UKBouldering.com

Which knee pad? (Read 34537 times)

Sarnian

• regular
Which knee pad?
October 18, 2016, 01:27:59 pm
Hi, I'm looking to replace my mini-send downgrade knee pad that I left at Longridge  :wall:  I have a five-ten one already but my legs are annoyingly short so it doesn't fit properly and I like having a choice of rubber thickness.

Has anyone seen or tried these ones from Bulgaria? http://goclimbing.ida.gd/en/

Is there any other options out there other than the rock and resole ones.

rjtrials

• regular
#1 Re: Which knee pad?
October 20, 2016, 08:46:20 pm
I just got the new Send pad, the Strap-On Slim which is a HUGE upgrade from the downgrader. 

Having used many kneepads over the years,  this is the first one that beats my homemade ones for basic kneebaring.

If you are going to be using more than one or two per route, just spend the dollars for a Rock&Resole pad, or make one yourself for just a few dollars less and the smug satisfaction of sending shit with your own kit..

standard

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Which knee pad?
October 20, 2016, 10:06:34 pm
oh, they've made one with thinner rubber! at last.

how tall are you and what size did you buy?

rjtrials

• regular
#3 Re: Which knee pad?
November 02, 2016, 02:30:58 pm
5 foot 9

i bought the mini,  in my experience most kneebars are quite close to the patella, so there is no need for the bigger size.

petejh

• forum hero
#4 Re: Which knee pad?
November 02, 2016, 03:49:26 pm
Could do with buying a pad for Mecca and have just been looking at costs for these inc. international shipping.

Send SLIM mini: $107.50
Rock n Resole: $60
Five Ten: £40

Is the Send pad really that much better than the R n R or FiveTen?

Doylo

• forum hero
#5 Re: Which knee pad?
November 02, 2016, 04:59:50 pm
No

rjtrials

• regular
#6 Re: Which knee pad?
November 02, 2016, 06:23:31 pm
I have made quite a few pads for friends over the years.  I'm not sure what knee supports are available and prices in the UK, but i have had the best luck the the McDavid 401r

To get pretty good rubber, go to a local tire shop and ask for a tube that you can cut up, a slightly thicker tube works better .  Usually the cost is $0

Get an all purpose adhesive that can bond two different materials.  $6ish

Cut out an appropriate piece of rubber (i find that full width and 2/3-3/4 height of neoprene works the best) and clean thoroughly.  Usually the inner part of the tube has better texture, so it will be the outer part of the finished pad (touches rock).

Spread glue liberally on both the pad and rubber.

Allow to dry for 24 hours.  I place a large stack of books on top of the pad/rubber to help the glue bond better.

Trim any edges that arent glued down.

-----------------------------------------------
Extra step i like to do....

Stitch the outside of the pad/rubber.  Initially i used braided fishing line, a beefy needle and needle nose pliers.  I now have a speedy stitcher and it works wonders.

total cost is usually about $20 and an hour or so of labor. they dont fit or look quite as nice as a R&R pad, but works just as good

petejh

• forum hero
#7 Re: Which knee pad?
November 02, 2016, 06:42:01 pm
No

That's comprehensive enough for me. Fancy selling me your Send pad for £40 then?

standard

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Which knee pad?
November 02, 2016, 06:56:06 pm

remus

• forum hero
#9 Re: Which knee pad?
November 02, 2016, 07:23:45 pm
Any thoughts on the rock n resole/send pads for people with thick thighs? I've found the 5.10 pad pretty log because it slides of my triangular thighs in the midst of any serious knee barring efforts. Send pads look a bit more adjustable though?

rjtrials

• regular
#10 Re: Which knee pad?
November 02, 2016, 07:32:35 pm
The send pad is far superior in every way to the 510 pad.
The fit is more adjustable,  the neoprene is more comfortable on the skin and stickier so it doesn't slide around as much and i think that the rubber is stickier.

Sarnian

• regular
#11 Re: Which knee pad?
November 02, 2016, 08:29:56 pm
I used to have the thicker send mini-pad, and I found there was some knee bars that I could only do with that one and some only with the five ten one. I have small legs and I wrote off being able to do Mecca when I first tried it with the send pad, but it turned out to be doable with the five ten one. The difference was probably mostly due the thickness of the rubber, so I'd bet the new thinner send pad is amazing.

I didn't want to fork out for another send one so I've ordered a Perseus pad from the goclimbing link I posted. I'll let you know how I get on with it when it arrives.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#12 Re: Which knee pad?
November 02, 2016, 09:03:18 pm
those bulgarian pads fall apart in like 5mins

Doylo

• forum hero
#13 Re: Which knee pad?
November 02, 2016, 09:28:11 pm
No

That's comprehensive enough for me. Fancy selling me your Send pad for £40 then?

No I need two pads. Haven't tried the new send but find the rubber on the old one a tad thick. Sometimes that's a good thing but I use my 5.10 for the majority of kneebars despite its downsides. Seen plenty of pictures of people on Mecca with the 5.10 (and it's pretty cheap).

Sarnian

• regular
#14 Re: Which knee pad?
November 02, 2016, 11:13:47 pm

Ahhhh annoying! where were you at the start of this thread?

Paul B

• forum hero
#15 Re: Which knee pad?
November 03, 2016, 12:59:13 am
Is the Send pad really that much better than the R n R or FiveTen?

Surely there are enough people are on Mecca and variants thereof that have these pads you can try?

The Five Ten didn't fit me well. The send mini does but the rubber is thick. If you buy a rock and resole pad you'll be gluing/taping it in place.

Sadly I won't be passing back through the RRG climbing shop or I'd have been happy to pick you one up.

csl

• junky
#16 Re: Which knee pad?
November 03, 2016, 07:49:31 am

You bastard, you recommended me one!  ;)

I've got the http://goclimbing.ida.gd/knee-bar-pad/knee-bar-pad-go-climbing-danae-model/ Mine's not fallen apart yet, but I've not used it a huge amount. In terms of fit i'd recommend one, but didn't know about durability issues like ThreeNine's just mentioned.

abarro81

• forum hero
#17 Re: Which knee pad?
November 03, 2016, 03:47:48 pm
5.10 pads - they're fine, but they have a habit of sliding a bit unless taped on and can be quite sore on the back of your knee

Send pads (standard, full sized - I've not used the 'slim' or 'mini' ones) - Thick, feel a bit cumbersome but much less likely to slip down your leg than the 5.10 in my experience. Definitely the best pad I've ever used for certain knees. Generally do well on large, frictiony stuff like Mecca/Parisella's but also work well on painful knees and often on larger spikes. Tricky to wear that low down so not ideal on scums near the kneecap.

Rock n Resole - By far the most comfortable option, light and quite unobtrusive. Easy to wear them low for times when the kneebar is only near the kneecap. The downside is that you need to tape them on as they have no straps (ideally use Mueller spray too, either Stickum or Tuffner pre-tape spray I don't actually know the difference between those two).

Tape seems like a faff but actually it's no big deal, although you need to take the pain of ripping it off your leg or shave your thigh. You can tape over trousers too though I don't think it's as good. In Rifle I was spraying/taping 2-3 times per day most days and you just get used to it. If you use the spray there's a remover which is useful as otherwise you end up with a  dirty/sticky leg and a shower doesn't get rid of it.

In my experience knees can be a bit like heels on different shoes when they get harder - it's not always trivial to predict which type will work best . Sometimes the thicker, less malleable Send pad is amazing and sometimes the thinner, softer RnR pad works better as it moulds into the hold better. On hard stuff I think you just have to try the different options out so it's useful to have a variety. Personally if I were only to own one then it would be the Send.

The Mecca knee is huge so if you're only worried about that then it doesn't really matter what pad you use, anything should let you get no hands.

Doylo

• forum hero
#18 Re: Which knee pad?
November 03, 2016, 07:23:46 pm
The Mecca knee is huge so if you're only worried about that then it doesn't really matter what pad you use, anything should let you get no hands.

And a 8b tick  :lol:

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#19 Re: Which knee pad?
November 03, 2016, 08:42:14 pm
Don't be a downgrader. Heard it's not cool.

I still use and love  my upskills knee pads made by Lee  Cujes in Australia,  never had a problem with them but I'm wondering if he stopped making them . If this is the case it's a  shame.

Doylo

• forum hero
#20 Re: Which knee pad?
November 03, 2016, 09:12:08 pm
Means you're brave and humble J. Overgradings better for sponsorship deals.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#21 Re: Which knee pad?
November 03, 2016, 09:24:03 pm
Dare I say a pair of carhartt double fronts, taped tight below the knee..  :tumble: too tight to fork out for rubber just tried to improve my tech, and I'm not much of a scummer anyways.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#22 Re: Which knee pad?
November 03, 2016, 09:30:41 pm
That home made one of dave Graham's in dosage 4 always looked good to me.

petejh

• forum hero
#23 Re: Which knee pad?
November 03, 2016, 09:33:35 pm

And a 8b tick  :lol:

You sandbagging twat. Just getting to the groove on Mecca is harder than doing the Oak. So that makes Oak 8a+. (Mussel Beach 7c).

Doylo

• forum hero
#24 Re: Which knee pad?
November 03, 2016, 09:40:25 pm
The Oak was 8a+! Ask Jens about grade inflation. Where's the troll emoji

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal