UKBouldering.com

New indoor climbing facility in the South East? (Read 4020 times)

Jock Strap

New indoor climbing facility in the South East?
December 14, 2016, 11:42:48 am
I'd be interested in your thoughts for a new indoor climbing facility in South East England?

I'm in the early stages of planning, so do not yet have a specific area in mind. Would you mind completing the survey and sharing with you climbing and non-climbing friends?

Any other feedback is welcomed in this topic.

Thanks,
Aarron

https://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/v5ggzbSG

DampRice

Which locations are you considering? The only thing that would determine which indoor centre I visit is if it is closer than others and is above my minimum standards for training. A good lead wall between Brighton and London would be nice!

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
yep, its largely down to location for indoor walls, stick it near me and I'll probably go.  Even if the routes are more interesting somewhere else if it takes significantly longer to get there I just rarely have the time so go to the nearest.

i.munro

• junky
By contrast, I will & do travel (currently 90 mins each way despite 2 walls being within 20 mins of my flat) for good setting and conditions. I did find the 2nd half of your survey impossible to answer though, as it would all depend: - on the above.

SamD

• regular
How far South? The is a glaring omission in the Cambridge area. Likewise east of England around Ipswich!

Jock Strap

Thanks for your responses so far.

Im trying to get a feel for where would be suitable, based on what is currently available / being used in the area. I live in Kent and there are few walls in this region so Im concentrating on this area at present.

I'd hope that I can find a location easily accessible by road and public transport.

Fadanoid

• addict
North Maidstone was my choice when I was thinking about doing this myself.

You would capture the maidstone/medway population which i think is the highest in the county. 20 mins away is Ashford with the second.

Nearest competitors would be:

Scout centre (Maidstone) - No threat as the opening hours are allegedly bizarre and subject to change. Also quite small.
Karma/chaos or whatever its now called (T wells) - Never been myself but owner of a hold manufacturer described it as world class.
Arethusa (Rochester) - Not hard to offer a better venue than them as its dated and as part of a charity centre its unlikely they will invest or expand in size.
The reach (Woolwich) - Where i used to go before I built my own moonboard and indoor boards at home. Would be my first choice if i wanted to go to a wall.
Revolution (Ramsgate) - Think this place is small?
The huge folkestone centre under construction - Might be the biggest place in the south east when built? However based on the initial plans i have seen, all the bouldering looks too vertical to attract repeat customers. I don't think there has been any consultation with climbers as its also a skateboard centre, so might not be a threat. Plus folkestone is an arse to get to.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
How far South? The is a glaring omission in the Cambridge area. Likewise east of England around Ipswich!

Well Kelsey Kerridge has had quite a makeover recently, and feedback from my best mate who lives down there is that it's decent / not crap.

http://www.kelseykerridge.co.uk/sports-centre/climbing-wall/

Not anywhere on the scale of The Depot / Works etc though. I've always wondered about setting something up down there (as it's where I'm from originally) but I just think rents would be crippling and not 100% convinced about the active user base down there.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Not anywhere on the scale of The Depot / Works etc though. I've always wondered about setting something up down there (as it's where I'm from originally) but I just think rents would be crippling and not 100% convinced about the active user base down there.

Students have been buildering in Cambridge since the 19030s, they even had guide books!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal