UKBouldering.com

IFSC 2017 (Read 93258 times)

haydn jones

• forum hero
#75 Re: IFSC 2017
April 06, 2017, 09:24:44 pm
People have been talking a lot about the EU when what really matters is the IFSC. We need to take back control and make British comp climbing great again.
Every year we send the IFSC £250,000
Ifsc what a bunch of  :wank:
#makebritaingreatagain #wewantoursportback

:popcorn:

Danny

• junky
#76 Re: IFSC 2017
April 06, 2017, 10:39:33 pm
Idiots. I really like watching the bouldering, but I won't be paying that. I might've paid a couple of quid per comp, tops, on a PPV basis, IF the stream quality was good. Killing the 4+ is also nonsense. It's not like other sports don't have time issues—and some of them are massive in comparison to climbing. What about 5 set epics in tennis? What about KOs after 1 round in boxing? Fuck right off.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#77 Re: IFSC 2017
April 06, 2017, 11:20:06 pm
So who even are the IFSC anyway? Sounds like another one of these shadowy evil secrect societies to me, like the Masons or FIFA.

Duma

• forum hero

Duma

• forum hero

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#81 Re: IFSC 2017
April 07, 2017, 10:07:41 am
I reckon FloClimbing, just got the agreement signed with IFSC, then charged what they (for all i know it might even be one person) thought they could get away with.

Durbs

• forum hero
#82 Re: IFSC 2017
April 07, 2017, 10:15:16 am
Possibly, though from some Googling, their BJJ and running prices are around the same.

Be interesting if it comes down to haggling... I'm trying to think what I would pay... especially for an unknown quantity. Will watch the free stream and see what's what.
I think they'll struggle though - the global nature of the IFSC means a price point will have to be acceptable for all countries allowing for exchange rates and general cost of living.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#83 Re: IFSC 2017
April 07, 2017, 10:18:15 am
As I said before, would begrudgingly pay a pound or two, but on principle probably not. Thing is quality live streaming of sport takes a lot of effort, you should ideally have at least a couple of cameramen and then someone directing to switch feeds as an when the action happens.

standard

• obsessive maniac

Duma

• forum hero
#85 Re: IFSC 2017
April 07, 2017, 10:46:38 am
I'd very def only pay on a PPV basis, and then not much tbh.

standard

• obsessive maniac

Durbs

• forum hero

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#88 Re: IFSC 2017
April 07, 2017, 12:36:20 pm
Is it the top 40 men and women through to semis? If so, we've got Billy Ridal and Nathan Phillips potentially through :)

Just read it's 20 so no-one currently through :(

Duma

• forum hero
#89 Re: IFSC 2017
April 07, 2017, 01:43:29 pm
http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/world-competition#!comp=6158&cat=6

Don't think they're quite finished yet, but some big names out if it stays like this,

csl

• junky
#90 Re: IFSC 2017
April 07, 2017, 05:24:13 pm

maybe_si

• player
#91 Re: IFSC 2017
April 07, 2017, 06:49:08 pm
For all the SBC haters out there... she just beat Akiyo... holy crap!

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#92 Re: IFSC 2017
April 07, 2017, 06:52:41 pm
U Turn?

http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/news/item/910-meiringen-world-cup-free-of-charge

Sounds like a free trial being discussed. naaaaaaaaaa

As I understand it you need to enter your card details and the unsubscribing process is somewhat awkward. Seems like some dark patterns kind of behaviour from FloClimbing and something that the IFSC should not be condoning. Not at all a U-turn nor even a step in the right direction as far as I can tell.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#93 Re: IFSC 2017
April 07, 2017, 08:10:57 pm
For all the SBC haters out there... she just beat Akiyo... holy crap!
I had a little grin to myself, when she made semis.
A spoilt rich girl, for sure, but she must be putting the hours in on the training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug

• regular
#94 Re: IFSC 2017
April 07, 2017, 09:09:25 pm
Latest from IFSC:

"IFSC Bouldering World Cup Meiringen will be live streamed on the IFSC YouTube channel and on the IFSC homepage.

FloSports will give a full refund to those who have already subscribed.

Tune-in April 8 at 11:00 for Semi-Finals and 18:30 for Finals (GMT+2), and enjoy the first IFSC World Cup of the 2017 season!"

http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/news/item/911-meiringen-live-streaming-on-ifsc-youtube-channel

No word if this is just for Meiringen or the whole season, but looks like I'll be sat in front of my TV tomorrow afternoon.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#95 Re: IFSC 2017
April 07, 2017, 09:25:46 pm
Good news!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

andy popp

• forum hero
#96 Re: IFSC 2017
April 09, 2017, 03:17:00 pm
So Shauna obviously crushed it. Watching snippets of the final I thought she looked in a different class.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#97 Re: IFSC 2017
April 09, 2017, 04:49:26 pm
U Turn?

http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/news/item/910-meiringen-world-cup-free-of-charge

Sounds like a free trial being discussed. naaaaaaaaaa

As I understand it you need to enter your card details and the unsubscribing process is somewhat awkward. Seems like some dark patterns kind of behaviour from FloClimbing and something that the IFSC should not be condoning. Not at all a U-turn nor even a step in the right direction as far as I can tell.

Looks like I was wrong about this - hosting the stream on YouTube was a good step in the right direction again!

alx

• regular
  • Monstrosity
#98 Re: IFSC 2017
April 09, 2017, 08:44:10 pm
Seems Flo are biding their time. The petition organiser seems to think that it's over and Flo are here to stay.

https://www.change.org/p/cancel-the-ifsc-live-streaming-subscription-fees/u/19965728

Any corporate law types around? Thought that an organisation that took a single bid/didn't go to tender over a certain value (50K?) was at risk of an anti-competition law suite from competitors.

Even so, not getting a couple of other proposals to confirm your getting the best deal is a bit dumb.

tomtom

• forum hero
#99 Re: IFSC 2017
April 09, 2017, 08:51:36 pm
Text of abovenlink here.

9 APR 2017 — Over the last few days, there have been several developments regarding the IFSC & FloSports live-streaming deal. It was wonderful to watch this weekend's competition free on YouTube, but the future of live-streaming for the sport still hangs in the balance. We've been asking ourselves, if this deal is so obviously bad, why did IFSC announce it in the first place?

We've spoken with IFSC directly to try and find answers. Here is what we've learned so far about their decision-making process regarding live-streaming:

• IFSC have refused to provide us with evidence that they engaged in professional consultation with a third-party regarding live-streaming solutions, prior to (or during) negotiations with FloSports.
• No evidence of consultation with the community, athletes or IFSC partners.
• We were told that negotiations with FloSports took a year, and that they will have a single-day meeting with FloSports during the week to revise the deal.
• According to IFSC, future live-streams and full replay access will still require a FloSports subscription. We were told that select highlights will be available for free on YouTube after each event.
• No tender process. FloSports was awarded the contract because they were first to approach IFSC and are more reliable than YouTube according to IFSC.
• According to a not-for-profit marketplace watchdog, Better Business Bureau, FloSports has 96% negative reviews. Users have reported poor stream quality, dropped coverage, incorrect billing and poor customer service – https://www.bbb.org/central-texas/business-reviews/internet-services/flosports-inc-in-austin-tx-1000108975
• IFSC insist that YouTube officials said YouTube was not suitable for long live-streams. IFSC refused to send us their email correspondence with YouTube in which these claims were allegedly made.
• We were told that sponsors see little value in a YouTube live-stream and pushed instead for a monetised television network deal. We were not provided details on who those sponsors are.
• IFSC told us that most issues relating to stream stability at past events were caused by YouTube and not due to internet connection issues, encoding issues or on-site hardware issues.
• Despite telling us that a lack of sponsor funding and monetisation is the catalyst for change, IFSC refused to provide specific costing details, records of how money has been spent on live-streaming in the past or future cost projections.
• IFSC did not specify the status of the deal. We have not been told what agreements have been signed between IFSC and FloSports.

On the IFSC homepage, Marco Maria Scolaris (IFSC President) promotes "good governance", "transparency" and "athletes [sic] inclusion in the IF decision-making processes at all levels". Marco Maria Scolaris' job as IFSC President is to govern in a way that reflects those values, not to do the opposite. In this sense, we believe he has failed as IFSC President. With climbing en route to the Olympics, we feel the federation needs a stronger, more qualified leadership team than ever – and one that practices the values it preaches.

Marco Maria Scolaris, if you are listening, come out of the dark and give the international community the honest, transparent response they deserve.

Peter Crane.

For a highly in-depth breakdown of everything so far, make sure you read this article by Liam Lonsdale – http://www.liamlonsdale.com/journal/ifsc-flosportpt-ii

Cover photo by Liam Lonsdale – [emoji767] L LONSDALE 2017

An important note: We all need to keep in mind that IFSC were not obligated to provide us with any evidence or information. What you read above has derived from extensive conversations with IFSC and our own research. We will continue to stand up on behalf of the international climbing community by questioning and openly investigating the decisions made by the federation.
TweetEmail

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal