UKBouldering.com

Family car beta (Read 15021 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 09:12:16 am
All, looking to replace one of our hatchbacks in anticipation of sprog no.2's arrival.

I'm mindful that we'll have one child potty training (or just beyond), then a new baby so I'm looking for something that isn't going to be a beauty queen - this car is going to get trashed so I'm thinking about something cheap-ish, reliable and big enough for us to go away with all the associated stuff you end up taking.

At present I'm struggling to see past a mid-2000s VW Passat estate TDi (ideally the 130 version). Shedloads of them about, the engines are pretty bulletproof (my mate in the trade has had 2 and both went well over 250k miles). I'm not scared of high miles but would ideally like something as close to 100k as poss.

The other obvious option is the Octavia estate, but not finding many in the ballpark.

Anyone got any other good shouts for sub £2000?

dave

#1 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 09:22:08 am
Indestructible engines in the 1.9 TDi, you can't go wrong. Our saloon passat has got leather seats which actually are great for with kids, stuff doesn't get ground into them.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 09:43:35 am
Am I right in thinking that the Octavaia is built on the same as the Passat but more cheaply fitted out?  If they are the same price then why would you look past the Passat ?

Personally I would be looking at the Mondeo Estate first. 

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 10:17:52 am

Cheaper to repair when your son drives them into lampposts I guess... ;) Never had you down as MondeoMan Shark... Octavia is an estate version of the Golf - not passat.

Anyway, back to the OP.... Aside from the VAG group (A4 out of your range? Some cheap 2.7tdi A6 estates knocking about too..) have you...

Thought about a Saab 9-3 estate (sportwagon or whatever..). I think for your money it would be one from when Saab/GM were together, so would be like a well built (in sweden) Vauxhall.. 1.9TDI's etc...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#4 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 10:33:39 am
Good shouts - cheers guys.

Right on the Octavia / Passat thing - the latter is just a lot bigger. In fact, my mate apparently managed to get 8 internal doors from Wickes in the back of his when he was doing his house up, much to his amusement having been told by the guy in the shop that "there's no way you'll manage that"!

Had checked out a few Audis but not finding masses at the money, and kind of think the Passat's better value for virtually the same thing.

Had looked an Mondeos but for some reason (badge snobbery probably) had never dug that deep. Will be a while till Una is at the wheel, and whatever I get if it lasts 14 years for under 2 grand I'll be well impressed...

The Saab is another one on the list - was hoping I might be able to pick up a cheap 9-3 Aero estate and sneak it past the missus without her realising what it was!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 11:04:48 am
Depending on how big you need, we've had 2 Ford Focus estates, and they have loads of room for bikes, prams etc in the boot. the 1.6 Diesel engine is great to drive, and they are dead cheap to maintain and repair. I've heard good reports from colleagues who have the 1 litre ecoboost, but I'm not sure how great it would be for long distance, but OK for in town pootling.

SamT

• forum hero
#6 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 11:11:32 am

I've got a Mondeo estate.. No its not an Audi, or a 5 series bimmer, but you get a lot more car for your money.  Stacks of space. (bigger boot that passat, octavia, sabb) All mod cons if you go for a titanium/x.

Bought at 95k and going strong after a couple of years (reaches for breakdown cover card, touches wood etc)

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 11:13:58 am
Forester? (laughs manically ;) 0

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#8 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 11:20:40 am

Cheaper to repair when your son drives them into lampposts I guess... ;) Never had you down as MondeoMan Shark...

I was the happy owner of a Mondeo company car in trhe mid 90's. It drove really well and I think they look great and the styling has continued to improve subsequently. I would be happy to own one again though I am even happier to have the BMW.

Even better witgh the Mondeo brand snobbery means they devalue more than they should. Conversely I get the impression that there is an inverted brand snobbery with Skodas that adds to their resale value.

T_B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 11:21:50 am
I've got 2 x sprogs and have the 2 litre Octavia Estate (11 years old now). I'd buy another one. I had a Focus 1.6tdci estate before that and it cost more to maintain.
If I was going cheap I'd buy a Berlingo.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 11:22:19 am

Even better with the Mondeo Ford brand snobbery means they devalue more than they should. Conversely I get the impression that there is an inverted brand snobbery with Skodas that adds to their resale value.

Otherwise, agree with this.

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 11:34:12 am

Cheaper to repair when your son drives them into lampposts I guess... ;) Never had you down as MondeoMan Shark...

I was the happy owner of a Mondeo company car in trhe mid 90's. It drove really well and I think they look great and the styling has continued to improve subsequently. I would be happy to own one again though I am even happier to have the BMW.

Even better witgh the Mondeo brand snobbery means they devalue more than they should. Conversely I get the impression that there is an inverted brand snobbery with Skodas that adds to their resale value.

The used car market is at rock bottom - and once you get down to the 2-3k mark then brands don't count for much. Value reflects the quality and longevity of the model/brand. Though I have an interest in cars - and spend a fair part of my life in one, so I have a desire to get something I like - and/or interests me.. I don't see them in an entirely utility based way.

Anyway - shouldn't you be getting a ridiculously powerful motorbike? ;)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#12 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 12:29:14 pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you've got to go German or Japanese!

Passat Estate is a great choice, but watch out for rear suspension issues. And don't overlook Toyota Avensis, pretty boring but equally as bombproof and reliable as VW.

andy popp

• forum hero
#13 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 01:17:11 pm
I've just bought a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero ...

... more seriously, I hired a Focus for a few weeks in the summer and was impressed.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#14 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 01:25:30 pm
Disappointed you didn't get a Ram Hemi Andy.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#15 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 01:33:38 pm
Mazda 5. Seven seat affair, officially a MPV but more like an estate.  Recently tried to trade mine in only to discover they're worth peanuts so should be able to pick one up for a decent price.

Boot quite large, fits four full size pads for example.

Extra seats a good option taking parents/siblings out etc.

Sliding rear doors very useful with kids.  58 models onwards available with auto doors too I believe.

Paul B

• forum hero
#16 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 02:45:06 pm
Am I right in thinking that the Octavaia is built on the same as the Passat but more cheaply fitted out?

Not really, you can play spot the VAG part.

I love my Octy (2011, vRS 170 TDI). If it's not big enough go for a Passat. I looked a 9-3 1.9 ttid but was advised that although mechanicals were readily available, bodywork parts were not.

Peewee has a Toyota and although it's a bit dull, it's well spec'd and a decent size.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#17 Re: Family car beta
September 14, 2016, 07:52:44 pm

I've had mine for 8 years and love it. No problems whatsoever and it's done lots of Rocklands trips.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#18 Re: Family car beta
September 15, 2016, 08:53:52 am

I've had mine for 8 years and love it. No problems whatsoever and it's done lots of Rocklands trips.

Tempting...though I somehow doubt that "it's really practical" is going to swing it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Subaru-Forester-2-5-STi-Turbo-HIGH-QUALITY-IMPORT-GRADE-4-impreza-/222235441674?hash=item33be43ba0a:g:yI4AAOSw5VFWNN~8

All great shouts here, thanks all - other potential options I've happened on have been a Honda Accord estate, or a Nissan Primera estate.

Nobody got any love for 4 x 4s, soft roaders, crossovers etc?

The idea of an ageing Range Rover is quite a tempting one but I don't think I could live with the paranoia of a pricey breakdown!

SamT

• forum hero
#19 Re: Family car beta
September 15, 2016, 09:08:02 am
If you want a MASSIVE boot on your estate, the Skoda Superb might be worth a look.  Think they're more $$ though.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#20 Re: Family car beta
September 15, 2016, 09:23:47 am
you need a Mitsubishi Delicia; fully bullbarred, kitted out and painted up as a pseudo mountain rescue ambulance - then you can park on grass verges and people's front gardens on the school run

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#21 Re: Family car beta
September 15, 2016, 09:58:02 am
you need a Mitsubishi Delicia; fully bullbarred, kitted out and painted up as a pseudo mountain rescue ambulance - then you can park on grass verges and people's front gardens on the school run

:punk:

A cross between this

and this

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#22 Re: Family car beta
September 15, 2016, 11:36:06 am
that's the spirit

if you put a "one life, live it" sticker on the back, you will be able to drive right up to the boulders and not bother with expensive parking arrangements or strenuous walk ins

the kids could either sleep or eat Mcdonald's whilst watching DVDs within acceptable parenting range while you boulder

andy_e

• forum hero
#23 Re: Family car beta
September 15, 2016, 01:06:13 pm
Peewee has a Toyota and although it's a bit dull, it's well spec'd and a decent size.

The taxi.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#24 Re: Family car beta
September 16, 2016, 01:20:06 pm
Thanks all, have been looking into a few other bargain basement options and I reckon the hitlist for estates is now:

VW Passat
Nissan Primera
Ford Mondeo
Skoda Octavia
Honda Accord
Mazda 5

All seem to offer sensible / relatively modern and reliable options for decent money.

That said, if anyone's old granny is struggling to get shot of their Forester STi Wagon / BMW 3 Series Tourer etc and is only looking for a couple of grand, hit me on the PM!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal