UKBouldering.com

Farmers walk pump out (Read 6501 times)

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
Farmers walk pump out
March 08, 2017, 11:11:38 am
Hi all,
So I tried my first farmers walk at the end of a session yesterday. Nothing too heavy, just had 50 kg (2 x 25 kg dumbbells).
The first thing that went was my forearms pumping out after ~45s is this normal? If so why does this happen holding dumbbells but not when hanging a bar or something similar?
I would have though my forearms more than strong enough to hold 25 kg for ages but this wasn't the case.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 08, 2017, 12:26:32 pm
Get in!
I don't know for how long you can hang from a bar, but I think that with the farmer's walk there are two main factors: first of all we tend to use a closer grip, then there's the moving. We need to compensate for the instability by overgripping.
That's why I bought straps. Forearms give up first.
Oh and the previous climbing surely must have tired your forearms.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 08, 2017, 12:48:03 pm
Ah ok thanks, I weigh 75 kg and would easily be able to hang a bar for minutes I'd think. The overgripping and closed grip makes sense though. Looks like I'll have to buy straps or just get stronger.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 08, 2017, 01:18:15 pm
Getting stronger in that particular prehension will help, but with farmer's walk it's mainly a problem of occlusion. Tight forearms that squeeze the blood vessels blocking circulation.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 08, 2017, 03:06:32 pm
hmm I'll have to consider whether to strap up for maximum full body vs. no strap for some extra forearm burn then. Do you always use straps now when you do yours?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 08, 2017, 03:40:24 pm
I still haven't received the straps. The idea is to start using them depending on what I've done before and I'm going to do the following day.
As I said, I've bought them to give my forearms a break, so I'm definitely going to use them if I plan to climb the next day or even two days later. Otherwise probably not.
But it also depends on what you want out of your farmer's. For proper full body training I'd use straps. I usually do two kinds of walk depending on aim, psyche, etc.
One session is more aimed at burning fat and increasing metabolism. I do 5 reps of 1' walk with 1' rests in between. I use 68 kg and it's very very hard. Forearms give up and it's quite painful on the fingers. The bar presses them very hard at mid joint.
One other session is aimed at strength, and I do sets of 30" with 108 kg, good rests until failure.

Given that I often overuse my forearms, I think I'll use the straps from now on, except for snatches and cleans, maybe.

TMR

• regular
  • MORE.....MORE POWER
#6 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 09, 2017, 10:55:11 am
I'd recommend sticking with it for a while Dex. I started doing farmer's about 6 months ago. To begin with grip was the thing that let me down, but as nibs mentioned I found that my forearms adapted to the more closed grip quickly! My posture tends to go first now, with my shoulders and upper back starting to slump. If you can seek out some specific farmers walk bars you can increase the load massively. The handles have a smaller circumference than a regular barbell and they are elevated making it easier to get the weight off the floor and moving!

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 09, 2017, 11:10:50 am
Thanks, I'm definitely going to stick with it and do more as it feels like a good full body workout. Currently I'm using two dumbbells as that's the easiest thing I have available (I'm doing them at the climbing wall). If things get serious I might look into getting something at home but for now this works pretty well

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 09, 2017, 11:25:56 am
If only you had a Trap Bar...
 :P :P :P :P

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 09, 2017, 12:02:25 pm
If only you had a Trap Bar...
 :P :P :P :P

if only  :strongbench: :strongbench:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#10 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 09, 2017, 12:22:05 pm
So, I don't do this exercise, or didn't until reading this. What's a reasonable weight here? I'm at work, so I just picked up two 25kg, sand filled, Jerry cans; set a timer, walked around for two minutes and immediately sat down and typed this.
Aka, not pumped.

What taxes you Nibs? What am I aiming for, max time or max weight. (Ihave my own ideas, just want to know the general opinion).

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#11 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 09, 2017, 12:58:15 pm
From what I've read it should be a weight that you're struggling to make 45-60 seconds with.  I was doing it with 40kg per hand (dumbells) and 45 secs was fine.

TMR

• regular
  • MORE.....MORE POWER
#12 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 09, 2017, 02:00:48 pm
I do 5 times 30 meters with 2 mins rest in between. Bodyweight in each hand so 140kg total.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#13 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 09, 2017, 02:25:46 pm
When doing 1/1 x 5 it's mostly the short rest that does the damage. But it's crucial for fat burning and metabolic conditioning.
When going max effort it's the pain of the handles on the first phalanx and joint.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#14 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 09, 2017, 02:38:29 pm
I must admit though that the issue is that all the training that I do - except hill sprints - is really taxing on the forearms, and I rarely feel them fresh and relaxed.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 10, 2017, 11:12:00 am
Did my second day of these yesterday with 55 kg (22.75 per hand) and was managing 1 min on 2 min rest for 5 sets but felt dead afterwards. Forearms still the main limitation but definitely started to feel it more in the back and shoulders too this time

nik at work

• forum hero
#16 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 10, 2017, 12:53:54 pm
I do 5 times 30 meters with 2 mins rest in between. Bodyweight in each hand so 140kg total.
:o :o :o
So this is essentially a 2x bodyweight deadlift and a stroll? Beast-tastic surely??

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#17 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 10, 2017, 02:43:51 pm
:o :o :o
So this is essentially a 2x bodyweight deadlift and a stroll? Beast-tastic surely??

:O is right.

I don't actually have enough weight in the gym to even try this.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#18 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 10, 2017, 11:25:14 pm
So...
I've tried the straps this evening. Some of the best spent money ever. I went from 20" with 100 kg to 1' with 108 kg. Four reps. As much as my core could bear, for the moment.
And I had done 7 x 4 deadlifts without, before.
Can't wait to get more weights.
An excellent eddition to the bag of toys.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#19 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 12, 2017, 12:30:02 pm
I think I'll remember this session for a while.
In prevision of a tough recovery, for dinner I ate like a bastard. Carbs, proteins, the full monty.
I woke up yesterday morning feeling quite fresh. Had breakfast and then a protein shake and BCAA. Then went for a motorcycle ride. Stopped for lunch, and the DOMS started kicking in. Had a double cheesburger with fries. Got home and the DOMS had become even worse. Had a snack and some more BCAA. At 7 had a protein shake. Then I went out for a four-course dinner. Woke up in the middle of the night feeling fucking hungry.
Still stiff this morning.
Fantastic.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#20 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 12, 2017, 01:13:52 pm
No DOMS after yesterday morning's 100 kg DLs - must be getting used to them.Might do some more this afternoon - back onshore tomorrow so it'll be back to climbing and mountainbiking for a while.

Where are your doms? That's quite some feasting...

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#21 Re: Farmers walk pump out
March 12, 2017, 02:25:01 pm
No DOMS after yesterday morning's 100 kg DLs - must be getting used to them.
Where are your doms? That's quite some feasting...
I think that DOMS depends a lot on volume. I blame especially the farmer's walk for them.
They were mostly traps, upper back and hamstrings. Glutes a bit as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal