UKBouldering.com

Seeing Photos (Read 4313 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Seeing Photos
December 05, 2016, 01:02:32 pm
My posts are a bit random ATM, apologies in advance:

Last night I dug out my ageing desktop PC which has been boxed up since the move back in Apr 2014 to find the originals of a few shots I wanted printing to mount in my hallway (I'm pretty excited for these as I'm using DSC for the first time). I didn't have the date of capture and given I'm very hit and miss with tagging I couldn't find it without trawling through past photos. This wasn't such a bad thing as there were loads in there I couldn't even remember taking, some landscapes or climbing shots, others simply snapshots from holidays (the wife sat beneath an eerily misty Tre Cime for instance).

I had the idea a while back of trying to compile images into printed albums, but like my wedding album, they'd unlikely get looked at very often. I should definitely print more stuff but it's not really sustainable to plaster every surface of my house with photos; is there another way of seeing these that isn't a bit cr*p? I can't seem to get much beyond computer desktop image / digital photo frame.

Is it possible to do something with Chromecast?

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1 Re: Seeing Photos
December 05, 2016, 01:07:14 pm
I do a printed book each year of the best of the years photos. They sit under the coffee table and do get looked at. Easier for carting round relatives, and acts as another backup.

I've used Photobox, but Blurb are good too.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Seeing Photos
December 05, 2016, 01:18:03 pm

Is it possible to do something with Chromecast?

Yes, you can set each Chromecast to use different sources for their backdrop when not streaming content.

There are some defaults but you can use your own Flickr/Google Photos/Farcebook pictures.  I do this on three Chromecasts and customise the albums that are shown on each (e.g. wifes TV gets more child pictures, mine gets more climbing/landscape, living room gets everything).  The key to any of these is organising your pictures on them in the first place so you can choose which albums to include as possible sources for backdrops.

Full details here.

dave

#3 Re: Seeing Photos
December 05, 2016, 01:34:29 pm
I've got an app on our ipads that streams photos to the chromecast as a slideshow etc, with various options. Only got the free version with a logo on screen but it works well. Will try to find the name of it later but I'm sure there are various options for similar things.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Seeing Photos
December 05, 2016, 01:43:08 pm
Is that solely for pictures that are on your tablet and not online at Flickr/Google Photos/Farcebook?

If its just using the online sources then the Chromecast can be configured directly to download them, saving you tablets battery from constantly communicating with the Chromecast (link above describes how to do this from both Android devices and iOS).

If its pictures that have never been put online and are just on the tablet/phone then you can't avoid the battery drain on sending the picture to the Chromecast but an application which will do this for you under Android is LocalCast which is the best all-round casting application (for Android and it works with things other than Chromecasts too).  It will also work if you're pictures are on a NAS and served up over uPnP/DLNA which would avoid draining the battery of your tablet/phone.

dave

#5 Re: Seeing Photos
December 05, 2016, 01:45:57 pm
I've just used it for steaming photos from an icloud photostream.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Seeing Photos
December 05, 2016, 01:57:54 pm
Cool, just checking, iCloud isn't supported by the Home (nee Chromecast) application so you've no other option.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Seeing Photos
December 12, 2016, 02:44:30 pm
I used DSC:
http://dscolourlabsupload.livelinkprint.com/index

For the prints referred to within this thread and (if anyone cares) I'm really pleased with the print quality of not only their standard 'lustre' prints but also their 'Fuji Large Format Prints', I'm hoping when mounted the landscape I have of the Needles looks as good if not better behind glass.

However, one caveat is that for a few prints I'd tried to fake a double mount using photoshop strikes (20px of white, followed by 10px of black, both interior to the 'image size', I'd then expanded the 'image canvas' in PS in black to the nearest print size (in inches). Speaking with DSC after this failed to fit within the mount (I couldn't see any of the strikes) I owned I was told that there's 1-2% enlargement due to the printers they use and that it's unavoidable; 6-7mm borders are required as a minimum.

I'll look at Chromecast at some point. However, taking the time to upload a back catalogue of images is going to take a while. Slackers - does it work off none-public albums?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Seeing Photos
December 12, 2016, 02:51:09 pm
Slackers - does it work off none-public albums?

Should do, I mark certain pictures as viewable to 'Family' only when I upload them then add them to an album.  I can select this album and have pictures come through on the Chromecast.  I've never worked out how to restrict a whole album to be none-public though (just checked again and couldn't see an option in Organizr when editing the album, although you can perform batch edits on the album and make all contents private in one go)

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Seeing Photos
December 12, 2016, 03:12:37 pm
The desktop uploader allows for it.

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#10 Re: Seeing Photos
December 14, 2016, 10:33:28 am
paul if you want prints try valley photo print in stocksbridge. i went to uni with the guy and he is very good. he taught the lecturers at college and uni how to print properly. ive yet to see a canvas as good as what he does.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal