UKBouldering.com

Jobs (Read 11120 times)

Dave Mayes

• regular
#25 Re: Jobs
November 03, 2015, 12:47:30 pm
Environmental consultancy? Seems to be a mix of fieldwork and report writing. A mate of mine did a Chemistry MA and has worked in this sector for the past 15 years, now 4 days a week as a middle manager at RPS having had various sabbaticals along the way.
I've been told about this by a couple of people actually, will have a look into it - cheers!

Regarding scientific writing, not Sheffield, but big medical writing company in Macclesfield. Adelphi. Most of the peak would be on the way home.

In fact they have a vacancy currently http://www.adelphicommunications.com/join-us/job-detail-template.aspx?id=16

I recruited for them in the 90's. Company had a nice vibe though I expect long hours are the norm in that type of industry. 
That sort of thing looks really, really interesting actually. My actual degree is in Medicinal Chemistry, so would be perfect. Involves writing and teaching too, minus teenagers. Winner! Maybe I'll drop them a mail with my current situation and see if they have any advice.

Working full time sucks, but after a year you get used to it and forget how good life can be.

I really hope I continue to have enough gap years/sabbaticals/career breaks to never forget how good life can be. Fuck that.

Thanks - will take it all into account. I know that if I took a year out to climb I'd get injured on minute 1 of day 1.
I suspect that if you're the kind of person who doesn't mind not having years out to go climbing then you're the kind of person who won't mind full-time work too badly.
It's not that I don't love the idea, it's just I'm injury prone and unlucky with this sort of thing. Spent the entirety of my last summer climbing and the whole time was brilliant.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#26 Re: Jobs
November 03, 2015, 01:45:59 pm
Regarding scientific writing, not Sheffield, but big medical writing company in Macclesfield. Adelphi. Most of the peak would be on the way home.

In fact they have a vacancy currently http://www.adelphicommunications.com/join-us/job-detail-template.aspx?id=16

I recruited for them in the 90's. Company had a nice vibe though I expect long hours are the norm in that type of industry. 
That sort of thing looks really, really interesting actually. My actual degree is in Medicinal Chemistry, so would be perfect. Involves writing and teaching too, minus teenagers. Winner! Maybe I'll drop them a mail with my current situation and see if they have any advice.

I remembered the other company I was thinking of also in Cheshire also as it happens advertising for a Medical Writer

https://www4.recruitingcenter.net/Clients/kp360group/PublicJobs/controller.cfm?jbaction=JobProfile&Job_Id=10836&esid=az

Fuck I'm good at this shit

galpinos

• forum hero
#27 Re: Jobs
November 03, 2015, 03:53:48 pm

Funnily enough we've got a new graduate starting at our place from the RISE scheme who has a degree in Chemistry/Chem Engineering. And we don't do anything to do with chemistry, (PLC & SCADA software, some electrical engineering), which is interesting.
Other option would be oil & gas stuff if you can handle being away for chunks at a time
That's promising! Not sure how I'd find living away on a rig or whatever, probably not that psyched.

The "Oil and Gas" thing is actually part of a massive "Energy and Chemicals" Industry that employs a lot of chemical engineers and generally takes on graduates if that's your thing. The industry isn't that buoyant at the moment but as an example in our office we have 2 Pharma projects, 1 refinery project, 4 chemicals projects and 1 nuclear project. None of these are off shore, some do involve site work (which is actually quite interesting) but as a process engineer (which would be your path) not very much (i.e., plenty of site visists, no need to be there for 6 months). It will mean there's a chance you'll end up working with some dubious clients/organisations.

andyh

• stalker
#28 Re: Jobs
November 03, 2015, 04:22:50 pm
I've worked as a Technical Writer (or Author) on and off for the last 15 years.

Plenty of jobs in Manufacturing, IT, Oil & Gas, Finance, etc.

Once you've got a couple of years under your belt and have the right buzzwords on your CV there's lots of contracting opportunities. Work for 6 months, take 6 months off.

The job isn't necessarily the most interesting, often sat at a desk staring at a screen, but it is what you make of it. Depending on where you work there's the opportunity to diversify - eg: I could easily switch to Website content writing or UX design with the experience I have.

Pay's pretty good, and depending on industry there can be lots of work at home opportunities, and work abroad opportunities (I had a good few months in Switzerland), especially if you can learn a second language.

It's also an aging demographic, so not too much competition for entry level jobs.

http://techwhirl.com/what-is-technical-writing/
http://www.writingassist.com/resources/articles/which-skill-sets-are-important-for-a-technical-writer/
http://www.indeed.co.uk/Technical-Writer-jobs

Obviously I'd much rather be working as a Hollywood script writer. Choose wisely now, it's a lot harder to change later...

Dave Mayes

• regular
#29 Re: Jobs
November 04, 2015, 07:27:22 pm
Cheers for the advice! The idea of being a technical/medical writer does seem to have legs.

There is a part of me that really fancies escaping the chem and working in a climbing wall for a year like you JJ. It'd be nice to feel like I know what I'm talking about for once!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#30 Re: Jobs
November 18, 2015, 12:01:05 pm
If you've analytical skills I just clocked a statistician position at the HSE right next door to Harpur Hill.

Dave Mayes

• regular
#31 Re: Jobs
January 12, 2017, 02:05:12 pm
Just been offered a medical writing job in Macc, cheers for the advice!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#32 Re: Jobs
January 12, 2017, 02:12:43 pm
 :beer2:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal