UKBouldering.com

U-S-A! The American Politics Thread. (Read 499834 times)

petejh

• forum hero
U-S-A! The American Politics Thread.
November 05, 2016, 10:31:38 pm
In case anyone hasn't heard the 'You've Been Trumped Too' documentary is available to watch on facebook here: -

https://www.facebook.com/youvebeentrumpedtoo/videos/1207455525956400/

There's a 15 minutes interview with the director at the beginning. The film itself starts around 18 mins.

:worms:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 06:24:32 pm by duncan »

andy popp

• forum hero
#1 Re: Trump
November 06, 2016, 06:06:11 pm
I have a ringside seat at this election and it is very, very ugly. Everyone here is on edge and I think people are fearful about both what might happen on Tuesday itself and in the aftermath, whatever the result. I can't wait for it to be over (not that it will be over).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2 Re: Trump
November 06, 2016, 10:20:50 pm
They've just announced the FBI's retraction of allegations against HRC, here, this Sunday evening. Pretty scary that they seem to be doing Trumps bidding. He has his Gestapo all ready and Comey is playing Himmler.
Anschluss of Canada by 2018?

"Sound of music" this is not.

Mind you, here we have:

So the right is rising across the Western world.

Melodramatic? Possibly, but if I'd written the same things in 1935/36ish, you'd have said the same.

Edit:

That photo contrasts a 1933(ish) headline in Hitlers pet paper, a Daily Fail piece from the same period and last weeks headlines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dave

#3 Re: Trump
November 07, 2016, 07:32:00 am
They've just announced the FBI's retraction of allegations against HRC, here, this Sunday evening. Pretty scary that they seem to be doing Trumps bidding. He has his Gestapo all ready and Comey is playing Himmler.

And lets not forget in the week while that "scandal" was live a lot of the early voting was going on.

Bookies are still giving it to H-dawg comfortably.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#4 Re: Trump
November 07, 2016, 08:47:57 am

I may be being excessively paranoid but don't forget the bookies all called Brexit (and to a certain extent the UK General Election 2016) wrong as well.

Trump still available in and around 4/1 if you're looking for an emotional hedge bet.

dave

#5 Re: Trump
November 07, 2016, 08:58:28 am

I may be being excessively paranoid but don't forget the bookies all called Brexit (and to a certain extent the UK General Election 2016) wrong as well.

Don't remind me.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6 Re: Trump
November 07, 2016, 10:15:41 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy popp

• forum hero
#7 Re: Trump
November 07, 2016, 02:08:28 pm

Don't remind me.

This thought haunts me pretty much constantly.

This whole phenomenon is both deeply disturbing and deeply confusing. I'm living in the 3rd largest city in Pennsylvania. This place has lost a lot of manufacturing jobs in the last thirty years. But it is not a basket case and regeneration is starting to happen. The (largely white) suburbs look like the American dream personified: substantial detached homes, everything neat and orderly, lawns all kept mown etc. Trump yard signs dot these neighbourhoods. These people are not suffering - for the most part they're not the poorly educated blue collar workers left behind by deindustrialization. But they seem to feel oppressed and paranoid. Downtown is overwhelmingly Puerto Rican, a population change that didn't start happening until the 1970s (at that point the place was 99% white) - they will vote Clinton, as will the city as a whole. The rural areas are deeply conservative and Trump signs abound. But again, this is not dirt poor Appalachia, these people have seen no meaningful threat or change to their way of life.

I think Clinton will shade it but I'm counting no chickens. People are seriously on edge. The potential for trouble tomorrow is real and in the aftermath, assuming Trump loses, there is going to be very widespread refusal to acknowledge the outcome. His most committed supporters are absolute zealots. They live in a world in which up is down and black is white.

In the meantime, we're going to take our daughters down to Philadelphia this evening for a rally featuring Hillary and Bill, Obama and Michelle, Bruce Springsteen and Jon Bon Jovi! Here's hoping for an historic day tomorrow.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#8 Re: Trump
November 07, 2016, 03:12:44 pm
Hate the guy but I think 4/1 is value considering 538 are giving him a much better chance (approx half those odds) of the win.

Many, many undecideds, general rightwards sentiment trending worldwide, Republican party experience in getting the win at all costs (Florida for Dubya anyone?)...think I'll stick a £20 I'd be happy to lose on it.

Will be plenty to be made by those that know what they're doing spread betting the markets as well. Mate of mine made about £3k Brexit night after the slide to a Leave vote became inevitable.

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#9 Re: Trump
November 07, 2016, 04:47:00 pm
listened to this today, seems relevant in a tenuous way
http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-757-sam-quinones

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#10 Re: Trump
November 07, 2016, 04:49:49 pm
It seems as though so many Westerners are deeply troubled by the idea that erstwhile 3rd world countries (read: Colonies) could be drawing level. As if the only thing that made the inequality in the west tolerable, was the knowledge that the lowest strata were still "superior" (please read that with a spitting sound at the end) to those "foreign Johnies" (substitute with racist epithet of choice) and reality is giving that world view a serious dose of laxative.

andy popp

• forum hero
#11 Re: Trump
November 07, 2016, 04:54:26 pm
Republican party experience in getting the win at all costs (Florida for Dubya anyone?).

Except that he has thoroughly alienated much of the Republican party machine and hasn't bothered building his own ground game. Like I said, I live in the third largest city in a state he has to win and he has literally no organization on the ground here. That is not true of the Democrats.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#12 Re: Trump
November 07, 2016, 07:21:22 pm
Trump's voters are richer than Hillary's voter. Always were, always will be.

I've never before invested myself in the outcome of USA's presidential election, and I've always thought that most europeans who do are a bit daft. This time it feels much more important, and whatever the results will turn out to be this election will change the global politics.

E.g. we know that the american world order rest on a wafer-thin 50/50 margin. Europe will probably break away from letting US lead the free world. Japan will almost surely re-arm, as they have surely lost their fate in US's protection against their near threats.

(In France, the presidential election will probably be between Juppé and Le Pen, which Juppé should win handily, or between Sarkozy  and Le Pen which probably—nay, almost surely—will be won by Marine.)

andy popp

• forum hero
#13 Re: Trump
November 08, 2016, 09:09:30 pm
Well, here we go.

Doylo

• forum hero
#14 Re: Trump
November 08, 2016, 09:20:18 pm
At least Dense and PeteJh can't vote for Trump  :lol:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#15 Re: Trump
November 08, 2016, 09:45:30 pm
I thought Dense was Trump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petejh

• forum hero
#16 Re: Trump
November 08, 2016, 09:52:48 pm

Don't tar people with that brush Doylo just becasue they don't follow the majority ukb view on Brexit.

Trump's a fascist sociopathic total cunt and I wish people weren't so easily hoodwinked by that fascist demagogue.

Doylo

• forum hero
#17 Re: Trump
November 08, 2016, 10:16:52 pm

Don't tar people with that brush Doylo just becasue they don't follow the majority ukb view on Brexit.

:P I was being facetious, I didn't think you'd vote Trump. Dense on the other hand....

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#18 Re: Trump
November 08, 2016, 10:17:35 pm
Trump's voters are richer than Hillary's voter. Always were, always will be.

Really? That is quite an odd assertion. Everything else I have read contradicts that.

Alas, a lot of nonsense is written about this. GOP voters have high wages, Democrats low wages.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-mythology-of-trumps-working-class-support/

Better data will be available from exit polls, but I would be shocked if they showed that average salary for GOP voters and Democrats have switched in this election.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#19 Re: Trump
November 08, 2016, 10:30:49 pm
Yes. The median is the best descriptive parameter for wages (I was sloppy above, sorry). This is clear from looking at real income distributions (which are heavily right skewed due to people selling the family-farm, and a fairly big bunch of extraordinarily productive people like Gareth Bale etc).

andy popp

• forum hero
#20 Re: Trump
November 08, 2016, 11:28:30 pm
The (largely white) suburbs look like the American dream personified: substantial detached homes, everything neat and orderly, lawns all kept mown etc. Trump yard signs dot these neighbourhoods.

Driving through Washington state and Oregon en route to Smith last month, we saw no Clinton signs but plenty for Trump. We felt that we couldn't infer anything from that observation - no one seriously thinks Trump has a hope in either state.

No, he's not going to win here either. But there is a serious constituency willing to listen to and support him.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#21 Re: Trump
November 09, 2016, 01:59:24 am
This is looking very bad. It seems HRC not getting the turn out required, I'm calling it for Trump and for once hoping I'm totally wrong. Unbelievable that so many of the poor and dispossessed believe he is going to do something for them when his entire life has been dedicated to to accumulating personal wealth and he has never done anything for anyone. The only silver lining is that I don't believe he is idealogically motivated really and there'll be little change unless he gets a bit trigger happy but he seems more isolationist than most.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#22 Re: Trump
November 09, 2016, 04:22:05 am
Thanks to the youngest mini OMM having a nightmare, I am now awake and also having a nightmare. At least at 04:21 HRC was slightly ahead.

Duma

• forum hero
#23 Re: Trump
November 09, 2016, 04:26:09 am
Oh fuck, please no. Knew I shouldn't have looked

Teaboy

• forum hero
#24 Re: Trump
November 09, 2016, 04:32:17 am
Fuck, they've just projected Florida for Trump - it's all over isn't it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal