UKBouldering.com

Budget GPS workaround beta (Read 20520 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Budget GPS workaround beta
August 16, 2016, 02:34:15 pm
I’m trying to use a bit of a makeshift solution to avoid purchasing a GPS at the moment. I can’t seem to ascertain whether I can upload a GPX route file and then see the navigation on screen in Strava. I suspect this isn’t possible within the app but would appreciate any beta on an alternative solution.

I have a decent waterproof iphone mount for my handlebars  and as the drain on the mobile battery is quite significant, also two Primark portable battery packs that can be interchangeably duct taped to the top tube. These seem to offer a decent amount of charge for anyone looking for similar budget battery beta…

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 16, 2016, 02:58:33 pm
You can upload GPX to OSMAnd (not that its relevant to you but its currently -50% for the paid version on Android).

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 03:06:39 pm by slackline »

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 16, 2016, 03:03:42 pm
http://blog.strava.com/discover-a-new-route-follow-it-from-your-phone-7749/ suggests you can do it using the strava mobile app (caveat I haven't tried) if not http://www.cyclingabout.com/the-best-apps-for-gps-navigation-on-a-smartphone/ seems to list many many options

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 16, 2016, 07:31:19 pm
I've found Viewranger a really solid app. I've only used to to follow a .gpx file whilst hiking but there's no reason you couldn't use it on a bike. 

It's free, but some maps are paid, e.g. I paid about £20 for OS 1:25,000 maps for the whole of Snowdonia when they had it on offer.

benpritch

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 08:38:15 am
outdoors Great Britain (iPhone, maybe on android or whatever) you can subscribe to all UK OS maps 1;50000 and 1;25000 for about 14.99 per year. It has a web app to upload all your gpx files to. It can record all your routes too. Can't really think of anything wrong with it and amazing value when one map costs about a tenner.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 09:00:39 am
I paid about £20 for OS 1:25,000 maps for the whole of Snowdonia when they had it on offer.

If you buy new Explorer or Landranger maps you get electronic copies free, although obviously thats not as good value as Outdoors GB (which appears to offer unlimited usage for only £4.95/annum on Android  :???: ).

I found using the OS map on my phone for the last Explorer map I bought quite awkward and realised that what I like about a physical map is that I can look at a large area in one go without having to zoom or pan around lots.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 10:35:59 am
although obviously thats not as good value as Outdoors GB (which appears to offer unlimited usage for only £4.95/annum on Android  :???: ).

This is what I've been using and it's great. Obvious not totally reliable as you need data cover, but it does cache fairly large areas in advance if you need it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 10:42:45 am
On the topic of caching/needing data one big advantage of OSMAnd is that you download areas to your phone and therefore don't have to rely on having a signal.  Under Android these maps can be saved to external SD to avoid filling up your internal storage.

This came into itself when my friend and I were descending from Jebel Burdah in Wadi Rum last November and struggling to find the footprints in the sand in the dark as fortunately someone had walked up to the Bridge of Burdah and tracked their GPS so we used that to help us find our way down.

Monolith

• forum hero
#8 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 11:20:51 am
Thanks all. Forgive my stupidity but do any of these options offer a satnav style view akin to Google Maps? That's principally what I want to access when I upload the GPX file for the event I'm partaking in.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 11:23:47 am
OSMAnd does, although the actual view is always overhead map rather than POV style as you move along.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 11:35:03 am
the event I'm partaking in.

Given the distance covered, will 2 Primark batteries be enough?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#11 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 11:40:35 am
I've got one of these bags: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-energy-bag-ss16/  thats good for keeping extra phone batteries plus a few snacks in. really useful

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 12:33:58 pm
I paid about £20 for OS 1:25,000 maps for the whole of Snowdonia when they had it on offer.

If you buy new Explorer or Landranger maps you get electronic copies free, although obviously thats not as good value as Outdoors GB (which appears to offer unlimited usage for only £4.95/annum on Android  :???: ).

I found using the OS map on my phone for the last Explorer map I bought quite awkward and realised that what I like about a physical map is that I can look at a large area in one go without having to zoom or pan around lots.

I think that the £4.99 sub is just for 1:50k no?

I might give it a go but reading play store comments it seems like they are quite misleading with their map prices and actual prices are much higher...but then that might just be people being silly.  I found viewranger worked well in France as well (using OpenCycleMap) but I suspect all these programs do this.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#13 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 12:34:28 pm
Thanks all. Forgive my stupidity but do any of these options offer a satnav style view akin to Google Maps? That's principally what I want to access when I upload the GPX file for the event I'm partaking in.
I haven't used the Strava app to follow a route, from reading up it doesn't sound like it does turn by turn directions. Maverick would let you 'trackback' along a GPX route but I think that's only a compass bearing along the route.

ridewithgps.com gives you turn by turn directions, offline maps, iOS app etc but you'd need to pay for an account (basic or premium, not 'starter/free') to access this. You might be able to pay for just a month.

Don't think you can upload a GPX route to Google Maps/Nav. Is the event off-road or on-road?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 01:48:33 pm

I think that the £4.99 sub is just for 1:50k no?

Probably, I didn't bother looking too deep into it as I'm very happy with OSMAnd+ and I prefer to support open-source projects.  Bought it when it was on offer at £0.10 though and bought the shaded contours add-on subsequently using Play Credit.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:06:45 pm by slackline »

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 02:08:47 pm
Yes, 1:50 000. If you zoom in further it goes to some google type map view.

Monolith

• forum hero
#16 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 02:09:33 pm
the event I'm partaking in.

Given the distance covered, will 2 Primark batteries be enough?

I could buy an extra few if needs be. A 28 mile ride the other day used around 50-60% of a full battery charge and the Primarni device gives you about two full charges. It's 80 miles each day so it shouldn't be too much of an issue hopefully.

I haven't used the Strava app to follow a route, from reading up it doesn't sound like it does turn by turn directions. Maverick would let you 'trackback' along a GPX route but I think that's only a compass bearing along the route.

ridewithgps.com gives you turn by turn directions, offline maps, iOS app etc but you'd need to pay for an account (basic or premium, not 'starter/free') to access this. You might be able to pay for just a month.

Don't think you can upload a GPX route to Google Maps/Nav. Is the event off-road or on-road?

Thanks Obi. It's a road event and that shout is a good one, I'll look into it. Google Maps doesn't appear to accept GPX files and nor does Strava on Iphone for turn by turn directions. I wonder if these reasons are due to Garmin setting some conditions? Their sales might plummet if people could access the full suite of GPS facilities?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#17 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 02:21:34 pm
Might be worth seeing if it's available on Premium version of Strava?

Monolith

• forum hero
#18 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 02:40:01 pm
I'm a premium member mate but doesn't seem to be offered. They sell Garmin products in their web shop which suggests a reason for not offering this service perhaps?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#19 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 02:44:11 pm
If it's a one off event you want it for you could rent a Garmin...
http://www.cyclohire.co.uk/gpsbikecomputerrental.html

Monolith

• forum hero
#20 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 17, 2016, 04:25:30 pm
Thanks Obi. That could be very useful...

Monolith

• forum hero
#21 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 19, 2016, 03:22:35 pm

Thanks again for this Obi. I've signed up to the basic account at circa £4/month and I'll give it a go for the event in question. As the GPX file I imported from a colleague's Strava export couldn't offer turn by turn nav, I found a simple way to trace the file in RidewithGPS such that it will now give them. The online platform isn't quite as smooth looking as Strava's but it looks like it'll do exactly what I want.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#22 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 19, 2016, 05:34:41 pm
Good stuff. Hope it works ok. Where and when are you riding?

Monolith

• forum hero
#23 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 20, 2016, 10:08:57 am
Will test it out on a local route beforehand but looks to be the business.

I work for the RIBA and a colleague has organised a branch-to-branch ride for charity. We're starting in Liverpool and finishing in a brewery in Penrith (I think) via taking in a few award winning buildings. Should be a good do. Links to both days are below:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15940158

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15940514

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#24 Re: Budget GPS workaround beta
August 20, 2016, 10:50:07 am
Sounds good. Some of us did Penrith back to Manc the other weekend. Some lovely roads if you can avoid the busy bits. Hit us up with the donation page.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal