UKBouldering.com

Crag Hounds (Read 4372 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Crag Hounds
January 04, 2017, 06:42:23 pm
There must be a few dog lovers here. Show us your hound!

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1 Re: Crag Hounds
January 04, 2017, 06:43:40 pm
And photos won't post...

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2 Re: Crag Hounds
January 04, 2017, 06:45:27 pm
#inb4habrichlogpilesit

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#3 Re: Crag Hounds
January 04, 2017, 07:26:40 pm

My Retriever, Working breed so dark like a Setter and smaller than the show dogs. Faster and dumb as a dustbin lid. Ran straight off the cliff at Long Quarry point, chasing a seagull, 50 foot drop into the sea. Ran full tilt into a cattle grid, climbed out and sat looking at it with her head on it's side.
Always staked when I climb, then we share the blanket when I have a coffee. She never calls out unwelcome beta and thinks I'm great even when I fall off.
After our last enduro walk, having done 22 km in 4:30 across Dartmoor in a howling gale, she chased Lapwings while I limped like an 80 year old to the car...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Crag Hounds
January 05, 2017, 09:08:30 am
Ran straight off the cliff at Long Quarry point, chasing a seagull, 50 foot drop into the sea. Ran full tilt into a cattle grid, climbed out and sat looking at it with her head on it's side.

LOL!! Great stuff.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Crag Hounds
January 05, 2017, 09:39:03 am
Quote from: Oldmanmatt link=topic=27730.msg541385#msg541385
My Retriever
[/quote

Lovely dog.

We were climbing at Ravensheugh once and there was a mad dog there, just wanted to chase sticks, so I flung one from the bottom of the crag down the hill. The dog took off across a big flat boulder and just launched itself into the valley and disappeared down the hill. I was convinced it must be dead or at least injured, but it must have landed on the 45 degree brwcken below and just tumbled to a stop, and came charging back for more.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#6 Re: Crag Hounds
January 05, 2017, 10:05:31 am

Here's Hoobie! He's not technically my dog he's Owen's, but probably as close as I'm going to get to having one until either I work less hours or can have a dog at work... Perfect crag dog!

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#7 Re: Crag Hounds
January 05, 2017, 11:11:22 am

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Crag Hounds
January 05, 2017, 11:23:41 am
None myself, but mate has a couple of greyhounds who are both lovely and occasionally accompany us to the crag.

Comfy Patch by slack---line, on Flickr

Walk This Way by slack---line, on Flickr

Only Copper (the brindle) is a crag hound though, happy to lounge around and doesn't make a fuss, but make sure your sandwiches are packed away safely.  The other (Roxy) is a bit crazy and doesn't like sitting down, loves running though, caught here in full flow on the beach in Pembroke...

Fast by slack---line, on Flickr

I was surprised how lazy greyhounds are in general though, they'll go like the clappers when they want to and will walk for hours (to a point), but seem just as happy sitting doing nothing.

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Crag Hounds
January 05, 2017, 01:00:59 pm
I was surprised how lazy greyhounds are in general though, they'll go like the clappers when they want to and will walk for hours (to a point), but seem just as happy sitting doing nothing.

I think a lot of people are. We decided to get ours (Nina) for that very reason. You can beast her at the weekend during the winter with a couple of big walks and she'll just sleep for the first few days of the week. At Kilnsey she's happy just to go to sleep although we keep her attached to her harness via a long extendable lead as her prey drive would mean she might just chase something onto the road etc. I think with age (she's 6 ish) she just won't be bothered anymore.

I sometimes regret getting a dog as it makes training harder (currently she's unhappy about us being back at work) and adds pressures that didn't previously exist on both work and climbing (if she can't come with for whatever reason i.e. it's too cold / too hot to be left in the car / not allowed at the crag) but for the most part it's been a great experience. As she's a rescue (and if you have a read you'll note greyhounds get a sh*tty deal), we've seen her open up, start trusting humans etc.) and it's a good thing to be part of. It also makes me get out of the house a lot which can be no bad thing (although a lot of walks to seem to feature a pub).

Nina (bonus points for crag identification):

Some photos of her running:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHfhpB9Bxoc/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHm36d8BKT4/

and a video of one very happy hound:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGw62vYCgJc/

Duma

• forum hero
#11 Re: Crag Hounds
January 05, 2017, 01:03:28 pm
Petit Bois?

Paul B