UKBouldering.com

Peak Area Meet & Quiz! Weds 16th November - The Maynard, Grindleford 7.30pm (Read 39900 times)

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
Google Earth Round

27) Which Peak village lies one mile to the south of here?

28) Which Peak Village lies one mile to the north of here?

29) Which Peak crag lies just to the west of here?

user deactivated

Is buttress 5 the Cowper stone?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
24 is less side story at backside. 

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
30) What do the dots on this map of the Peak District represent the locations of? Some are still visible on the high moors.

31) Name the crag. Name the climber.

32) Which is the southernmost E2. Wombat or Fern Hill?

33) In Which Peak village would you find this pub sign?

34) Who recently made the youngest ever ascent of Revelations at Raven Tor?

35)  Who in 1995 was photographed on a route they had first ascended 49 years previously. And what was the route? Half point for each

36)  Match the five routes with their respective first ascentionists. A point for each

1.  Buddha Mouth Snake Mind
2.  I Didn’t Get Where I Am Today
3.  Why Kill Time When You Can Kill a Friend?
4.  I’m Pink Therefore I’m Ham
5.  The Long and Winding Chode

A. Nick Dixon
B. Keith Ashton
C. Johnny Dawes
D. Paul Mitchell
E. Ben Tetler

37) Which three of the following dales will you NOT find on the White Peak OS map (1 point per correct answer) – Silly Dale, Knowing Dale, Cunning Dale, Hand Dale, Foot Dale, Calf Dale, Wensley Dale?

38) Which route’s first ascentionist was spurred on by concerns he was ‘becoming a bit of an old fart at twenty-eight’?

39) Who became only the second Englishman to burn off Alexander Megos on Sunday by winning the Battle of Britain bouldering comp in Manchester?

40) Which one of the following will you not find fossilised in Peak limestone – trilobites, shark’s teeth, ammonites, brachiopods, crinoids, or corals?

41) Put these Peak tors in age order, oldest to youngest – Mam Tor, High Tor, Beeston Tor, Cratcliff Tor

42) Three for the crow #1 - If a crow was travelling from Sheffield to Leek, at which hotel would it take its half way rest?

43) Three for the crow #2 - If a crow was travelling from Stockport to Bakewell, on which gritstone crag would it take its halfway rest?

44)  Three for the crow #3 - If a crow was travelling from Ashbourne to the Trafford Centre, on which distinctive hill would it take its halfway rest?

45) Who said of his preparations for a truly epic day on the grit in June this year: “The plan was to eat my own body weight in sugar and scotch eggs…”?

tomtom

• forum hero

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
30) What do the dots on this map of the Peak District represent the locations of? Some are still visible on the high moors.

Are they standing stones? Or stone circles?

31) Name the crag. Name the climber.

Jon Fullwood?

Surely Fern Hill?

Was it that Jim Pope kid?

35)  Who in 1995 was photographed on a route they had first ascended 49 years previously. And what was the route? Half point for each

I want to say Joe Brown on Right Unconquerable but I think that's wrong.

39) Who became only the second Englishman to burn off Alexander Megos on Sunday by winning the Battle of Britain bouldering comp in Manchester?

Dave Barrans?

40) Which one of the following will you not find fossilised in Peak limestone – trilobites, shark’s teeth, ammonites, brachiopods, crinoids, or corals?

Corals?

45) Who said of his preparations for a truly epic day on the grit in June this year: “The plan was to eat my own body weight in sugar and scotch eggs…”?

Pete Bridgwad (spelling error intentional)

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads

mark20

• junky

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Toby Roberts at 11 years old.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero

36chambers

• forum hero

andy_e

• forum hero
46 all points of contact

Johnny Brown

• forum hero

Whilst I second-guessed this last night, I was unable to convince my team. I do hope though, it was verified with on-site GPS; I would personally be wary of trusting the National Grid at this level of precision due to discrepancies between true latitude and the mercator-projected grid.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

Whilst I second-guessed this last night, I was unable to convince my team. I do hope though, it was verified with on-site GPS; I would personally be wary of trusting the National Grid at this level of precision due to discrepancies between true latitude and the mercator-projected grid.

Reading this I've just checked on Google Maps and there's very little in it! Fern Hill is traversing south too  :worms:

Duncan campbell

• junky
Flipping great quiz some great moments between Rob Greenwood and I where we both looked at each other and said "yep"  :2thumbsup:

Think with a few more people in our team we'd have stood a better chance think there was 5(?) of us in ours though one bloke was fucking useless. The two hill walkers were fairly useful as well. Was glad I got moved from the winning team as it meant I got to have an input in the team.

Good skills quiz masters!!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
5)  VS 5a   V8   E3 5c      E6 7a    ***   E4 6b ***   E6 7a *   E6 6c   E3 6a **   E4 6b**   V8   V3

Can anyone get this one? I was racking my brains to think of a three star E6 7a next door to a three star E4 6b and gave up. In trying to cheat to put myself out of my misery I looked on the Grit List and couldn't really find anything that fit.

Duncan campbell

• junky
I got that one last night easy Will!

dave

As an aside, I believe Ben Bransby and Mike Cheque 1 2, both of this parish, have/were volunteered to run next year's quiz. So best start brushing up your knowledge of E9s, Black Rocks and seacliffs.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Bransby bottled it, luckily Shark was passing and before he knew it had volunteered.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Bransby bottled it, luckily Shark was passing and before he knew it had volunteered.

:slap:

Stabbsy

• junky
33. Quiet Woman in Earl Sterndale?

35. Peter Harding on Suicide Wall?

43. Windgather?

44. Shutlingsloe?

SamT

• forum hero

Air craft wrecks?

Wombat (just?)

33) In Which Peak village would you find this pub sign?

Earl Sterndale (quiet woman)

mark20

• junky
5)  VS 5a   V8   E3 5c      E6 7a    ***   E4 6b ***   E6 7a *   E6 6c   E3 6a **   E4 6b**   V8   V3

Can anyone get this one? I was racking my brains to think of a three star E6 7a next door to a three star E4 6b and gave up. In trying to cheat to put myself out of my misery I looked on the Grit List and couldn't really find anything that fit.
Because the E6 7a gets E7 6c on the gritlist! Took me ages to figure it out too

Stabbsy

• junky
29. Looks like the road under Mam Tor, so is the answer Mam Tor?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal