UKBouldering.com

Stand Up desk (Read 6348 times)

T_B

• forum hero
Stand Up desk
February 09, 2017, 03:16:05 pm
Anyone recommend a particular brand/model and where I can order one from?

I'm not interested in something that sits on your desk - I want the entire thing to move up and down.

I could spend ages trawling around ont internet, but thought there might be a Skoda Octavia of stand up desks easily available in the UK for me to order?

Thanks!

erm, sam

• forum hero
#1 Re: Stand Up desk
February 09, 2017, 03:21:33 pm
I'm planning to get Ikea ones for the office once we get the sign off. Haven't acutally used them though.

danm

• junky
#2 Re: Stand Up desk
February 09, 2017, 03:22:17 pm
I'll try and find out what we use at work for you - mine is a sit/stand one which I really like, as I like to alternate. Has a little hand crank which folds in after use.

dave

#3 Re: Stand Up desk
February 09, 2017, 03:27:50 pm
We've got a basic Ikea desk at home, the kind where you buy the basic tabletop and then pick whatever legs you want with it to screw into it. Used to have standard legs but when we moved house I bought the adjustable height legs that can crank up tall enough to use as a standing desk.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#4 Re: Stand Up desk
February 09, 2017, 03:47:48 pm
If you want a really low-tech / cost solution...in the absence of a home office at the crib I tend to work from home standing with my laptop on the kitchen counter top.

In the interests of posture I've recently started piling up a few cookbooks to get the height correct. Infinitely adjustable, and zero fuckalls.

T_B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Stand Up desk
February 09, 2017, 03:54:14 pm
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not after low cost/tech. This is my work desk that I sit/stand at, so am looking for something that you can very slickly and easily slide up and down to either sit or stand.

Will check out IKEA.

dave

#6 Re: Stand Up desk
February 09, 2017, 04:56:17 pm
The ikea legs I was on about you really can't adjust on the fly. For something you can jack up and down at will, while desk in use, you can get em from office suppliers etc just be ready to put your hand in your pocket. Cost a fair few doubloons.

T_B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Stand Up desk
February 09, 2017, 05:09:28 pm
Ikea do do an electric version for £465, but the reviews aint great.

These look decent for the taller user https://sit-stand.com/electric-desks/95-desk-pro2x.html

erm, sam

• forum hero
#8 Re: Stand Up desk
February 09, 2017, 05:38:46 pm
Actually, we have one of those sit-stand desk above in the office for testing and it is good. Maybe I should actually test an Ikea one before buying 7..

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#9 Re: Stand Up desk
February 09, 2017, 05:53:56 pm

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#10 Re: Stand Up desk
February 09, 2017, 06:03:10 pm
Appreciate it's not what you're after Tom but I have a Varidesk station in work. Sits on top of my desk and I'm sure they do full desks too. The quality is excellent and seapping between standing/sitting/walking about greatly alleviates my back issues.

cofe

• forum hero
#11 Re: Stand Up desk
February 09, 2017, 06:10:57 pm

Ikea do do an electric version for £465, but the reviews aint great

Mate (6ft+) has used one for a year or two, rates it. I researched them last year, but never got one. Have a list of options on work computer, will dig them out tmw.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#12 Re: Stand Up desk
February 17, 2017, 10:17:08 am
Had these at work since last april ish (full office refit) http://mobili.co.uk/product/move/; came in at around £700 with the full set up, partition and control box/electrical supply switch. Super slick in operation; touch of a button (long press) either way makes it go up and down. I stand all day most days now.

metalens

#13 Re: Stand Up desk
May 09, 2017, 10:05:56 am
I'm a bit late to the thread, but I have had one of these https://www.electricstandingdesks.co.uk/products/sit-stand-pro-height-adjustable-standing-desk for about a month now and couldn't recommend it enough - super high quality. It is a similar price to that mentioned by Iesu, but seems to be more targeted towards home offices, so I guess it depends where you work.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#14 Re: Stand Up desk
May 09, 2017, 10:52:15 am
oh yeah, I ment to update on this.

My office has been using the Ikea stand up desks for a few months now and everybody is happy with them.
My monitors are mounted on arms that suspend them in the air and they do quiver a bit as I type. I don't mind it but I don't spend lots of time typing, I could imagine it might be a bit annoying if you did, but perhaps not. I have a laptop on an arm thing as well and this quivers a lot more than the actual screen, so if you had a normal computer screen set up, or a monitor standing on your desk I don't think it would be an issue..

Paul B

• forum hero
#15 Re: Stand Up desk
December 02, 2018, 10:12:41 pm
Which model was it you went for erm, sam? The manual ones seems particularly shaky!

I had the pleasure of an Ikea trip yesterday, the main focus being on buying Christmas decorations (heaven only knows why we thought hosting both sets of parents was a good idea). However, I handed my notice in at my current place (YYFY) and the company which I'm starting for in Jan seem a bit (/lot) more forward thinking with things like flexible working and working from home (YYFY) so I think a home office might be on the way (Nat also works 2-3 days from home so it makes sense).

These:
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/office-desks/id%C3%A5sen-desk-sit-stand-black-dark-grey-spr-89280993/

seemed a lot more sturdy than these (height control seemed to be manual or via Bluetooth which seemed a bit much):

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/office-desks/bekant-desk-sit-stand-oak-veneer-white-spr-09061188/

but after watching a few videos I was considering buying the legs online elsewhere (one with a few memory settings for his/her/turbo trainer heights).

T_B - if you've set yours up how are you finding it?

(unfortunately this may cost be the board room)

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Stand Up desk
December 03, 2018, 08:07:51 am
Some standing desk stuff....

When I sit at a desk - I'm quite happy having the monitor at desk level (perfectly happy with a laptop for example.

When standing - I like to have the monitor relatively higher - so like it perched up right on the top of its extension - and on some blocks etc..

T_B

• forum hero
#17 Re: Stand Up desk
December 03, 2018, 11:43:18 am

T_B - if you've set yours up how are you finding it?

(unfortunately this may cost be the board room)

I've had the Bekant one for 15 months. Love it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#18 Re: Stand Up desk
December 03, 2018, 02:01:52 pm
Cheers for the speedy reply. I'm going to wait until after this Winter before I get it all set up (in case they aren't quite as flexible as they make out etc.)...

alx

• regular
  • Monstrosity
#19 Re: Stand Up desk
December 03, 2018, 05:06:52 pm
Hi Tom

Serial lurker here... I stand for working 8 hours a day at my office in Sheffield Uni. Get an anti-fatigue mat to stand on, it ensures you are not hammering the same set of stabilising muscles all the time.
Also get a football and a big A4 paper box to put your foot on, these are lo-fi, low alternatives to standing desk fidget bar.

I have some spec’s which I will pass on to Rachel when we meet at the gym tonight for training.

BW
Alex

erm, sam

• forum hero
#20 Re: Stand Up desk
December 03, 2018, 08:04:55 pm
I got the Bekant L shaped ones from Ikea, I think you can only get the electric ones now. We have bought 12 or so for the office so far and everybody is happy. One thing is a couple of power packs have died but when we rang Ikea they had the desk company send us out a few, so obviously a known problem..
We use a posable arm thing to hold the lap top and monitor off the desk so it easy to adjust the height.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal