UKBouldering.com

January Eurosport options (Read 8311 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
#25 Re: January Eurosport options
November 11, 2016, 12:00:38 am
Ace, cheers!

Sarnian

• regular
#26 Re: January Eurosport options
November 11, 2016, 12:45:45 pm
I've been in Geyikbayiri (Antalya) the last 2 winters, both of which had an event in Turkey which put people off coming. It felt fine being there, the climbing area is an hour from the city and feels very safe.

Paul B

• forum hero
#27 Re: January Eurosport options
November 11, 2016, 04:00:06 pm
Give Ste Dunning a nudge as I believe he had flights booked for Greece. It was also featured in a "5 of the Best Crags You've Never Heard Of" type clickbait articles circulating FB recently.

Seynes - the climbing is good.

I didn't go to Antalya mainly due to the long wait times/transfers in and around Istanbul and the heightened threat of terror against such places as airports. It wasn't being at the climbing that I was worrying about (see other thread). I was also going to opt for one of the all-inclusive type options (again, Ste pointed me at these) but this also didn't seem too wise given the climate (even if the risk is low).

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#28 Re: January Eurosport options
November 14, 2016, 12:21:10 pm
Always interested in this topic; any more thoughts on Greece? Had a week of ideal weather in Athens in late November on a recent non-climbing holiday. Lots of cool things to do on rest days too.

Climbing around Athens, en route from London to Turkey by train and boat. Which would avoid Ankara airport...

Tenerife!!

4.5 hour flight, but you're near guaranteed good conditions...

Almost certain to be pleasant temps. and dry; not sure if there is enough hard stuff for shark's team.

Sicily looked pretty amazing but it was pretty bad weather whilst we were there (March last year) and everything just seeped. Something to consider as we had to be really selective with our choices - didn't seem like there was much permadry in the sectors we went to.

Am I the only person who things Sicily climbing (Palermo, St Vito areas) is a bit meh? It rained a lot during my one week in February, so perhaps I missed the best spots. It's a great place if you like Mediterranean food and Greek, Roman, Norman, or Baroque architecture and I've had good weather at Christmas on a non-climbing trip.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal