UKBouldering.com

U-S-A! The American Politics Thread. (Read 499867 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#751 Re: Trump
September 28, 2018, 09:56:37 pm

andy popp

• forum hero
#752 Re: Trump
September 29, 2018, 12:32:54 am
The last few days have been incredibly painful. Like all of the men on here - and I guarantee all - many of my female friends, some of them very close to me, have suffered sexual violence in their lives. For them this spectacle has been deeply traumatic. It is a deliberate, hyper-aggressive assertion of white patriarchy. It is meant to demean women and to put them back in their place. It is so flagrant and toxic. Every part of it is finely tuned to achieve those ends. It is abhorrent and it will likely succeed.

tomtom

• forum hero
#753 Re: Trump
September 29, 2018, 08:42:23 am
It’s truly horrible to watch from on far Andy - and being in the thick of all that must be even worse. I watched fords compelling testimony - and had to switch off after a bit of K’s it was too much of the angry white man bile.

There was an editorial I read that said that hearing summed up in many ways what is wrong and how polarised the states is.

Politic here is also polarised and crazy but doesn’t seem to have the angry, white, patriarchal overtones ( kt as much anyway) as in the US at the moment. Both have racist / isolationist views though.... (not my most eloquent post sorry... small child running around etc..)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#754 Re: Trump
September 29, 2018, 09:49:14 am
We are beyond eloquence and detailed analysis merely reinforces the irrational anger of this cabal.
The very terms “rational” or “logical” are enough to spur them to even greater histrionics that serves to drown out any protest or resistance. Resistance that, regardless of how calmly stated or rooted in fact, is loudly branded “whining” and those who resist “Snowflakes”.

All seems rather hopeless.
Let them eat their cake.
It might be the only way they’ll learn.

andy popp

• forum hero
#756 Re: Trump
September 29, 2018, 06:26:44 pm
Politic here is also polarised and crazy but doesn’t seem to have the angry, white, patriarchal overtones.

Thanks Tom, Matt, Ben and others. Yes, its grim, grim, grim, depressing and frightening.

ps. apologies to any FB friends for last night's profanity laden post. I'm sick of it.  >:(

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#758 Re: Trump
October 01, 2018, 04:57:22 pm
It is a small thing, but plenty of people do recognise what is happening; the legacy of this cabal is more likely to be a stain on history, than some new Neo-Con revolution:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/matilda-roald-dahl-trump-30-years-buckinghamshire-childrens-book-a8562821.html?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1538400140

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#759 Re: Trump
October 01, 2018, 11:54:09 pm
Trump leaves Rose Garden listeners punch-drunk … even without alcohol

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/01/trump-nafta-usmca-speech-rose-garden-reporter-attack?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#760 Re: Trump
October 03, 2018, 10:23:35 pm

Mugabe251

• blockedImageProfile
  • regular
#761 Re: Trump
October 04, 2018, 08:20:17 pm
It is a small thing, but plenty of people do recognise what is happening; the legacy of this cabal is more likely to be a stain on history, than some new Neo-Con revolution:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/matilda-roald-dahl-trump-30-years-buckinghamshire-childrens-book-a8562821.html?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1538400140

Thought I heard the sound of someone doing some wet farts, but as it turns out, it's just you blathering on about your political convictions again  ;)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#762 Re: Trump
October 04, 2018, 08:24:26 pm
That's uncivil.

webbo

• forum hero
#763 Re: Trump
October 04, 2018, 08:39:41 pm

Thought I heard the sound of someone doing some wet farts, but as it turns out, it's just you blathering on about your political convictions again  ;)
No it’s you being a knob. Just in case you are not aware in the UK a Trump is another name for a fart.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#764 Re: Trump
October 04, 2018, 08:59:00 pm

That just about rounds out your personal discription of your own intellect, doesn’t it.
Pretty sure my dog curled down something more politically astute than you earlier. She’d eaten a half kilo of carrots, but I think it was still more solid than your logic.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#765 Re: Trump
October 12, 2018, 11:21:58 am

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#766 Re: Trump
October 12, 2018, 12:30:42 pm
What the actual fuck!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=A5UvELIBFcg

Actually, it’s so bloody disheartening, to see mental illness cast in this light.
The man needs help, not parading around as a freak show act.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#767 Re: Trump
October 12, 2018, 12:48:37 pm
How do you know he has a mental health problem and isn't just a dickhead?

If it's because he's giving out a stream of consciousness which sounds perplexing to a bystander, I don't think anybody has ever said we shouldn't be putting a microphone in front of Johnny Dawes.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#768 Re: Trump
October 12, 2018, 01:17:28 pm
Someone must have said that at some point?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#769 Re: Trump
October 12, 2018, 01:21:07 pm
I had assumed with Kanye that he’d just had so much smoke blown up his ass, he thinks everything that pops into his head is some sort of profound revelation.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#770 Re: Trump
October 12, 2018, 01:22:07 pm

If it's because he's giving out a stream of consciousness which sounds perplexing to a bystander, I don't think anybody has ever said we shouldn't be putting a microphone in front of Johnny Dawes.

I’m quite open to the possibility that he is both ill and a dickhead.
But, he has been moderately candid in regards to his mental health:
https://news.sky.com/story/kanye-west-reveals-mental-condition-11395000

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#771 Re: Trump
October 12, 2018, 01:24:12 pm

In the summer he said that he'd been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He's always been a dickhead (pretty much standard for a celebrity musician of course) but since his Mum died at the end of 2007 he's clearly been on the slide mentally.

I used to love Kanye West's music but now I find the very thought of him utterly depressing. He's emblematic of so much of what I feel has changed for the worse in the last 15 years- the regression of hip-hop as a musical form, the rise of style over substance in popular art in general, the creedence given to popular figures who demonstrably have no idea of what they're talking about, the rise of opiod abuse and even, incredibly, the acceptance of extreme-right political ideas in political discourse. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:32:31 pm by cheque »

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#772 Re: Trump
October 12, 2018, 01:48:00 pm
Ah right, I'd assumed it was all assumption.

tomtom

• forum hero
#773 Re: Trump
October 12, 2018, 02:04:51 pm
Ah right, I'd assumed it was all assumption.

I start one of my lectures with a Steven segal quote from ‘under seige’. The one where he’s the ninja cook and the lass from bay watch jumps out of a cake topless (well that’s what I remember it for anyway).

Anyway - he quite profoundly states “assumption is the mother of all fuck ups”.

andy popp

• forum hero
#774 Re: Trump
October 12, 2018, 02:33:13 pm
Ceteris paribus.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal