UKBouldering.com

U-S-A! The American Politics Thread. (Read 499886 times)

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

tomtom

• forum hero
#902 Re: Trump
November 10, 2018, 06:42:07 pm
😂

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#903 Re: Trump
November 10, 2018, 11:21:08 pm

Though you could argue that skews things towards cities.

Ummm... Good?

I think it’s fairer on balance - but the rural/urban argument is more nuanced than just population.

Rural areas typically suffer from poorer facilities/spending/whogivesafuckaboutthem etc.. per head because they are more spread out. Less economic for services etc... not coming down on either side - just saying.

Whatever the niceties the fact that a vote in Wyoming is effectively 67 times more powerful than a Californian vote cannot be couched as a legitimate democracy

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#904 Re: Trump
November 11, 2018, 11:25:27 am
Its the US ... its gun rated equality. California clearly needs more gang members not more people to improve the ratio.

andy popp

• forum hero
#905 Re: Trump
November 13, 2018, 01:30:15 am
Armed black security guard apprehends shooting suspect. Police arrive and shoot black security dead. More guns really solved that problem:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/11/jemel-roberson-security-guard-killed-illinois.html?fbclid=IwAR3XhRVOsSdtxPJ4UDlcZ2Q-ebZYmhPJ5JpWGTOTk8O7IF9xecP9eUuWxTE

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#906 Re: Trump
November 14, 2018, 10:29:57 pm

TobyD

• forum hero
#907 Re: Trump
November 20, 2018, 08:39:48 am
Trump ready to begin drawdown of troops at US-Mexico border

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/19/trump-ready-to-begin-drawdown-of-troops-at-us-mexico-border?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

This is really worrying. Trump is employing every classic technique of an autocratic regime to erode democracy. Also see the Jim Acosta incident.

andy popp

• forum hero
#908 Re: Trump
November 20, 2018, 01:56:16 pm
Yes, it was just a stunt, as was obvious all along.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#909 Re: Trump
November 20, 2018, 02:48:39 pm

What was that movie, where they invented a war to distract from a presidential scandal? Hoffman was the PR guru, I think.
(I remember someone claining that movie was the genesis of the whole “Crisis actor” mythology).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#910 Re: Trump
November 20, 2018, 02:54:07 pm
Wag the Dog

tomtom

• forum hero
#911 Re: Trump
November 20, 2018, 03:32:16 pm

What was that movie, where they invented a war to distract from a presidential scandal? Hoffman was the PR guru, I think.
(I remember someone claining that movie was the genesis of the whole “Crisis actor” mythology).

And house of cards season 5

tomtom

• forum hero

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#913 Re: Trump
November 20, 2018, 04:56:55 pm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

This was the point I was trying to make to Will, on the other thread. The Liberal penchant for trying to see the other point of view, that leads to a false equivalency. Climate science, Flat earth, vaccines, the “Alt Right”, Brexit....  :ang:

TobyD

• forum hero
#914 Re: Trump
November 25, 2018, 10:23:10 am
A gold-dust quote from a Gary Young article in the Guardian the other day:

Or as George Clooney put it about Trump: “I grew up in Kentucky. I sold insurance door to door. I sold ladies’ shoes. I worked at an all-night liquor store. I would buy suits that were too big and too long and cut the bottom of the pants off to make ties so I’d have a tie to go on job interviews. The idea that I’m somehow the ‘Hollywood elite’ and this guy who takes a shit in a gold toilet is somehow the man of the people is laughable.”

TobyD

• forum hero
#915 Re: Trump
December 01, 2018, 10:11:20 am
"I don't like him. I don't know much about him, but I know he's a blowhard. And I'm not too excited about him being a leader,"  George Bush Sr

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#916 Re: Trump
December 01, 2018, 12:09:30 pm

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#917 Re: Trump
December 01, 2018, 10:59:17 pm
If Trump goes to prison, will it be his first, ever, complete sentence?

TobyD

• forum hero
#918 Re: Trump
December 01, 2018, 11:25:43 pm

:lol: is that your gag or was that pinched? If someone could just steal his phone to stop him posting on Twitter it'd be a start. If Trump went to prison it'd be satisfying enough for me to almost not mind about Brexit.

andy popp

• forum hero
#919 Re: Trump
December 01, 2018, 11:38:11 pm
If someone could just steal his phone to stop him posting on Twitter it'd be a start.

We're relying on his Twitter feed for the self-incrimination.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#920 Re: Trump
December 02, 2018, 12:13:19 am

:lol: is that your gag or was that pinched? If someone could just steal his phone to stop him posting on Twitter it'd be a start. If Trump went to prison it'd be satisfying enough for me to almost not mind about Brexit.

Definitely nicked. Unfortunately, I read it in passing and couldn’t find the tweet when I scrolled back. Still, too good to not share.

WilliCrater

#921 Re: Trump
December 02, 2018, 04:49:58 am

Not if he gets parole (or pardoned).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

Mugabe251

• blockedImageProfile
  • regular
#923 Re: Trump
December 07, 2018, 02:08:21 pm
"I don't like him. I don't know much about him, but I know he's a blowhard. And I'm not too excited about him being a leader,"  George Bush Sr

Asking this just out of curiosity, but why does something that George Bush Sr says carry any weight to you? It's just a phenomenon that's quite funny, how American democrats and liberal-minded British people are happy to dogpile onto Trump alongside powerful Republicans (namely Bush Jr and Sr) who were responsible for some quite nasty goings-on in Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan that killed a good few hundred thousand people

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#924 Re: Trump
December 07, 2018, 03:06:27 pm

Asking this just out of curiosity, but why does something that George Bush Sr says carry any weight to you? It's just a phenomenon that's quite funny, how American democrats and liberal-minded British people are happy to dogpile onto Trump alongside powerful Republicans (namely Bush Jr and Sr) who were responsible for some quite nasty goings-on in Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan that killed a good few hundred thousand people

Were they?

B Jnr wasn’t the sharpest tool and certainly played into the hands of the hawks, lusting for blood after that little incident in 2001.
But, remind me, what did Bush Snr do in Kuwait? Iraq? Afgan?

I mean, I saw the results of some unpleasant crap, carried out by the Iraqis, in Kuwait, during their occupation of it and heard some awful witness accounts from others that arrived before I did (Fighting was done, a few days earlier, when I got there).
During Desert Shield, I was in Turkey, counting heads, as the Kurdish refugees came in. I didn’t speak to any directly, but drank copiously with some of the Red Crecent guys and listened to their tales, secondhand. (Bearing in mind, drinking was Haram for most of those guys, but the shit they heard/dealt with was enough to waive that Surah for a while).

You often seem to present a very one dimensional view of the world. Granted I do too, sometimes, but thats usually just because I’m debating Pete (or someone) and don’t want to admit I half agree with him.

Your going to say something about it all “not being about the people” but all about the “Oil” or “Business interests” aren’t you?

Duh!

War and violence suck. Even bumping up against the edges, as I did, is deeply scaring and sickening, with knobs on.

But, everyone else (because Mr Mugabe won’t), close your eyes and, for a few moments, imagine the oil stops flowing...

Did you see it?

Almost every aspect of our lives ground to a halt.

Our societies couldn’t cope, they’d collapse.

We’re like a junky, without even the prospect of surviving cold turkey, more like a Vampire without blood.

PS: I don’t for one second, think this is a “good” thing. If we can’t end our fossil fuel dependence pronto, we’re dead anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal