UKBouldering.com

What you growing? (Read 12898 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
#25 Re: What you growing?
April 25, 2009, 10:59:51 pm
I found a guerilla grow up in scotland once... hopefully they didn't notice a bud or two missing

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#26 Re: What you growing?
April 25, 2009, 11:48:57 pm
hmm, got some tomatoes on the go, also a row of carrots, radishes, spring onions, lettuce and peas.

Currently the toms are doing ok, but there are only 3 pea plants up, several carrots and one lettuce!  think most have been killed in the frost in late March...rubbish

Paul B

• forum hero
#27 Re: What you growing?
August 28, 2016, 07:45:52 pm
Sorry for the digging up of old posts (no pun intended).

The in-laws have rented a property in the short term whilst their new build is, well, built; it has a greenhouse, which Nat and I have taken over and we're both quite liking the ability to grow our own tomatoes etc. and potter (at it again).

Has anyone on UKB got a combined greenhouse/shed? I'm thinking timber construction rather than aluminium etc.

My current shed isn't in a great state (it leaks a bit and isn't on a slab so is a bit damp under foot), probably due to the fact it was re-roofed by Smitton when owned by the previous owner. I was thinking next year I might rip it out...

andy_e

• forum hero
#28 Re: What you growing?
August 28, 2016, 08:15:19 pm
These are the shit, although a bit pricey. http://m.tigersheds.com/garden-sheds/wooden/potting/

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#29 Re: What you growing?
August 29, 2016, 08:52:04 am
They cost shedloads. Sorry Paul started it.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#30 Re: What you growing?
August 29, 2016, 05:45:41 pm
I removed half of the roof timbers and most of one wall of our shed and replaced it with corrugated plastic to create a greenhouse/shed hybrid. Works well and very easily done.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#31 Re: What you growing?
August 29, 2016, 06:45:12 pm

I am now tempted to try and grown cat nip but I'm not too sure mine need any encouragement to go more radge than they already are.

Whatever you do don't plant it next to the thyme in your herb bed like I did, especially not if you're planning on using freshly cut herbs to make sauce for your Christmas Dinner.

Like I did.

Paul B

• forum hero
#32 Re: What you growing?
August 30, 2016, 12:43:27 pm
These are the shit, although a bit pricey. http://m.tigersheds.com/garden-sheds/wooden/potting/

That looks something like what I had in my head, cheers. Is it best to orientate the glazing S (it'd have to be NE I think)?

I removed half of the roof timbers and most of one wall of our shed and replaced it with corrugated plastic to create a greenhouse/shed hybrid. Works well and very easily done.

Tempting, but the floor is fairly rotten and the door would also need removing etc.

Durbs

• forum hero
#33 Re: What you growing?
August 30, 2016, 12:50:50 pm
Mostly (legal) herbs at the moment though also have some Trinidad Scorpions and Bhut Jolokia just coming into flower (very neglected this year) which produced a great crop last year, and the slightly more palatable Pinocchio's Nose Chillies - massive and a good level of heat.

Oh, and five 5-8 foot sunflowers too.

Proper veg next season.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#34 Re: What you growing?
August 30, 2016, 12:57:54 pm
What you growing?

old.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#35 Re: What you growing?
August 30, 2016, 01:11:49 pm
Came back from the bank holiday weekend to find that the two (that's right, TWO!) courgette plants had got busy living.
It's going to be a long slog to get through the glut but I'm man enough to try.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#36 Re: What you growing?
August 30, 2016, 01:21:08 pm
I built 4 raised beds in our garden last winter, so this year has seen the first crops. Had potatoes in one bed (Kestrels did well, but Swifts were disappointing - apparently should have planted more plants closer together for the Swifts), courgettes in another (they've done really well but are tailing off now) and runner beans in the third that are in full swing at the moment. I planted broccoli in the fourth, but that's not doing very well (young plants got dug up by a cat, caterpillars are munching the survivors) and have recently planted some spring cabbage in the bed the potatoes came out of. We've an apple tree that isn't having a good year (too dry? and has suffered insect attacks), and there's a plum tree in the garden that has shed all it's fruit: I didn't thin out the fruit earlier in the season (was unaware that this needed doing, until it was too late). I'm planning on taking out the plum tree as the garden isn't really big enough for one (it's a young tree planted by the previous owners and was swamped by a couple of bushes that I took out: it's since gone crazy and is taking over our small garden). Not being too zealous about the brambles has given us a nice blackberry crop - left some for the birds as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal