UKBouldering.com

Granada / Sierra Nevada (Read 4866 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 15, 2016, 08:26:15 am
I'm thinking of organising a trip out to the Granada region as a Christmas present for my girlfriend. She lived there for a while and it would be nice to go back for a long weekend / week.

I'm thinking a bit of climbing (big multipitch perhaps?) with some big walks, visits to the local towns, shit loads of tapas and general indulgence.

I'm hoping that someone will be able to provide some beta on the best times to visit as I know very little about the area. When is the snow likely to be gone? When would be a good time for long hikes - ideally when the alpine meadows are in bloom etc?

Any tips for nice B&Bs would also be welcomed. Thanks.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 15, 2016, 09:09:53 am
Granada is an amazing place. To quote Garcia Lorca, "Granada smells of mystery, of something that cannot be, but nonetheless is".
I lived there nine months during university, did some climbing but mostly partied...
Anyway, I think best option would be spring. Winter is nice and warm but I got a very rainy one... Big multi pitch can be found at Los Vados, but there were short multipitch routes (3/4 pitches also at Los Cahorros, a nice crag just half an hour from town, close to Monachil village. It's a canyon that goes on forever. Lots of sport climbing on hystorical routes, home of some of the first 8's of Spain and infamous for grading (7b=8a).
Now there's also a climbing wall somewhere close to town, can't remember exactly, La Zubia perhaps.
Don't know much about snow and long hikes, but we once did a two days trek that was nice!
I know more about bars and drugs to be honest...
Oh well, just 23 years ago.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2 Re: Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 15, 2016, 11:55:55 am
Granada is an amazing place. To quote Garcia Lorca, "Granada smells of mystery, of something that cannot be, but nonetheless is".
I lived there nine months during university, did some climbing but mostly partied...
Anyway, I think best option would be spring. Winter is nice and warm but I got a very rainy one... Big multi pitch can be found at Los Vados, but there were short multipitch routes (3/4 pitches also at Los Cahorros, a nice crag just half an hour from town, close to Monachil village. It's a canyon that goes on forever. Lots of sport climbing on hystorical routes, home of some of the first 8's of Spain and infamous for grading (7b=8a).
Now there's also a climbing wall somewhere close to town, can't remember exactly, La Zubia perhaps.
Don't know much about snow and long hikes, but we once did a two days trek that was nice!
I know more about bars and drugs to be honest...
Oh well, just 23 years ago.

Cheers Nibs, useful info.

I was thinking mid-March time to try and get cooler temps and maybe get a few ski lessons in if the season lasts. Los Cahorros looks great too - a few pictures on UKC, but barely any logged ascents. Might be nice to go somewhere away from the crowds for a change!

Would you say it's better to stay in town, or somewhere on the outskirts? We'd have a car and it might be nice to be more central and sample the bars each night...

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 15, 2016, 12:25:29 pm
Stay in town. Leave the car in a safe parking or make it clear that there's nothing inside. Consider some special assurance for break-ins or the likes.
If you go out you don't want to drive later on, I can assure you.
It's been ages now, but there were some amazing tapas bars when I was there, two of the best onew were Bar Reca in Plaza Trinidad and the Cafe Europa close to Plaza Campo del Principe. Also, Los Altramuces in Plaza Campo del Principe.
Be sure to check the university bars in Calle Elvira or Calle Pedro Antonio de Alarcon, it's a show you don't want to miss. Thousands of people in the streets until dawn, amazing. Never had a problem with anyone.
A fantastic place for clubbing is Planta Baja, in Calle Horno de Abad.
Visit the cuevas of the Albayzin, they play flamenco.
Also walk up to the San Miguel Bajo mirador, just in front of the Alhambra, go there by sunset and marvel.
Have fun.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#4 Re: Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 21, 2016, 10:11:43 am
Sounds like some of those places are still going strong (based on trip adviser). Flights are now booked to arrive on the Saturday morning and leave the following Saturday.

Probably head to Granada for a few nights, party/eat tapas on the Saturday, and then go to some of the mountain villages throughout the week. Maybe try some Skiing if there's some snows still around.

Does anyone know what guidebook is needed for the region's climbing?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 21, 2016, 11:01:54 am
Andalucia sport climbing by David Munilla. Needlesports suggest a new edition is out in January 2017. Online topos to some small local crags here.

March should be a good time to visit.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#6 Re: Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 21, 2016, 11:51:04 am
Andalucia sport climbing by David Munilla. Needlesports suggest a new edition is out in January 2017. Online topos to some small local crags here.

March should be a good time to visit.

Brilliant - thanks Duncan! I'll probably hang on until January and get the new on (hopefully it is published on time).

I've been to El Chorro that time of year and always had a good time. Fingers crossed for the weather.

seankenny

• forum hero
#7 Re: Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 21, 2016, 12:39:15 pm
My better half and I went there in Feb - we had a week staying on the south coast with some day trips to Grenada and the hills and the weather was glorious. Sunbathing was just about do-able on the Costa and perfect temps for enjoying the Alhambra, which is a total must-see, some of the best architecture I've ever seen.

We also went to the Alpujarras which was wonderful. Rolling hills and lots of small villages with flat roofed white-washed houses. Felt more like N Africa than Europe, and should give a good day or two's walking.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 21, 2016, 12:47:49 pm
El Torcal looks like a great place for some hiking and doing a couple of routes, but might be a bit far from Grenada for a day trip.

http://www.andalucia.com/antequera/torcal/home.htm

I think Slackers has been?

James Malloch

• forum hero
#9 Re: Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 21, 2016, 01:02:49 pm
It could be perfect for the first day as it's on the way and we arrive into Malaga at 10am. I was thinking of going to Loja (which looks amazing) but I'd just read half the crag has been de-bolted, and the other half will be bird banned.

This could be a great option instead. The "red" walking route sounds pretty great with views over to the African coast and would be a cracking first day!

Thanks, Chris.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 21, 2016, 01:19:33 pm
All good. If you take climbing shoes and spot a few cool boulders the walk may take a lot longer!

And if you take a rope;

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=2500

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Re: Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 21, 2016, 01:32:14 pm
El Torcal is a cool place to visit even for a non climber, it's like a larger-scale limestone Brimham.

As Sean says, the Alhambra is unmissable and worth the trip on it's own.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 21, 2016, 01:35:48 pm
El Torcal is a cool place to visit even for a non climber, it's like a larger-scale limestone Brimham.

:agree: although I found it quite hard to navigate once you'd dropped down.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#13 Re: Granada / Sierra Nevada
September 23, 2016, 09:19:36 am
My better half and I went there in Feb - we had a week staying on the south coast with some day trips to Grenada and the hills and the weather was glorious. Sunbathing was just about do-able on the Costa and perfect temps for enjoying the Alhambra, which is a total must-see, some of the best architecture I've ever seen.

We also went to the Alpujarras which was wonderful. Rolling hills and lots of small villages with flat roofed white-washed houses. Felt more like N Africa than Europe, and should give a good day or two's walking.

Sean - I missed this reply somehow. Many thanks for the recommendations. The Alhambra looks stunning, it will definitely be on the to-do list. Good to hear about the weather too.

I'm planning a night or two in the Alpujarras (though didn't remember it's name) after reading the "Driving over Lemons" series of books. It sounded like a great place also.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal