UKBouldering.com

DAV protesting against crag closure for wildlife protection in Austria (Read 1836 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Not sure what to think about this so I'm hoping ukb will tell me.

A major ice climbing area in Maltatal in Austria has had access banned because of wildlife protection, and the DAV (i.e. me, as one half a millionth of it) doesn't like it. Article here in German - google translate might be of some help.

On the one hand, I hope we can mostly agree that genuine wildlife protection is more important than us having our fun. One doesn't hear much about people protesting against bird bans on cliffs in the nesting season, either in the UK or over here.

But the DAV is generally sensible about such things, so if they're protesting this case they presumably think something about it is different. It's being presented as a hunters vs climbers & ramblers story. And we have plenty of experience in the UK with glorious Mass Trespasses and the like against hunting interests selfishly trying to keep large tracts of land to themselves.

On the other hand however, hunting interests in Germany and Austria - unlike in the UK - tend not to be wealthy absentee landlords but local guys with a genuine interest in nature conservation on their turf.

This argument has more aspects to it than I have hands available: on the other other hand, local government in rural areas dominated by a cabal of good ole boys hostile to outsiders is not something to be encouraged, whether or not said good ole boys are rich.

:shrug:

HaeMeS

• menacing presence
As the article on Kletterszene mentions, it's not about wildlife, it's about hunting. The Alpenverein mentioned is the Austrian Alpenverein (former OAV, 521.000 members) not the German DAV with over 1 miliion members. Parts of Austria have  oldfashioned views/laws when it comes to access and 'modern' outdoor sports. You're probably aware of the issues concerning biking on Forst property and on large church or privately owned estates.

The issue in Maltatal is simple. The hunting lobby wants to keep the rifraf out. Hunters are a highly influential group and by playing the environmental card will try to justify their actions and fool the public. Alpenverein is defending the right of access. Dont forget Alpenverein (as well as DAV) are environmental organisations with protecting the environment as key task.

As for Maltatal: it's an important venue. One of the first places where iceclimbing took of in the eighties.

Summs it up nicely: „Wir unterstützen Ruhezonen, wenn sie wildökologisch sinnvoll sind, das ist auch unser Auftrag als Naturschutzorganisation. Voraussetzung ist aber, dass die betroffenen Interessensgruppen mit einbezogen und die Entscheidungen objektiv getroffen werden. Wir werden es nicht zulassen, dass das Gesetz dazu missbraucht wird, Sperren ‚auf Wunsch‘ durchzusetzen“.

"... und vom Wild aufgrund der exponierten Lage ohnehin gemieden wird.“

:slap:

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Thanks. I assumed it was the DAV.

I read Messner's autobiography (ok, Südtirol) and a few other Tiroler memoirs, and was very surprised at how feudal things still were up in the remote valleys well into the mid 20th century.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal