UKBouldering.com

cold or too cold? (Read 9905 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#25 Re: cold or too cold?
January 20, 2017, 10:32:14 am
Big Ron has Raynauds. He can't climb outside in the winter any more.

andy_e

• forum hero
#26 Re: cold or too cold?
January 20, 2017, 10:34:49 am
Baselayer trous under your normal strides is also a gamechanger if you don't already. I can't really understand folk who don't.

Seriously? People actually head out in winter without Jonathan Longs?

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#27 Re: cold or too cold?
January 20, 2017, 10:48:40 am
My partner suffers also from Raynauds. She has improved a lot recently we think (guess) this is a combination of careful management (all things mentioned above) and doing a lot of Aerocap - which helped improve blood flow. It's still quite limiting. I feel for sufferers, it's bloody difficult.

If it's really cold I'll take a pair of Ski trousers (salopettes) out to put on between climbs. We also got some down slippers that are really good for slipping on between goes. I'm a big advocate of wearing two hats - which is better than one for obvious reasons . Leggings under trousers as Dave said is a game changer - but there are different levels of leggings I've got some lycra and fleece lined ones that are significantly warmer than the thinner ones I have. The trousers can make a big difference too, I find cotton climbing trousers aren't as warm as your classic double layer adidas trackies. Basically I think you've got to try everything and be serious about it, if you are psyched enough you'll find a way.

We were in font in the van over new year when it never really got above -4 in frozen fog for the week we were there. Good conditions but projecting hard stuff was difficult as we couldn't stay warm between attempts. We did a lot of walking about and circuits to get warm.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#28 Re: cold or too cold?
January 20, 2017, 10:52:15 am
Baselayer trous under your normal strides is also a gamechanger if you don't already. I can't really understand folk who don't.

I wear them winter climbing sometimes but for bouldering find them a bit restrictive. As long as I can keep active and my core is insulated my legs are fine without.

36chambers

• forum hero
#29 Re: cold or too cold?
January 20, 2017, 11:12:36 am

I wear them winter climbing sometimes but for bouldering find them a bit restrictive. As long as I can keep active and my core is insulated my legs are fine without.

The best thing about wearing them is that when you are warmed up you can strip down into them and you instantly climb (and look) much better. In general, this winter hasn't been cold enough to warrant wearing mine, but I'll still have a pair in my bag regardless.

wMickey

• regular
#30 Re: cold or too cold?
January 20, 2017, 11:15:24 am
The latest Grub boot neoprene wellies are great for warm feet. They're incredibly warm, fully waterproof to the knee, have a fitted sole with a vibram rubber on the bottom. They also worked quite well on the double toe hook move on Toe Jam and Earl at Carrock. I'm amazed the likes of Scarpa / Sportiva haven't made some sort of crossover neoprene welly / walking boot yet

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#31 Re: cold or too cold?
January 20, 2017, 04:02:57 pm
I always keep my shoes next to my skin between goes, keeps em warm. On my little trip yesterday to Targa on the way back down I came across two French boulderers, on racettes (snow shoes) and with ski poles. I felt very English and ill prepared in my wellies and waterproofs.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#32 Re: cold or too cold?
January 20, 2017, 04:05:37 pm
I always keep my shoes next to my skin between goes, keeps em warm. On my little trip yesterday to Targa on the way back down I came across two French boulderers, on racquettes (snow shoes) and with ski poles. I felt very English and ill prepared in my wellies and waterproofs.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#33 Re: cold or too cold?
January 21, 2017, 01:25:41 pm
I really struggle to climb well with thermal long johns under my strides although saying that I struggle to climb well these day full stop

Eddies

• forum hero
#34 Re: cold or too cold?
January 22, 2017, 02:21:27 pm
Long johns are very warm but feels like climbing with arthritic legs! Had to down-trow at Bowden and whip them off to enable a send of Vienna... better to have them than not tho.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal