UKBouldering.com

U-S-A! The American Politics Thread. (Read 499903 times)

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1625 Re: Trump
August 02, 2020, 10:59:16 am
One concern is that the current spike in covid cases in the UK/EU, Hong Kong, Japan etc turn into second waves. All of a sudden, Trump's management of covid won't look as bad as it once did.

andy popp

• forum hero
#1626 Re: Trump
August 02, 2020, 12:19:05 pm
One concern is that the current spike in covid cases in the UK/EU, Hong Kong, Japan etc turn into second waves. All of a sudden, Trump's management of covid won't look as bad as it once did.

You're assuming that a significant number of American voters are interested in and understand what is happening in other countries. Of course, there are millions of Americans who are well travelled and internationally oriented, but there are also many millions with very little knowledge of the wider world. Patriotism and belief in American exceptionalism are very strong and for many Americans it is practically inconceivable that another country might actually be better at anything.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#1627 Re: Trump
August 02, 2020, 02:57:47 pm
[...] but there are also many millions with very little knowledge of the wider world. Patriotism and belief in American exceptionalism are very strong and for many Americans it is practically inconceivable that another country might actually be better at anything.

Alas, I have found this to be true in every single country I have spent significant time in (except Norway, they magnanimously  admit that the roads might be straighter and wider in Sweden).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1628 Re: Trump
August 02, 2020, 04:25:39 pm
[...] but there are also many millions with very little knowledge of the wider world. Patriotism and belief in American exceptionalism are very strong and for many Americans it is practically inconceivable that another country might actually be better at anything.

Alas, I have found this to be true in every single country I have spent significant time in (except Norway, they magnanimously  admit that the roads might be straighter and wider in Sweden).

Noted:
*Might*

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1629 Re: Trump
August 02, 2020, 10:29:09 pm

I'd agree apart from the African countries I've been in for a while: Morocco, Namibia and Kenya. Fairly self depreciating as far as I remember.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1630 Re: Trump
August 05, 2020, 10:31:16 pm
Unless he really knows more than anyone else is letting on, Trump's remarks about Beirut are insanely, unforgivably stupid. Sadly it won't harm his election chances one bit.

Bidens comments about Trump not doing his job seem as though they might make a difference. The number of days trump has spent playing golf recently are frankly disgusting. I wonder if anyone who matters is listening though.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth

TobyD

• forum hero
#1632 Re: Trump
August 07, 2020, 10:16:11 pm
I'm hardly guilty of constant 'link bombing' with no obvious context or of failing to debate.

Just saying.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#1633 Re: Trump
August 08, 2020, 09:03:43 am
I partly posted it for you Toby...as a light-hearted nudge, now it's clear we agree on Trump (the odds are he won't win but there is still a significant chance he might and he shouldn't be underestimated)  I thought it was quite funny that the legal defence will eat the little money the NRA have left after their leaders squandered funds and may lead to them no longer existing as the NRA (a new association with similar aims is sure to form if they are wound up). The NRA put 30 million into the last Trump campaign. The members won't automatically trust a leadership with clear public evidence for significant charges of corruption. I certainly didn't expect you to be missing the double relevance.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1634 Re: Trump
August 08, 2020, 09:25:21 am
I partly posted it for you Toby...as a light-hearted nudge, now it's clear we agree on Trump (the odds are he won't win but there is still a significant chance he might and he shouldn't be underestimated)  I thought it was quite funny that the legal defence will eat the little money the NRA have left after their leaders squandered funds and may lead to them no longer existing as the NRA (a new association with similar aims is sure to form if they are wound up). The NRA put 30 million into the last Trump campaign. The members won't automatically trust a leadership with clear public evidence for significant charges of corruption. I certainly didn't expect you to be missing the double relevance.

First, its really good to actually get proper posts and not just flipping links with little or no comment,  you're not the only one by any means, but I did wonder about the intention behind this one!
Two points there; in reply i don't agree that Trump is unlikely to win. That may well be what the polls say, and that may well be what a bookie would say, but Trump has behaved more like a mafia boss than a president and I fully expect him to find a way to remain in office, whatever that is.

The second is about clear charges of corruption; I totally disagree here, corrupt is now meaningless when the president is clearly corrupt, he calls Democrats corrupt about ten times a day, and anyone else who seems to get in his way.

I honestly think that Trump seems to have poisoned the public discourse to the extent the almost any extent of venality becomes admissible.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1635 Re: Trump
August 08, 2020, 10:27:30 am
Interesting viewpoint on Skynews site this morning about foreign interference in the election.

Apparently, the Kremlin want Trump to stay on in power so are busy discrediting Biden, whereas China and Iran desperately want Trump out and are working hard to get rid of him...

This raises the (amusing? Almost...) spectre of two superpowers trying to decide the fate of another superpower via social media manipulation... Do they ultimately cancel each other out?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1636 Re: Trump
August 08, 2020, 10:45:05 am
Interesting viewpoint on Skynews site this morning about foreign interference in the election.

Apparently, the Kremlin want Trump to stay on in power so are busy discrediting Biden, whereas China and Iran desperately want Trump out and are working hard to get rid of him...

This raises the (amusing? Almost...) spectre of two superpowers trying to decide the fate of another superpower via social media manipulation... Do they ultimately cancel each other out?

Oh how the tables have turned...

Who’da thunk it, enormously wealthy and powerful “Superpowers” meddling in the democratic processes of a politically and socially unstable (but strategically important) nation...

tomtom

• forum hero
#1637 Re: Trump
August 08, 2020, 10:57:34 am
I think it’s fascinating. Previous interference seems to have been to destabilise the USA (and still is from Russia’s POV) but clearly this level of cluster fuck of an administration is too much for China!

“Vladimir- we didn’t think it would be THIS bad...”

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1638 Re: Trump
August 08, 2020, 12:27:51 pm
China and Iran desperately want Trump out and are working hard to get rid of him...

If this references Evanina’s report, not sure it represents its findings accurately.. Russian evidence of covert meddling is pretty plentiful, China evidence is what, beyobd public uttterances?

Edit- spelling Evanina
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:38:58 pm by mrjonathanr »

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#1639 Re: Trump
August 08, 2020, 01:00:46 pm

First, its really good to actually get proper posts and not just flipping links with little or no comment,  you're not the only one by any means, but I did wonder about the intention behind this one!
Two points there; in reply i don't agree that Trump is unlikely to win. That may well be what the polls say, and that may well be what a bookie would say, but Trump has behaved more like a mafia boss than a president and I fully expect him to find a way to remain in office, whatever that is.

The second is about clear charges of corruption; I totally disagree here, corrupt is now meaningless when the president is clearly corrupt, he calls Democrats corrupt about ten times a day, and anyone else who seems to get in his way.

I honestly think that Trump seems to have poisoned the public discourse to the extent the almost any extent of venality becomes admissible.

The odd are from the bookies. This isn't an accusation it's a legal move on evidence from a state DA where the company is resident.  Despite your cynical views, the law still seems to be working there (despite the Trump appointments giving a conservative supreme court majority, even they are now delivering him the odd defeat).

TobyD

• forum hero
#1640 Re: Trump
August 08, 2020, 11:12:10 pm

The odd are from the bookies. This isn't an accusation it's a legal move on evidence from a state DA where the company is resident.  Despite your cynical views, the law still seems to be working there (despite the Trump appointments giving a conservative supreme court majority, even they are now delivering him the odd defeat).

If it's a legal move from a DA then they stand accused of corruption, surely? Therefore it is an accusation.

The supreme court doesn't rule on the vast majority of the law, you're confusing politics and everyday legal proceedings here, unless I am very much mistaken.

It's well worth listening to the Americast podcast, they've interviewed several Trump campaign officials or campaigners all of whom sound extremely confident that they're going to win easily (it's worth noting that so have the democratic ones, but given polling they have good reason to). I'm suspicious that the Trump campaign has something more up its sleeve.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#1641 Re: Trump
August 09, 2020, 09:13:30 am
Trump aides predicting an easy win.... must be so then.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1642 Re: Trump
August 11, 2020, 06:46:27 am
His latest train wreck speech is being widely reported.
Most media outlets are pointing out his confusion.

It has also been picked up and reported by the US “Military Times” (which, as I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, is not exactly a “Liberal” publication).

Perfectly balanced report, merely detailing and correcting the inaccuracies.

Mostly.

Read the last couple of lines:

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2020/08/10/trump-says-1918-flu-pandemic-probably-ended-the-second-world-war-which-ended-in-1945/?utm_campaign=Socialflow+MIL&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

TobyD

• forum hero
#1643 Re: Trump
August 11, 2020, 10:36:10 pm
His latest train wreck speech is being widely reported.
Most media outlets are pointing out his confusion.

It has also been picked up and reported by the US “Military Times” (which, as I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, is not exactly a “Liberal” publication).

Perfectly balanced report, merely detailing and correcting the inaccuracies.

Mostly.

Read the last couple of lines:

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2020/08/10/trump-says-1918-flu-pandemic-probably-ended-the-second-world-war-which-ended-in-1945/?utm_campaign=Socialflow+MIL&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

Jeepers, the man's crass stupidity and ignorance knows no bounds. To keep making mistakes like this as he does, it's either a deliberate tactic, of he always thinks that he knows better than whoever writes his speeches and thinks he'll do some improvisation to impress people. There's no way anyone writing a speech can be this thick, it's virtually primary school history. Sadly this will make precisely no difference to the election.

I wonder what anyone (particularly Andy and anyone else who lives there) thinks of Biden's selection of Kamala Harris, and how it'll influence the voting.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#1644 Re: Trump
August 11, 2020, 10:49:19 pm
Deleted as pointless post!

andy popp

• forum hero
#1645 Re: Trump
August 12, 2020, 06:57:21 am
I wonder what anyone (particularly Andy and anyone else who lives there) thinks of Biden's selection of Kamala Harris, and how it'll influence the voting.

I thought this would (and should) be the choice he'd make - she seemed like the most viable candidate at this point. She's qualified, articulate and sharp (see some of her performances in Senate hearings), and tough - she won't be intimidated by Trump (his reaction has already shown he doesn't have a clear line of attack on her) and should eviscerate Pence in a debate. She will animate and excite important elements of the Democrats' electorate and won't scare moderates. She seems personable. Sure, the very progressive don't like her and I've seen a couple negative reactions on social media from friends (as well as positive ones), but if you were already prepared to vote for Biden, however grudgingly, then this won't change your mind. Overwhelmingly, people I know on the left understand the importance of this election. She's already had a very strong endorsement from Shaun King, a prominent racial/criminal justice activist, which is encouraging. It would have been good if he could have picked someone from a swing state but that option wasn't really available and at least her Senate seat should be an easy hold for the Dems.

Overall, I think she will solidify Biden's position. I don't see a better choice.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:09:42 am by andy popp »

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#1646 Re: Trump
August 12, 2020, 07:55:51 am
I wonder if there's an element of choosing Kamala Harris to bait Trump? One of the most persistent Trump traits has been unpleasantness to black / latina  women in positions of authority - often going beyond the political into personal attacks. 

Choosing Kamala almost guarantees lots of headlines of Trump making crass, dog-whistling, misogynist, racist remarks  - perhaps a "give him enough rope" strategy.  Mind you, making racist remarks will probably cement his popularity with a decent number of voters and not cost him any black votes (last I saw, his approval rating was only 11% with black voters anyway) - although, being misogynist might cost him women's votes.

andy popp

• forum hero
#1647 Re: Trump
August 12, 2020, 08:12:36 am
I doubt it's a deliberate strategy, though it might be an unintended consequence. Biden committed to picking a woman months ago and though he never publicly committed to picking a person of colour that had come to be pretty much inevitable over the summer. Once those criteria were in place she was the strongest candidate by far (IMO). It's worth noting Biden has said he is a transitional figure. Harris is now in effect the Democratic candidate for President in 2024 if Biden wins this year.

Trump has actually never gone after her that strongly given her prominence and his response so far has been lame; she's a crazy "leftist" and a "nasty" woman. That seems to be all he has.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:20:55 am by andy popp »

andy popp

• forum hero
#1648 Re: Trump
August 12, 2020, 08:37:08 am
In other news, a full blown QAnon conspiracy theorist (and raving racist) won a primary for a safe Republican house seat in Georgia last night: this lunatic will almost certainly be in Congress in November - I think large swathes of even the GOP are dismayed at the prospect.

On the Dem side, Rep Ilhan Omar easily saw off a challenge in her primary last night, as did Rashida Tlaib recently, and last week Cori Bush, a BLM activist, unseated a deeply entrenched incumbent in St Louis. There is every sign of the House becoming more progressive in November.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1649 Re: Trump
August 12, 2020, 10:54:33 pm

I thought this would (and should) be the choice he'd make - she seemed like the most viable candidate at this point. She's qualified, articulate and sharp (see some of her performances in Senate hearings), and tough - she won't be intimidated by Trump (his reaction has already shown he doesn't have a clear line of attack on her) and should eviscerate Pence in a debate. She will animate and excite important elements of the Democrats' electorate and won't scare moderates. She seems personable. Sure, the very progressive don't like her and I've seen a couple negative reactions on social media from friends (as well as positive ones), but if you were already prepared to vote for Biden, however grudgingly, then this won't change your mind. Overwhelmingly, people I know on the left understand the importance of this election. She's already had a very strong endorsement from Shaun King, a prominent racial/criminal justice activist, which is encouraging. It would have been good if he could have picked someone from a swing state but that option wasn't really available and at least her Senate seat should be an easy hold for the Dems.

Overall, I think she will solidify Biden's position. I don't see a better choice.

Thanks Andy. That was pretty much what I thought, I saw that one of Trump's initial attacks on her was that she is strong on law and order, which as the reporter observed, is rather bizarre as that's more likely to endear her to wavering Republican voters, which are the ones that Biden, and Kamala Harris need.

Moose, I don't think it matters at this stage about Trump being a misogynist or a racist, anyone who doesn't vote for him is unlikely to start now unless they like these things and Trump voters have already priced these things into their Faustian deal. Remember that he was recorded bragging about grabbing women by the pussy and this was played endlessly at the last election, to which it probably made little difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal