UKBouldering.com

BMC No Confidence Motion (split from the Why aren't you a BMC member? thread) (Read 73408 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
I'm gonna launch a bid to become President of the BMC (POTBMC).

Because I want to make BRITISH MOUNTAINS GREAT AGAIN.

To make this happen - I'm gonna build a wall. Not just any old wall, but a massive (did I tell you I'm rich?) wall. Like a terminator uranium wall - and this wall, well its gonna keep out Sports climbers. You know why - you know why? well for years the last presidents have been letting these sports climbers come all over our mountains - they're a there raping and a bolting the hills. Chipping prize bits of our great outdoors - and they're bad guys. I mean these dudes are bad - and they smell (did I tell you my wife is fit?). And when we have this wall -I recon we can build it in 10 days - hell, a week - well then we're gonna round up all those sports climbers and THROW THEM INTO A GIANT CLIMBING WALL. WHERE THEY BELONG. And who's gonna pay for this wall? huh? I tell you, its Decathlon - yeah and they're French too.

And then folks, I'm tellin ya, we'll have our crags and outcrops to ourselves - no more 'send' or 'dab' shit - that's gonna be outlawed by executive order. TRUE.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

jfdm

• obsessive maniac

To make this happen - I'm gonna build a wall. Not just any old wall, but a massive (did I tell you I'm rich?) wall. Like a terminator uranium wall - and this wall, well its gonna keep out Sports climbers. You know why - you know why? well for years the last presidents have been letting these sports climbers come all over our mountains - they're a there raping and a bolting the hills. Chipping prize bits of our great outdoors - and they're bad guys. I mean these dudes are bad - and they smell (did I tell you my wife is fit?). And when we have this wall -I recon we can build it in 10 days - hell, a week - well then we're gonna round up all those sports climbers and THROW THEM INTO A GIANT CLIMBING WALL. WHERE THEY BELONG. And who's gonna pay for this wall? huh? I tell you, its Decathlon - yeah and they're French too.

And then folks, I'm tellin ya, we'll have our crags and outcrops to ourselves - no more 'send' or 'dab' shit - that's gonna be outlawed by executive order. TRUE.
Brill Tomtom, how do I become a member of your nobel crusade?

remus

• forum hero

Your twitter account awaits: https://twitter.com/potbmc
password: makebmcgreatagain

tomtom

• forum hero
We're up and running! I'll set the alarm for 5am to give some NEWS.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
We're up and running! I'll set the alarm for 5am to give some NEWS.

You do know it is unpaid and also customary to be a member  :jab:

tomtom

• forum hero
POTBMC only responds through twitter.

@potbmc

remus

• forum hero

This is the start of something GREAT folks.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Is there a non selfish reason( less people at the crags) reason that increased participation shouldn't be encouraged? Am I missing something? I can't see how it can be a bad thing?
If there are ten routes at a crag, how many people can climb there at once and still have a worthwhile day? Five, ten, twenty, fifty? Different people will give a different number. Nobody will answer 'an infinite number' - that is to say the crag has a carrying capacity. Some crags are often not far off that e.g. Malham and Kilnsey. A large growth in climber numbers will make this more common, this may also lead to increased access problems and degradation of the crag and its environment and wildlife.
Climber numbers are already increasing at a steady pace and the current state of things is pretty fine and manageable. I would say concentrate on working with the current growth rate and maximising opportunity and enjoyment for people in the sport new and old. Climbing will keep growing whatever.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Genuine question: why should we be concerned with growth? Participation in large numbers and pressure on the environment concerns me far more than a dearth of participants.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I tried that argument a while back & was shot down for being elitist & selfish.

The altruists on here argue that we have great experiences climbing, and so we should wish that others also get to have these great experiences. Which is as maybe.

There are also arguments for more climbers being a good thing from a purely selfish perspective. Training facilities & kit are vastly better & more abundant than they were BITD. I've been travelling a fair bit with work lately, and can pretty much count on there a being a bouldering wall that is at least decent in any major town. Compare & contrast the early 90s, when I moved from Manchester to Liverpool because of work, and there was one (crap) climbing wall on the whole of Merseyside that was open one or two evenings a week, and was miles away on the Wirral. That knocked my climbing back significantly. My current shoes are also somewhat better than EBs. These great things wouldn't exist if there weren't enough people to make them viable.

Also more participation = louder voice in access issues etc.

The price of all this is, yes, crowds, polish, erosion & litter at a few easy accessible "honeypot" crags.

dave

Yes walls are better and more abundant now, yes pads are better, yes boots are better, but do you honestly think our experience of climbing overall is that much better than 20 years ago? Was everyone 20 years ago just having a shit time all the time compared to now? Of course they weren't. People probably climbed a bit lower grade on average, but do we genuinely think the 7b climber is having that much less of a good time than a 7c climber?

It's pretty plain to see that an increase in participation, especially if extra numbers are seeping in from indoor walls with no background in responsible use of the outdoors, can only be a problem in the mid to longer term. There's always the argument that with increased participation you'll have more people to lobby on access issues etc. But this is a bit like saying you'd want a massive increase in car owners, because yeah the environment take a battering but hey there'll be more people to eventually switch over to electric cars.

The other thing that worries me going forward is if the BMC is going to go down more of a commercial sponsorship route then if we're talking about sponsors in the outdoors sector, gear manufacturers, walls etc, then those groups are going to benefit massively by increased participation. This then potentially creates a bit of a conflict of interest.

northern yob

• stalker
Fair points bonjoy, but ultimately driven by a selfish want to keep the crags quieter for you and the other people already using them? I realise there are limits on the numbers crags can handle, but does that make it ok to not share the love, and grow the sport.

I think the majority of climbers in the future won't even want to climb outside. The BMC could double its membership this year without a new person even starting to climb, if it could engage with indoor users.

I don't know what the answers are, but I find it hard to think the BMC shouldn't be trying to increase participation and members. Unlike the people behind the motion, I think the BMC has to embrace the direction climbing is going in, and that ultimately means comps and indoor climbing.

northern yob

• stalker

It's pretty plain to see that an increase in participation, especially if extra numbers are seeping in from indoor walls with no background in responsible use of the outdoors, can only be a problem in the mid to longer term. There's always the argument that with increased participation you'll have more people to lobby on access issues etc. But this is a bit like saying you'd want a massive increase in car owners, because yeah the environment take a battering but hey there'll be more people to eventually switch over to electric cars.

It's more like you leaning out of the window of your Range Rover sport telling pedestrians to not bother with cars as they fuck up the environment....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:21:41 am by Bonjoy, Reason: Quote fix. NY - put text between [quote] and [/quote] »

dave

Only if you view not wishing to encourage increased participation as a wholly selfish endeavour. If people stop going to stanage or raven tor overnight it's not going to directly benefit me in much of a tangible way, in fact it'd be to my detriment as I'm less likely to get a spot. In actual fact it's more about preserving what we have for use by future generations, making sure everyone who does climb outside, no matter how they come into climbing, they have access to the crags and that the crags are in a decent state.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Fair points bonjoy, but ultimately driven by a selfish want to keep the crags quieter for you and the other people already using them? I realise there are limits on the numbers crags can handle, but does that make it ok to not share the love, and grow the sport.
I think you are using that word as an easy label to discredit/dismiss the argument. Taken to its extreme it’s a question of some climbers enjoying a crag, or no climbers enjoying one - either because the experience is ruined for all, or the crag is banned. Is it selfish to want crags to be accessible and not trashed, for climbers, other crag users and wildlife, now and into the future? Is it not the acme of selfishness to prioritise climbers now and ignore the risk of crags being trashed, wildlife lost and access denied, thus leaving future generations with a spoiled mess?

I think the majority of climbers in the future won't even want to climb outside.
Undoubtedly so, but at the same time the number of outdoor climbers will still go up, even though they represent a smaller proportion of the total climbers.

The BMC could double its membership this year without a new person even starting to climb, if it could engage with indoor users.
I think we all agree on that. It’s a question of how.

I don't know what the answers are, but I find it hard to think the BMC shouldn't be trying to increase participation and members.
As you’ve just pointed out, the BMC doesn’t need to increase participation in order to increase membership. It needs to convince more existing (indoor) climbers to join.
Doubling climber numbers in order to double membership income is a self-defeating objective anyway if you double the problems in doing so, hence rendering the new money wholly inadequate to the new reality you’ve created.

Unlike the people behind the motion, I think the BMC has to embrace the direction climbing is going in, and that ultimately means comps and indoor climbing.
I’ve no argument with you on that at all.

northern yob

• stalker
Only if you view not wishing to encourage increased participation as a wholly selfish endeavour. If people stop going to stanage or raven tor overnight it's not going to directly benefit me in much of a tangible way, in fact it'd be to my detriment as I'm less likely to get a spot. In actual fact it's more about preserving what we have for use by future generations, making sure everyone who does climb outside, no matter how they come into climbing, they have access to the crags and that the crags are in a decent state.

Fair point, I suppose I don't see preserving what we have, or keeping the crags in a decent state as directly linked to numbers, although at some point that is true, I don't see why we couldn't have increased numbers and have the crags in a decent state. It's about education.

dave

No reason at all, in an ideal world, why we can't have both. BUT I still think increased numbers is going to make almost all other net positive initiatives (access work, sustainability, education) much more difficult.

T_B

• forum hero
I suspect it's inevitable that indoor climbers and comps will end up with a new representative body, separate to the BMC. It will be more commercially focussed, as the sponsorship opportunities associated with this new, mass audience are obvious. Indoor climbing is so far removed from mountaineering, hill walking and the outdoors, it seems artificial to me to pretend we're talking about the same user group. That will leave the BMC to focus on what its members want I.e. Access, without all this agonising over what their responsibility to comps/indoor climbing is. Indoor climbing will be even further removed from what we know as climbing in a few years as walls become a mix of climbing/gym/parkour etc.

I don't necessary agree, I think that as things stand it could well be the case but I think this is something the BMC should try to stop from happening. To paraphrase Northern Yob "Indoor climbing is the future if British climbing" is probably true to an extent. I was in the walls in London a few weeks back and chatting to people. One of the last Sats in January was the busiest day the Castle has had, think between 1,200 and 1,400 people through the door. That same day the other walls also had some of their busiest days. People estimated there were around 10,000 people climbing in Greater London that day. A lot of these people don't have a great interest in going outdoors but I don't think this is because they don't like the idea more that they don't really understand it. The walls themselves seem to do very little promotion of outdoor climbing (and why would they) and the BMC/local climbing clubs have an incredibly low profile at the walls. Is this a problem? I think it is for a couple of reasons: "...London mini bus arriving at plantation on a sat morning..." the (indoor/new) climbers who do find out about outdoor climbing tend to hear about the honeypots, they watch the online vids of Dave cruising the Joker and think "I'll have some of that", they don't necessary have the skills to go and do routes at Stoney/Almscliff/Cromlech let alone Gogarth, Scaffell, Pembroke... so these convenient, well documented and safe/bouldering venues get busier. At the same time there are probably fewer and fewer people learning to climb outside - as a kid I started climbing outside (my parents were climbers + pre the rise of indoor walls) but for kids/new climbers now the indoor walls will be a massive draw. More climbers climbing indoors, more climbers bouldering at Plantation etc, fewer climbers with trad skills and appreciation of getting shit scared, trad crags getting overgrown, routes dirty, more people going on bouldering trips to SA, fewer people going chossaneering on the Lleyn, Malham full to bursting point, insitue draws left all over the place, access issues due to overcrowding/insitue gear/litter/lamping sessions at all the popular crags from people who maybe lack the education on outdoor climbing. I would love to see more people at the more obscure trad crags (invested interest: I work for a gear manufacturer), love to hear about Aidean Roberts (insert next "the future" name here) onsighting all Caffs routes and declaring them piss, would love to hear about even more members of the BMC declaring access to crags being the most important thing. The future Houlding (and whoever the other 3 were) is undoubtedly in a climbing wall somewhere but if we're not carefull that's where they might stay. The BMC should engage with the wall culture, support comps but also promote the diversity of climbing, provide inspiration about trad, bouldering, winter climbing, sport... and most importantly provide a route for the young indoor climbers, who want to, to get climbing outside. What Caff is doing is great but it's only a tiny amount and he'll be working less next year.

Sure some crags are busy but a) encourage people to the crags which aren't and b) if you don't like lots of people there are plenty of crags you can go to which need more traffic.

Sorry, maybe had too strong a coffee

Great post Ben. I always cite the BMC youth trip to Font that I was a 'mentor' on 15 (?) years ago. Kids from the comp scene at the time. I think it was one of the first times that Leah C had climbed outside. Hazel F and her were kids, going for it. Tom '9a' Bolger and Jacob 'El Cap' Cook as well. Look at em now!

I was at the Works y'day afternoon and there was a kids GB Climbing team training 'thing' going on. All v professional with them playing jenga and throwing medicine balls at the floor (learning about aggression and how it can sometimes help in moves I think I overheard coach Tom saying?) 

Maybe you and Caff need to organise a Llyen youth meet  :)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks

"The BMC could double its membership this year without a new person even starting to climb, if it could engage with indoor users."

It could double it's membership if it could engage with outdoor climbers. The SE survey says over 100,000 climb outdoors yet there are only 50 odd thousand members*

* I am only counting Individual members

danm

• junky

"The BMC could double its membership this year without a new person even starting to climb, if it could engage with indoor users."

It could double it's membership if it could engage with outdoor climbers. The SE survey says over 100,000 climb outdoors yet there are only 50 odd thousand members*

* I am only counting Individual members

Hang on. Total membership is about 80K. Would you say 80% market share is impressive, or not?  :P

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
As you well know though Dan the 80k figure includes duplicates eg members of multiple clubs and club/individual dual memberships  :smartass:

danm

• junky
As you well know though Dan the 80k figure includes duplicates eg members of multiple clubs and club/individual dual memberships  :smartass:

Sorry, wrong Graeme (a bit like supporting Sunderland).

The headline figure is 82k or thereabouts, and that is separate people on the database without counting those with multiple memberships or club plus individual upgrade more than once. Give me free life membership of the works and I promise to stop showing you up. Deal?

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
Well that has changed. The headline figure certainly used to include duplicates

Paul B

• forum hero
b) if you don't like lots of people there are plenty of crags you can go to which need more traffic.

I still think this is a rubbish argument to ask people to support (perhaps that's selfish). You (and others) are saying pro-participation might make the venues you (/I) love less usable and that there are plenty of other less-loved areas we could go to instead. What this argument misses is that there aren't many unloved areas, 35 minutes from where I live, accessible after work with plenty of 3 star routes that I've had a love affair with since my mid-teens (Teaboy pointed this out much earlier in the thread in response to JB; it went unanswered). This is one of the parts of climbing I love and yes (to be clear), I'd prefer others to miss out if it's a them or me type situation. I'm certainly not selfless enough to want to fund someone else being introduced to the joys of such an area at my detriment.  :worms:

I have to say that having seen the behaviors of climbers at one of these so-called honeypot areas last year, and the BMC response I'm not wholly convinced that a lot more effort isn't required in the way these issues are managed if they are to become increasingly common. There was the distinct feeling (to me at least) that it 'was handled' and that was that. Personally I think the weather gods probably helped a lot by drying out some alternate venues and as Dave mentioned a few pages ago, I worry that the BMC could easily sleepwalk into much bigger access issues with wholly good intentions.

Interestingly to me at least, it seems like a large number of people in the Yorkshire sport-climbing 'scene' (whatever that word means) anecdotally, don't seem to be BMC members.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal