UKBouldering.com

Why aren't you a BMC member ? (Read 112547 times)

WillRobertson

• regular
#200 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 10, 2017, 03:42:07 pm
Sorry Paul. After using this forum for god knows how many years I still have no f**king idea how to use the quote thingy.

Having looked for the sake of interest/boredom, it would appear that today is your 11th UKBirthday  :beer2:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#201 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 11, 2017, 01:36:10 am
Thread split?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#202 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 11, 2017, 08:51:28 am
I think Simon is getting a great portrait of the British Climber today.

Apparently a Paranoid Schizophrenic, with OCD for repeated physical actions and borderline Psychotic hatred of other humans within earshot; whilst simultaneously complaining that it's too quiet (and expensive)...

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#203 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 11, 2017, 10:55:25 am
Most British climbers are still having fun.... deluded fools that they are, missing the true seriousness of the games.

petejh

• forum hero
#204 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 11, 2017, 01:47:03 pm
Fucking ell Barrows and 3-9 you're spoilt in Sheffield for training facilities. Don't know about Bristol, foreign lands. If other humans are an issue you both should move to n.Wales and try using The Mill, you're unlikely to interact with more than two other people per month.
The downside is it's a shithole - if you want light (winter, after work? Ha!) then on top of the annual membership fee you have to pay a fiver each time you go to fill up the petrol geny.

Could the BMC not fund a Welsh Schoolroom, please. Could call it Ysgol Grimpiau.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#205 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 11, 2017, 06:51:59 pm
Could the BMC not fund a Welsh Schoolroom, please. Could call it Ysgol Grimpiau.

Without looking back through the pages here, did it crop up that the school room pulls down some funds from the BMC?  It always struck me that it was remarkably cheap for a school membership - 24/7 access to all that for under £200.

petejh

• forum hero
#206 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 11, 2017, 07:08:48 pm
If that's true then I'm going to be straight on the phone/email to Dave T. And whoever else at BMC towers Monday morning.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#207 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 11, 2017, 08:04:07 pm
Fucking ell Barrows and 3-9 you're spoilt in Sheffield for training facilities. Don't know about Bristol, foreign lands. If other humans are an issue you both should move to n.Wales and try using The Mill, you're unlikely to interact with more than two other people per month.
The downside is it's a shithole - if you want light (winter, after work? Ha!) then on top of the annual membership fee you have to pay a fiver each time you go to fill up the petrol geny.

Ive not lived in Sheffield for three years. I've been to the Mill and its fuckin ace. What id give to have that!

gme

• forum hero
#208 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 12, 2017, 08:36:24 am

Without looking back through the pages here, did it crop up that the school room pulls down some funds from the BMC?  It always struck me that it was remarkably cheap for a school membership - 24/7 access to all that for under £200.

Where the fuck did you hear that from. It's funded by ben through Moonclimbing. Makes no profit at all. He only built it so he could have somewhere to train for rainshadow etc.and he needed somewhere to put a moonboard.  30k+ Investment of his own money. He owns the building but could get more money through the door by renting it out at normal commercial warehouse rates.
I guess this was why the moaning from some people didn't go down well.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#209 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 12, 2017, 10:05:41 am
Where the fuck did you hear that from. It's funded by ben through Moonclimbing. Makes no profit at all. He only built it so he could have somewhere to train for rainshadow etc.and he needed somewhere to put a moonboard.  30k+ Investment of his own money. He owns the building but could get more money through the door by renting it out at normal commercial warehouse rates.
I guess this was why the moaning from some people didn't go down well.

I didn't hear it anywhere, just wrongly and lazily assumed there might have been some mention of affiliation/cross-over between the two since the school room was being discussed a lot on this thread.  I suppose mainly I was interested to find out the economical model of how the school room worked (often wondered as couldn't see how it'd be profitable) which you've explained - thanks.  And fair play Moon, great thing to have done.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#210 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 12, 2017, 10:13:36 am
39, am I right in thinking you live in Bristol? Isn't Bristol to the south as Sheffield is to the north of England in terms of climbing population? I'm absolutely sure that there are enough keen people down there to make a private facility viable. Maybe a nice project for you to start one up?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#211 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 12, 2017, 10:59:15 am

It wouldn't be a giveaway but a loan for a community type project isn't inconceivable. Loans are extended for all manner of schemes and judged on a case by case basis whether a film project, guidebook, Peak Rock history, buying a crag or refurbishing a hut.

Paul B

• forum hero
#212 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 12, 2017, 06:36:29 pm
It's funded by ben through Moonclimbing. Makes no profit at all. He only built it so he could have somewhere to train for rainshadow etc.and he needed somewhere to put a moonboard.

Ben was really open with his finances (i.e. posted all of the outgoings required for set up and maintenance) on the Facebook group and as Gav said, there wasn't anything in it for him.

I don't know what you lot have got against the Mill (OK the toilet was grim but the original school loo wasn't much better)!

Three Nine

• forum hero
#213 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 12, 2017, 09:45:16 pm
39, am I right in thinking you live in Bristol? Isn't Bristol to the south as Sheffield is to the north of England in terms of climbing population? I'm absolutely sure that there are enough keen people down there to make a private facility viable. Maybe a nice project for you to start one up?

Yeah the problem is my personality.

petejh

• forum hero
#214 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 12, 2017, 09:56:07 pm
I don't know what you lot have got against the Mill (OK the toilet was grim but the original school loo wasn't much better)!

There isn't any electricity!  :shrug:  Hasn't been for over a year.

It's a good board in a shit building.

I'm wondering if you and 39 have only been when there was electricity. Nowadays you can't go when it's dark unless you fork out petrol money to fill the generator (on top of petrol money to get there an the annual fee.). It sucks.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#215 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 12, 2017, 10:49:11 pm

Yeah the problem is my personality.

You can do it - I believe in you.

Try not to make it the Achille Ratti of Board co-ops though

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#216 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 13, 2017, 01:15:35 am
So in response to the OP- I was a member through my uni club for 4 years and have used the insurance fairly regularly. Not a member this year as have been abroad the whole time but will be one of the first things I buy when I get back. I wasn't that fussed about the whole Climb Britain shenanigans, thought the reaction was overblown but also quite nice to see the BMC respond to the response. As it were!

Re: the gripes over participation.i can't really get my head around that. I haven't tried to do structured endurance training yet for any length of time but to moan about other people fucking up your timings seems monumentally selfish to me. Everyone has a right to be ambitious and to try and take their climbing forward. To complain about busy walls, although admittedly frustrating, comes across as elitist to me.

Paul B

• forum hero
#217 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 13, 2017, 09:18:56 am
There isn't any electricity!  :shrug:  Hasn't been for over a year.

It was before you had proper matting (I ended up with my leg between the mats), so yes, ages.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#218 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 17, 2017, 02:03:18 pm
Re: the gripes over participation.i can't really get my head around that.

Me neither. But to my knowledge the BMC has never had increased participation as a target or overt goal.

There are no officers or programmes currently tasked with bringing newcomers into hill walking and climbing, though we do provide advice, guidance and quality assurance services for training schemes notably through our work with the Mountain Training Association.   

We deal and represent those already participating and seek to increase BMC membership of participants which isnt quite the same thing as increasing overall participation in the sense of increasing the total hillwalking and climbing population - although personally speaking that seems a worthy goal in terms of National health and wellbeing.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#219 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 17, 2017, 02:34:00 pm
Shark – out of interest, how do the BMC measure membership respective to their goals?

You say they seek to increase the membership of participants, so would that be you want to have X% of the outdoor community signed up as members?  Therefore an increasing population of participants mean you have to continually recruit more to hit that percentage.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#220 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 17, 2017, 05:04:21 pm
I think a lack of participation in the "Outdoors", in general, is far worse than too much. Footpath erosion is bad, but apathy to the natural world is far worse. I think, for instance, Stanage edge would make a fucking brilliant wind farm and I always wanted to build villas along Crib Goch...

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#221 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 17, 2017, 07:08:12 pm
Shark – out of interest, how do the BMC measure membership respective to their goals?

You say they seek to increase the membership of participants, so would that be you want to have X% of the outdoor community signed up as members?  Therefore an increasing population of participants mean you have to continually recruit more to hit that percentage.

No %'s though 100,000 members has a nice ring to it - and we'll get there I'm sure. There are after all 2.1m hill walkers and climbers already. We just look at steady year on year increase as a good sign that people want to join us. The more members we have means the more potential and clout to do good things for hill walkers and climbers.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:20:15 pm by shark »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#222 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 22, 2017, 11:34:14 am
Re Participation some recent stats from Sport England:

2,138,900 Hillwalkers and Climbers (note this doesn't include "walking for leisure" ie strolling in a park):

1,967,788 hill walking/hiking
106,945 outdoor climbing
171,112 indoor climbing

There is an overlap because of those individuals engaged in more than one of the activities

www.sportengland.org/media/11498/active-lives-survey-yr-1-report.pdf Go to bottom of report and link to data tables and you can see how this compares to other sports - but we are clearly mainstream

Paul B

• forum hero
#223 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 22, 2017, 12:31:56 pm

During the Brexit Climb Britain edition of the Yorkshire BMC meet, Dave Turnbull stood up and explicitly stated that the BMC do not seek to increase participation directly.

However, it does seem like there's some political phrasing on this topic?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#224 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 22, 2017, 08:29:28 pm
A difference should be made between increased partipation (frequency) by those already participating and new participants to the sport.

As for outdoor climbing Bill Gordan told Grimer that he has noticed a decline in climbers at Stanage over the years. So that's settled that  ;)

I'm assuming no is bothered about the increase in indoor climbing participants (unless they dare to venture outdoors)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal