UKBouldering.com

Anyone done via ferrata with the binlids? (Read 3419 times)

dave

Anyone done via ferrata with the binlids?
July 08, 2016, 10:29:18 am
Off to french alps in a couple of week with the trouble&strife and the binlids. Turns out there is a via ferrata right by where we are staying. The first section on it's own is reckoned to be good for punters or kids, so I was thinking about taking our eldest up it, he's 7 and has done a bit of climbing before, although not much roped. We have got a kids full body harness and kids helmet, plus all my gear as I'll have alpine/rock gear with me anyway. I have a mate in the same valley at the same time who has two recent model BD via ferrata lanyards I will be able to borrow.

The main question is has anyone done via ferrata with kids and what did you use for lanyard etc? As far as I can tell relying on an adult lanyard is a no-no because the weight of a kid won't deploy the shock absorbing ripper bit. I would obviously take up a rope and short rope or toprope him on it all anyway, so in these circumstances is it legit to us an adult lanyard anyway just as a "this is how via ferrata works" type of thing, relying on the rope for safety?

Does anyone actually make kids via ferrata kit? I know Edelrid make an adjustable one but I'm not paying £120 odd quid for a lanyard that in all likelihood, depending on psyche/weather/kid bottling it etc might not even get used.

danm

• junky
As well as the safety issue, younger kids will likely struggle with operating the krabs on the lanyards. They have to be fairly large to fit on stanchions which makes them awkward for little hands to use one-handed. The advice I'd give is to work on the assumption you will belay them on every part of the via ferrata like it was an easy multi-pitch climb. Make a lanyard up for them to be clipped in with whilst you are climbing and setting the rope up.

dave

Good point about the krabs, cheers.

Am I right in thinking it's normal these days for VFs to have those pigstail things to loop a rope into instead of having to take quickdraws?

danm

• junky
It really depends on the age of the VF and where it is - the French (quelle surprise) tend to make theirs differently to the Germans/Swiss. There is actually a UIAA working group writing a construction standard for VF at the moment, and they are having to try and make it fit both styles. Basically though, I don't really know the answer sorry.

Tommy

• junky
Dave, if you know Pete W or either of his parents (they're often down the Works) then I know they all went as a family when the kids were around that age. Might be worth asking them about their experiences.

dave

It really depends on the age of the VF and where it is - the French (quelle surprise) tend to make theirs differently to the Germans/Swiss. There is actually a UIAA working group writing a construction standard for VF at the moment, and they are having to try and make it fit both styles. Basically though, I don't really know the answer sorry.

Cheers, managed to find some photos of the one near our gite online and it looks to have some pigstails on at least some of it.

Paul B

• forum hero
There are far more VF kits for sale in places where VFs are popular (quelle surprise). You might find some child offerings out there?

battery

• obsessive maniac
We've done loads of Vf in the French alps and have often seen kids on them. Which one is it you're near? All the ones we have done have had the cable in pigs tails. Not much practical advice as we've not taken kids (yet) but just note to say enjoy and let us know how you get on.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

dave

Word, it's the one in the Abondance valley. From the photos it looks pretty airy so might end up being a bit trouser-filling for a 7yr old, but we'll see.

battery

• obsessive maniac
They are generally all pretty airy but the security of the rungs gives a great amount of comfort in my experience. I don't think it's one I've done but on trying to find out I came across this which I guess you'll already have seenbut just incase...

http://www.lachapelle74.com/via-ferrata-rock-climbing.html

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Word, it's the one in the Abondance valley. From the photos it looks pretty airy so might end up being a bit trouser-filling for a 7yr old, but we'll see.

Where exactly are you Dave, there's a few ecole type crags in the area, if that's easier?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal