting resolution, retiming clips and colour correction.

Will look into your suggestions about the technical bits and pieces.
Looking at things online and having used iMovie briefly, I can to see the possible limitations already.

Largers - have iphone so cant help you out with this.

Yeah, if you buy a cheap old camera on eBay and stick a cartridge in you'll most likely get similar effects like scratchy grainy looking footage depending on which film stock you use. You can actually get some pretty decent cameras cheaply if you're lucky and with modern film and scanning techniques they should give you a quality close to 16mm. I also used some various functions on the camera intentionally badly to over expose or give light traces etc. I recently picked up a couple of new cameras I'm going to experiment with over the next few months - one is the Agfa Movezoom used to shoot this aphex twin vid :

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#35 Re: Video rigs
April 28, 2017, 01:46:10 pm
I also used some various functions on the camera intentionally badly

Yeah, I do that too. :look:

andy_e

• forum hero
#36 Re: Video rigs
April 28, 2017, 02:08:04 pm
Mine flashes up with a warning when it's overexposed.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#37 Re: Video rigs
April 28, 2017, 04:22:42 pm
Yeah, if you buy a cheap old camera on eBay and stick a cartridge in you'll most likely get similar effects like scratchy grainy looking footage depending on which film stock you use. You can actually get some pretty decent cameras cheaply if you're lucky and with modern film and scanning techniques they should give you a quality close to 16mm. I also used some various functions on the camera intentionally badly to over expose or give light traces etc. I recently picked up a couple of new cameras I'm going to experiment with over the next few months - one is the Agfa Movezoom
Amazing, think that the old 16mm cine camera's might be making a come back!
Last summer went on a teachers course at Tate to do with video and we created some work on old 16mm cine with b/w film.
It was time consuming to use, camera had a fixed focus, tape measure was used to get the focus, light meters , dark room for developing the film, but definitely worth it.
Blacks came out really black and lovely scratches/artifacts created during the developing stage.
The guy that ran the workshop also worked with really high def camera, showed some footage pretty amazing, camera was in the 10sof thousands£.

DubDom

• menacing presence
#38 Re: Video rigs
April 28, 2017, 05:31:50 pm

This is another old NLE suite (like Avid and lightworks) that is now available again as a free version.

https://www.media100.com

I haven't used it myself since this release, in fact I had more or less forgotten about it. I mostly work on Premiere and Avid these days (now that FCP 7 is dead). I think FCPX is good value and well specced, plus it has improved considerably since its disastrous launch a few years ago.
I suspect you would have to commit to a bit of a learning curve on lightworks, Avid free and Resolve. Premiere is easy enough, vegas and fcpx are pretty good that way too, I think (not so familiar with Vegas, but is was always highly regarded and had been around for a long time).

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#39 Re: Video rigs
April 28, 2017, 09:31:19 pm
Last summer went on a teachers course at Tate to do with video and we created some work on old 16mm cine with b/w film.
....Blacks came out really black and lovely scratches/artifacts created during the developing stage.

Bring back nitrate film!  Okay, it may have been highly unstable, prone to igniting, and virtually impossible to extinguish (keeps burning under water or without air) but it produced gorgeous results that seem never to have been matched.  Luminous white skin contrasting with lustrous black; the actresses from that period almost glow with an inner pale fire - surely that's worth a few incinerated cinemas!?

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#40 Re: Video ri
April 28, 2017, 10:44:34 pm
....Blacks came out really black and lovely scratches/artifacts created during the developing stage.

Bring back nitrate film!  Okay, it may have been highly unstable, prone to igniting, and virtually impossible to extinguish (keeps burning under water or without air) but it produced gorgeous results that seem never to have been matched.  Luminous white skin contrasting with lustrous black; the actresses from that period almost glow with an inner pale fire - surely that's worth a few incinerated cinemas!?
Maybe back in the day, but not with the film of today.
Kodak frequently asked questions discusses combustion. :coffee:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Support/Technical_Information/Frequently_Asked_Questions/default.htm
I think there is a greater chance of laptop/phone frying under strain than the film going up in smoke. Samsung/Dreamliner batteries frying seem a lot more problematic.
Talking 16mm/35mm film, Kodak stopped making cine, things looked very bleak, price of cine film went through roof. Kodak have revived making it, so price now dropped but still expensive. Only a few places in uk that process film but it is cheaper and pretty straightforward to DIY it. Hardware realitvely inexpensive on eBay.
Film makers on course pleased that cine is still being made, as you point out film characteristics are unique and valued.
Thinking back to summer think we also used and developed 35mm film. Although toasty in London there was no acts of film catching fire.
Have a great weekend everybody and thanks for all your help over the last few days.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:59:05 pm by jfdm »

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#41 Re: Video rigs
April 28, 2017, 11:02:22 pm
Maybe back in the day, but not with the film of today.
Kodak frequently asked questions discusses combustion. :coffee:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Support/Technical_Information/Frequently_Asked_Questions/default.htm
I think there is a greater chance of laptop frying under strain than the film going up in smoke. Samsung/Dreamliner batteries frying seem a lot more problematic.
great weekend everybody and thanks for all your help over the last few days.

That's was my (slightly fatuous) point - I do not disagree that the "film of today" is less risky than a laptop battery.  I just find it a bit rum that the current "state of the art" looks inferior to the old-school, given a century of "progress".

DubDom

• menacing presence

dave

#43 Re: Video rigs
April 29, 2017, 08:55:22 am
Didn't kodak phase out cellulose nitrate based film in like the 1910-1920s?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#44 Re: Video rigs
April 29, 2017, 09:07:53 am
Nitrate was used until around 1950 - Kodak didn't introduce the alternative celluolose acetate until 1948.

DubDom

• menacing presence

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal