UKBouldering.com

The Great British Burn Off (Read 18045 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#50 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 09:49:41 am
Realised I should've called this thread The Great British Burn Off but the moment has passed.

No it hasn't   ;)

Glance at the thread title quickly and it can easily be misread for The Great British Bum Off.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#51 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 09:59:29 am
Your very own Freudian Rorschach's Test there Slackers. Anyway back to business DT.

Lardy's Layaway anyone?  You know who you are Martin Veale, John Allen and the incomparable DT 90  :lol: :lol:

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#52 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 11:00:15 am
Burnt the Dawes off on the edge problem at the cromlech boulders but it doesn't feel as good cos it is bloody horrible and the second worst move in Wales...

I'm curious what the worst move in Wales is? Johnnys/Stevie's Wall?

andy_e

• forum hero
#53 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 11:33:14 am
Does burning off short people count? ;)

No. I regularly used to lank things Martin couldn't do. The tables were turned on anything requiring strength though.

petejh

• forum hero
#54 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 11:36:59 am
Does burning off at a distance count?

I put up a new route which I thought was hard 7b+ or soft 7c, didn't have much trouble doing it. Friends kept telling me it was solid 7c. Last year was told by a friend that Simon Nadin either failed to get up it or it took him quite a bit of effort, declaring it nails. Scalped!

Mule - 8B bouldering beast shut down by a bit of a run-out on the crux of my route Red Meat.

Once had to take over the lead of the 5b crux pitch on an E1 on Plexus Buttress, from my font 8A-climbing mate who'd forgotten how to smear and balance.

Doylo's in my sights, if I can just trick him onto an pumpy 6c after he's spent 4 months on his board.

Doylo

• forum hero
#55 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 12:00:58 pm
Does burning off at a distance count?

I put up a new route which I thought was hard 7b+ or soft 7c, didn't have much trouble doing it. Friends kept telling me it was solid 7c. Last year was told by a friend that Simon Nadin either failed to get up it or it took him quite a bit of effort, declaring it nails. Scalped!

Mule - 8B bouldering beast shut down by a bit of a run-out on the crux of my route Red Meat.

Once had to take over the lead of the 5b crux pitch on an E1 on Plexus Buttress, from my font 8A-climbing mate who'd forgotten how to smear and balance.

Doylo's in my sights, if I can just trick him onto an pumpy 6c after he's spent 4 months on his board.

You sure that was Simon Nadin? I heard Ian Vickers found Underworld nails. I'm easy to burn off. I beat Pasquill on my deadhang piece of wood in uni which I was chuffed about as his fingers are very strong.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#56 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 12:11:21 pm
I beat Kurt Albert at arm wrestling  :strongbench:

petejh

• forum hero
#57 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 12:13:45 pm
My bad, was Ian Vickers.

tomtom

• forum hero
#58 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 12:22:27 pm
I beat Kurt Albert at arm wrestling  :strongbench:
[emoji1320][emoji1320][emoji1320]

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#59 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 12:32:36 pm
On the subject of The Edge problem, I once warmed up on the sitter in my trainers whilst professional scrittle shuffler Andy Jennings couldn't do it period. Might not be Megos but burning Andy off feels 1000 times better!

Wood FT

• forum hero
#60 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 02:42:35 pm
On the subject of The Edge problem, I once warmed up on the sitter in my trainers whilst professional scrittle shuffler Andy Jennings couldn't do it period. Might not be Megos but burning Andy off feels 1000 times better!

I'd love to burn Andy off on an Arête....one can dream

fried

• forum hero
#61 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 02:51:19 pm
Love this thread, like a cross between Viz and Carry on Climbing.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#62 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 04:03:51 pm
I was thinking if I could contribute somehow, trying to find some relation with the "British" requirement. It's proven hard though, because on British soil I've climbed with Michele Caminati, Monolith, Crouch, Matt O'Donnell, Ru, Jim, Dylan, Dobbin: forget about burning them off.
Otherwise I've climbed around with Uncle and James Pearson. Good luck with them also.
Great thread though.

tomtom

• forum hero
#63 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 04:44:28 pm
I don't think I've ever burned anyone off....

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#64 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 08:25:51 pm
Me and Barnsley's most famous alpinist, Mr Cave hooked up with Jacky Godoffe at Elephant one afternoon to let Jacky give us a tour. Jacky took us over to Elephant nord to try a problem he said he wanted to do, as he'd tried it previously and failed to complete it. The boulder in question is called Tour de Garde - a classic slabby 7a, not that me and Cavey knew this.
Anyway, Jacky threw down the pad, slipped on his Ninjas and proceeded to get half way up before his feet blew off a smear and he fell off. Andy tries next and falls off high up. Then I have a go and drop it where Andy did. Godoffe tries again but the same thing happens - the Boreals aren't working so good on the smears. Then Andy dispatches it second try. Then I do it too. Then we spent a beautiful half hour watching as Fontainebleau's finest proceeded to have  an absolutely torrid time. Obviously, whilst holding Jacky in the highest regard, but also being a pair of horrible sods, we proceeded to rip the piss mercilessly whilst the ginger one flailed about..... you can imagine...
"Bloody hell, Percy. I do believe we're both better than Jacky. This has made my trip!"
"You'll do it in a minute Jacky - would you like one of us to show you how to do it again?"  etc, etc...

To his credit, Jacky eventually did it, but he must have had more than 20 tries. My abiding memory, other than him muttering that he couldn't go 'til he did it because he couldn't be burnt off by a pair of British punters, was that on finally getting to the top, he looked straight into my eyes with a look of wild madness as he sunk his teeth deep into a tree branch that overhung the top out. I think the teeth marks are probably still in it! Nutter.

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#65 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 21, 2016, 02:11:32 pm
Does burning a strong visitor to you own board count? in which case I burnt Vickers off on several pinch problems, tides were turned when he tried my crimpier problems tho.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#66 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 21, 2016, 02:43:57 pm
Excellent thread. Great story - well told - from Percy B. Burning-off a wad away from home is one thing, but doing them over on their home turf is very impressive.

I'm not one for face-to-face competition and I've never knowingly burnt-off anyone. Which is not at all to say I'm not competitive. Generations of strong Brits. humbled by Astroman (4.5 hours, since you ask) are a source of considerable and continuing satisfaction!

Paul B

• forum hero
#67 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 21, 2016, 02:56:11 pm
Does burning a strong visitor to you own board count? in which case I burnt Vickers off on several pinch problems, tides were turned when he tried my crimpier problems tho.

No, burning someone off on your own board is a bit of a hollow victory. However, that session where I burnt you off on your pinch problems felt very sweet.

dave

#68 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 21, 2016, 03:04:01 pm
Hey I've just remembered relatively recently I did brad pit but the erstwhile plantation showpony couldn't do it. Saying that out loud now I can scarcely believe it happened. Surely that must be worth something.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#69 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 21, 2016, 03:25:27 pm
I've not done it since I fractured my left ankle last December. Thankfully I have video footage of the session previous.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#70 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 21, 2016, 03:41:13 pm
Your very own Freudian Rorschach's Test there Slackers. Anyway back to business DT.

Lardy's Layaway anyone?  You know who you are Martin Veale, John Allen and the incomparable DT 90  :lol: :lol:

Thanks. John. I. Didn't. Need. Reminding.  >:(  :boxing:  ;D

http://wiki.climbing.ie/index.php/Bullock_Harbour

Bet it's not been repeated or written up of course.

BTW, I woke up, having just backed off of a wobbly phallus like feature at the top of Doris.. seriously, I dream about that stuff  ;)

dave

#71 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 21, 2016, 03:47:13 pm
I've not done it since I fractured my left ankle last December. Thankfully I have video footage of the session previous.

You need to switch to toe-on Hard Grit style.

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#72 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 21, 2016, 06:04:54 pm

No, burning someone off on your own board is a bit of a hollow victory. However, that session where I burnt you off on your pinch problem felt very sweet.

fixed that for you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal