UKBouldering.com

Sheffield Trees! (Read 22232 times)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#50 Re: Sheffield Trees!
March 26, 2018, 07:55:23 pm
Yes.

Who knows, may just be another "pause" - for political reasons, with local elections just a month away, but good news nonetheless.

We've started a "people's audit" of the contract and works too.

There are so many roads with no trees, where no resurfacing work has been done, and yet the council use the tree protests as a bloody convenient scapegoat for what hasn't been done.

All this talk of spurious targets, pinning the Council down on a number etc is a smoke screen for the real issue. Huge amounts spent trying to defeat any opposing voice, while failing to deliver in other areas.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#51 Re: Sheffield Trees!
March 27, 2018, 12:07:06 pm
I've absolutely no faith that this pause represents a change of heart. Nothing in the press release suggests any change in attitude.

I suspect the press attention and looming elections are the main driver, but one hope is that the police may be getting cold feet.

The Independent Tree Panel should have been the solution years back. That it wasn't suggests deeper change may be the only solution.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#52 Re: Sheffield Trees!
March 27, 2018, 02:55:44 pm
Yes agree with you there wholeheartedly JB.

The trees are a side issue - albeit a very very important one.

It's the same issue with the Peak/Derwent etc, people in "offices" managing cases to suit vested interest.

What's possibly worse, is other people going along with the "official message", possibly accepting it because it's easier. Who knows?

People (climbers) will moan about the loss of access to crags when that happens - in the way that others protest against the loss of trees (a voice that needs to be heard) - but there appears to be a reluctance to challenge the "establishment".

I apply that to things like debate surrounding the BMC too. It's always important that questions can be asked. That's the most important thing. In my opinion.

I've been somewhat bemused at the relative lack of response from the climbing community about this issue - one community of people fighting hard against the sort of issues we (climbers) often face in our world.

"Who wants the World" may be the name of a somewhat scratty Gibson E5 at Millstone, but I've always been struck by the powerful irony in the name.

Like the climb, the real issue remains hard, serious and neglected.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#54 Re: Sheffield Trees!
June 07, 2018, 11:24:19 pm
Thanks for posting that  :thumbsup:

There are various crowd funding initiatives to help raise enough money to cover legal costs.

I'll post up some links, unless anyone else can.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#55 Re: Sheffield Trees!
June 08, 2018, 10:43:47 pm
Fairly stunned to read this, seems absurdly harsh
Last year another protester, Calvin Payne, was found to have breached an injunction not to enter a “safety zone” around trees earmarked for the chop, and to have incited others on Facebook to follow his lead. He was given a suspended sentence and told to pay the council’s £16,000 legal costs,

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#56 Re: Sheffield Trees!
June 09, 2018, 11:25:39 am
The council deliberately employed a very high priced QC so that costs will be high. They've consistently used tactics to scare the protestors.

To the best of my knowledge the council have not yet coughed up for the costs awarded against them for their failed attempt to have a Green councillor convicted of the same.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#57 Re: Sheffield Trees!
June 12, 2018, 01:38:42 am
Hi Will.

It won't do to have the public expressing dissent and causing trouble on the streets. It's important to show them who's boss afterall.

Here's the link to the legal fund crowdfunder page:

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/sheffield-street-trees-legal-fund-2018-3

kelvin

• forum hero
#58 Re: Sheffield Trees!
July 15, 2018, 09:53:35 am
An article from my local newspaper (or what was) of what a local resident is doing to highlight tree felling. I wasn't even aware of trees disappearing as a problem locally.

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/northampton-campaigner-replaces-spots-where-former-trees-once-stood-with-her-own-creations-1-8567298

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#59 Re: Sheffield Trees!
March 13, 2019, 04:54:40 pm
Hi Folks.

A couple of things to highlight about the tree campaign - and importantly also relevant to governance/democracy at Sheffield City Council.

First of all, news about the selling off of the PFI contract:

Amey plc have sold the Sheffield Streets Ahead PFI contract

https://greenworld.org.uk/article/exclusive-amey-sells-its-pfi-stakes-sheffield

More importantly, there is a campaign to change the way that the Council is run.

Currently, SCC (I'm pretty sure, the only Council still to do so) uses the "Strong Leader" model for decision making. The It's Our City campaign has been launched in the hope of securing a referendum for a vote on whether the Council should move to the Committee style of decision making process.

https://www.itsoursheffield.co.uk/

Please sign the petition if you're A Sheffield resident who would like to support this change:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sheffield-peoples-petition

In a nutshell, currently only 9 of the 84 Sheffield Councillors make decisions in the city. A move away from this "Strong Leader" model to a modern "Committee" based model would allow all 84 Councillors of all parties to contribute to, and scrutinise all the decisions.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#60 Re: Sheffield Trees!
March 13, 2019, 10:17:56 pm
NB. The petition is live, but for some reason will only open in one of four browsers on my phone. PC may be better.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#61 Re: Sheffield Trees!
June 24, 2019, 03:04:21 pm
Just caught this on the wireless... docu drama on Sheffield trees:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00066yq

On catchy-upy soon hopefully

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#62 Re: Sheffield Trees!
June 24, 2019, 03:08:27 pm
Thanks Steveri.  :thumbsup:

My post seemed to get replaced by yours at the same time!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal