UKBouldering.com

Why aren't you a BMC member ? (Read 57251 times)

James Malloch

• junky
#225 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 17, 2017, 02:34:00 pm
Shark out of interest, how do the BMC measure membership respective to their goals?

You say they seek to increase the membership of participants, so would that be you want to have X% of the outdoor community signed up as members?  Therefore an increasing population of participants mean you have to continually recruit more to hit that percentage.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably wont last the week.
  • Bugger! 49 arrived. I Thought opted out of ageing.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#226 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 17, 2017, 05:04:21 pm
I think a lack of participation in the "Outdoors", in general, is far worse than too much. Footpath erosion is bad, but apathy to the natural world is far worse. I think, for instance, Stanage edge would make a fucking brilliant wind farm and I always wanted to build villas along Crib Goch...

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#227 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 17, 2017, 07:08:12 pm
Shark out of interest, how do the BMC measure membership respective to their goals?

You say they seek to increase the membership of participants, so would that be you want to have X% of the outdoor community signed up as members?  Therefore an increasing population of participants mean you have to continually recruit more to hit that percentage.

No %'s though 100,000 members has a nice ring to it - and we'll get there I'm sure. There are after all 2.1m hill walkers and climbers already. We just look at steady year on year increase as a good sign that people want to join us. The more members we have means the more potential and clout to do good things for hill walkers and climbers.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:20:15 pm by shark »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#228 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 22, 2017, 11:34:14 am
Re Participation some recent stats from Sport England:

2,138,900 Hillwalkers and Climbers (note this doesn't include "walking for leisure" ie strolling in a park):

1,967,788 hill walking/hiking
106,945 outdoor climbing
171,112 indoor climbing

There is an overlap because of those individuals engaged in more than one of the activities

www.sportengland.org/media/11498/active-lives-survey-yr-1-report.pdf Go to bottom of report and link to data tables and you can see how this compares to other sports - but we are clearly mainstream

Paul B

• forum hero
#229 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 22, 2017, 12:31:56 pm

During the Brexit Climb Britain edition of the Yorkshire BMC meet, Dave Turnbull stood up and explicitly stated that the BMC do not seek to increase participation directly.

However, it does seem like there's some political phrasing on this topic?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#230 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 22, 2017, 08:29:28 pm
A difference should be made between increased partipation (frequency) by those already participating and new participants to the sport.

As for outdoor climbing Bill Gordan told Grimer that he has noticed a decline in climbers at Stanage over the years. So that's settled that  ;)

I'm assuming no is bothered about the increase in indoor climbing participants (unless they dare to venture outdoors)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#231 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 22, 2017, 08:33:02 pm
A difference should be made between increased partipation (frequency) by those already participating and new participants to the sport.

As for outdoor climbing Bill Gordan told Grimer that he has noticed a decline in climbers at Stanage over the years. So that's settled that  ;)

I'm assuming no is bothered about the increase in indoor climbing participants (unless they dare to venture outdoors)

Or have structured training plans...

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#232 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 22, 2017, 08:35:16 pm
I often have to queue for routes at the wall on Wednesday evening. Twunts should all feck off; nobody should be allowed in unless they are able to produce a suitably battered & mangled RP*

I otoh should have access to a continually increasing range of excellent training facilities without them having to have any means of being financially viable.

* Other pieces of vintage trad gear are available

northern yob

• regular
#233 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 28, 2017, 08:42:58 pm
 https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2017/02/28/british-mountaineering-council-board-faces-no-confidence-motion  I couldn't care less either way about the rebrand, I do however have issue with the decision making process and the cosy jobs for the boys nature of the whole setup.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#234 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 28, 2017, 09:17:20 pm
I do however have issue with the decision making process and the cosy jobs for the boys nature of the whole setup.

Could you explain what your specific grievances are?

tomtom

• forum hero
#235 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 28, 2017, 09:30:21 pm
Climb Britain was just a softener - to get the old lags used to a bit of change happening. Y'know, get those jowls warmed up for a bit of extra wobbling.

Later on this year is where its at - when the BMC gets re-branded as 'Climb Faster' - complete with a new line in instructional DVD/online videos - lycra work out attire and promotional Climb Faster branded Evoques for all BMC personnel. With additional sponsorship from Tena.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#236 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 28, 2017, 09:52:31 pm
I often have to queue for routes at the wall on Wednesday evening. Twunts should all feck off; nobody should be allowed in unless they are able to produce a suitably battered & mangled RP*

I otoh should have access to a continually increasing range of excellent training facilities without them having to have any means of being financially viable.

* Other pieces of vintage trad gear are available

RP?! Shirley you really mean that no-one else should be allowed to share "your" facilities unless they (also) have a stop-watch, a heart-rate monitor, a weight-vest, and a very serious face  ;) 

Personally, it really gets on  my tits when white-socked gym refugees get in the way of my portable blood testing lab - I nearly choke on my lactate-buffering smoothie.

tomtom

• forum hero
#237 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 28, 2017, 10:08:00 pm
Holy creatine Batman - what is the world coming to...

Doylo

• forum hero
#238 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
February 28, 2017, 10:15:12 pm
Stanage numbers may be in decline but Parisella's is rammed. Fucking BMC.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#239 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
March 01, 2017, 08:00:22 am

Well, tell the other fella to move over a bit...

tomtom

• forum hero
#240 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
March 01, 2017, 08:36:18 am

Dogging.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#241 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
March 01, 2017, 09:46:40 am
I don't know when you last went Pete, but I'm sure Derw and Hazelhoff said there was leccy now, so no need for topping up the generator with petty.

There is also some talk of a moon board installation which has met with mixed response so far and altering the rarely used right hand roof-barrel bit.

petejh

• forum hero
#243 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
March 01, 2017, 05:14:32 pm
Where's the BMC board? And does it have leccy?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#244 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
March 02, 2017, 11:38:30 am
https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2017/02/28/british-mountaineering-council-board-faces-no-confidence-motion#

Motion of no confidence tabled by Bob Pettigrew, former BMC President (named in the CC newsletter), a follow-on from the Climb Britain rebranding. The BMC executive misjudged the views of many of the membership over this, but members were given the chance to say their bit, were listened to, and the decision reversed. I don't see the point of going over it again.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#245 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
March 02, 2017, 12:02:09 pm
https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2017/02/28/british-mountaineering-council-board-faces-no-confidence-motion#

Motion of no confidence tabled by Bob Pettigrew, former BMC President (named in the CC newsletter), a follow-on from the Climb Britain rebranding. The BMC executive misjudged the views of many of the membership over this, but members were given the chance to say their bit, were listened to, and the decision reversed. I don't see the point of going over it again.

It's the kind of petty, nit-picking crap; that puts people off in the first place. I see it as "Old-guard take on uppity new-guard for not doing things the way they would have".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave

#246 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
March 02, 2017, 12:19:08 pm
Don't really see what they hope to gain from that motion. I'm sure the top brass involved in the Climb Brexit farce will have more than learnt a lesson from that whose debacle.

tomtom

• forum hero
#247 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
March 02, 2017, 12:36:04 pm
I suspect that anyone involved in the running of a club/charity/not for profit organisation would not find this surprising.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#248 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
March 02, 2017, 12:41:07 pm
It's got to be about more than Climb Britain though hasn't it? The exec made some decisions about Climb Britain following the usual consultation process, and then when the membership kicked off carried out a thorough consultation period and reviewed the decision. It's hardly a reason to get rid of the people involved is it?

It looks to me like old farts who don't like the concept of the BMC being involved in comps and representing indoor climbers trying to capitalise on the Climb Britain thing and oust the current set of decision makers, presumably to try and replace them with those with more conservative values. I think this would be quite damaging to the organisation in the long run.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#249 Re: Why aren't you a BMC member ?
March 02, 2017, 12:57:27 pm
I can't see this motion gaining much traction. The BMC board should go along with the farce. Far from unseating anyone I'd have thought it will only serve to rally support for those being challenged.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal