UKBouldering.com

Wrist pain when in push-up position (Read 5331 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Wrist pain when in push-up position
February 10, 2017, 09:51:50 am
I’ve been getting pain in my wrists in certain positions for a number of years and thought I should try to understand what it actually is. I’ll probably end up getting some kind of physio appointment (or ask my current physio later for a quick opinion) but I thought it might be something that a member of this parish might have experience of.

The pain comes when my hand is pushed back, for example doing push ups with hands flat on the floor. The pain is in the top of the wrist in the right angle created whilst in the push-up position. It’s been more noticeable recently as I’ve been doing more in that position (push ups and yoga) and comes on quite quickly (after 5-10 push ups).

The pain is quite sharp and means I have to stop. It also arises when doing things such as pushing my Aero-press down, so it doesn’t require huge forces to set it off.

Any thoughts on what could be causing it? It happens on both wrists so I imagine it’s to do with either the make-up of my wrist or something to do with my form.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Wrist pain when in push-up position
February 10, 2017, 10:23:02 am
I get this. I've not done anything about it yet as it's only things like push-ups that cause the pain and I get around that by doing push-ups on clenched fists rather than flattened palms. I'm not sure if it's some sort of TFCC damage in my case I sometimes get a 'clunk' in my wrist on slopers.

On a form point, when this was bothering me I did find something discussing wrist pain in yoga suggesting that you should try to support yourself more on area of the palm where it meets the fingers and less on the base of the palm where it meets the wrist.

filz

• addict
#2 Re: Wrist pain when in push-up position
February 10, 2017, 11:11:55 am
I had it too. In my case I think the problem is the reduced range of motion combined with abuse due to too much hand stands, rings and other stuff.

I try to avoid the positions that cause me pain: when doing push ups I use push up handles, in handstand I turn the wrists a little outwards, in yoga I sometimes used a closed fist instead of the open hand.
I also started doing stretching.

After a while the pain reduced a lot and at the moment everything seems fine, though I continue avoiding the positions that were giving me problems.

Hope this helps

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Wrist pain when in push-up position
February 10, 2017, 12:47:19 pm
I get it, I do pushups holding hexagonal dumbells. You can buy special pushup handles.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#4 Re: Wrist pain when in push-up position
February 10, 2017, 01:46:14 pm
Ive had this on pushups. Use rings, dumbells or (at a pinch) fists.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#5 Re: Wrist pain when in push-up position
February 10, 2017, 02:11:52 pm
Reassuring that it's not just me, I guess. Thanks for the replies and I'll pick some of the hand bar things up soon. I thought this would be the case but thought it was worth checking anyway.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Wrist pain when in push-up position
February 10, 2017, 02:41:58 pm
I had this for a while, used the push-up thingies for a bit, which did help. Pain went away after a few months and has never come back. You can have my push-up thingies for postage + optional bolt fund donation.

catbreath

#7 Re: Wrist pain when in push-up position
February 22, 2017, 11:23:15 am
I had really similar issues with painful pushups etc and my wrists popping clunking and generally being uncomfortable on slopers most of last year. Had a scan done at xmas cos I was worried it was TFCC related but turned out there was no damage at all, just a ganglion cyst nestling right in the wrist joint on the pinky side. Doc said clicking and popping was due to fluid in the wrist because of the irritation of the cyst. Might not be your issue but its a hell of a lot better than TFCC problems!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal