UKBouldering.com

Climbing is an Olympic sport! (Read 31110 times)

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#50 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 04, 2016, 07:07:08 pm
I don't know whether it'll be good for climbing but I don't think it should be in the Olympics which is already too bloated.

Neither should tennis, golf, football, shooting, archery, handball, all equestrian, road cycling, 58 varieties of small boat!, any other sport where the Olympics isn't the main focus and has an established main event of its own and anything that has an equipment requirement that excludes 98% of participating nations. Climbing just adds to the farce.

etc.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#51 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 05, 2016, 08:38:42 am
I don't know whether it'll be good for climbing but I don't think it should be in the Olympics which is already too bloated.

Neither should tennis, golf, football, shooting, archery, handball, all equestrian, road cycling, 58 varieties of small boat!, any other sport where the Olympics isn't the main focus and has an established main event of its own and anything that has an equipment requirement that excludes 98% of participating nations. Climbing just adds to the farce.

etc.

exactly, when I watch the olympics I want to see a fat man chucking a heavy thing or carbon fibre spear down range. How's an umpire gunna get injured in climbing? Useless...

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#52 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 05, 2016, 09:13:29 am

[/quote]

exactly, when I watch the olympics I want to see a fat man chucking a heavy thing or carbon fibre spear down range. How's an umpire gunna get injured in climbing? Useless...
[/quote]

I recon there would be a high risk of an umpire getting injured if I was involved!

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#53 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 05, 2016, 10:36:36 am

etc.

I don't have a problem with lots of sports being in the Olympics. Personally I quite like watching an obscure sport get its quadrennial time to shine. The ones I do have an issue with are where they are already a pro sport and winning the Olympics isn't the biggest deal. Eg. football, golf, tennis, road cycling are particularly egregious examples. I think if you'd rather win a different competition than the Olympics, the sport shouldn't be in the Olympics.

webbo

• forum hero
#54 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 05, 2016, 11:44:25 am
I don't get the bit about road cycling shouldn't be in the Olympics. Its been since the start of the modern games 1896. I know it used to be only for amateurs but there is no longer such a category in cycling much like other sports such as athletics.
It is seen as one of the major races to win with much kudos, Sammy Sanchez after winning gold at Beijing always wore gold shoes.   

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#55 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 05, 2016, 11:52:48 am
I don't get the bit about road cycling shouldn't be in the Olympics. Its been since the start of the modern games 1896. I know it used to be only for amateurs but there is no longer such a category in cycling much like other sports such as athletics.
It is seen as one of the major races to win with much kudos, Sammy Sanchez after winning gold at Beijing always wore gold shoes.

Ah OK that seems fair, I wasn't aware of the history just thinking that the various Tours seem much bigger races with higher profile and kudos in the cycling world. The Olympic track cycling seems to me to be the focus, but that is my own limited perspective.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#56 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 05, 2016, 01:08:54 pm

[/quote]

I recon there would be a high risk of an umpire getting injured if I was involved!
[/quote]

Didn't Malc once throw a shoe in a comp once or have I been dreaming about Malc (again)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#57 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 05, 2016, 01:38:04 pm
You mean like a horse throws a shoe?

Duncan campbell

• junky
#58 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 05, 2016, 02:13:02 pm

[/quote]

Didn't Malc once throw a shoe in a comp once or have I been dreaming about Malc (again)
[/quote]

Yes that was in your amazing tantrums thread!

ferret

• forum abuser
#59 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 05, 2016, 02:17:54 pm

[/quote]

Theres always hope of ice climbing in the winter olympics and sticking Gresham in there

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#60 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 05, 2016, 02:53:25 pm

etc.

I don't have a problem with lots of sports being in the Olympics. Personally I quite like watching an obscure sport get its quadrennial time to shine. The ones I do have an issue with are where they are already a pro sport and winning the Olympics isn't the biggest deal. Eg. football, golf, tennis, road cycling are particularly egregious examples. I think if you'd rather win a different competition than the Olympics, the sport shouldn't be in the Olympics.

I'll amend my point, this "issue with are where they are already a pro sport and winning the Olympics isn't the biggest deal" is what I was trying to say but you're right about smaller sports. If the olympics is their main thing and has been for a long time.

And I watch cycling avidly but I was lumping it in with tennis and golf because the Olympics is so bloated. It seems more pertinent this time with Brazils money and social woes.

I want Brazil to host a brilliant Olympics, that they can afford. Obvs its too late but: trim the roster, have temporary structures that travel around the world instead of all this legacy spending bullshit. Otherwise it'll continue to cycle through the G8 who can just about afford it.

Back on topic, I imagine my lack of understanding about the difference between all the small boats/canoeing classes etc is a good parallel for climbing. I can't work out how many individual medals are available in sailing but i think its six each for male and female. We're all up in arms about speed climbing but I think its a neat solution otherwise, SIX medals for little boats! I know everyone of those sailors would defend the differences which are meaningless to everyone else.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#61 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 05, 2016, 03:07:12 pm
In white water there are medals for using a one sided oar or two, and one person i the boat or two. I think they should also have medals for white water tubing (traditionally done drunk) and white water rafting (traditionally done stoned).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#62 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 07, 2016, 06:07:13 pm
In white water there are medals for using a one sided oar or two, and one person i the boat or two. I think they should also have medals for white water tubing (traditionally done drunk) and white water rafting (traditionally done stoned).
Maybe there should be an extra climbing medal for showboating. Missing out holds, chalk and blow, not matching etc

36chambers

• forum hero
#63 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 07, 2016, 06:34:39 pm
That's the happiest I've ever seen anybody after climbing a 6c.

and don't forget they're top roping...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#64 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 07, 2016, 07:42:18 pm
Maybe there should be an extra climbing medal for showboating. Missing out holds, chalk and blow, not matching etc

Now there's a competition I could get behind. Extra credit awarded for heckling a rival so savagely that they fall off. Ties decided by whose nicked the greatest value of merch from the Olympic Village.

dave

#65 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 07, 2016, 08:43:35 pm

In effect this is already what they have in swimming. Backstroke is the equivalent of climbing wronghanded, and fuck knows what butterfly is, like footlessing everything doubled, no thumbs, facing outwards or some shit.

tomtom

• forum hero
#66 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 07, 2016, 09:27:26 pm
So based on this thread - in climbing there should also be medals awarded for moaning? ;)

petejh

• forum hero
#67 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 07, 2016, 11:34:43 pm
Well OMM, SeanK and Will take Olympic gold in the marathon brexit thread then.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#68 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 08, 2016, 07:35:52 am

sounds like the mighty Olympic sport that is dressage

SA Chris

• forum hero
#69 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 08, 2016, 10:20:18 am
So based on this thread - in climbing there should also be medals awarded for moaning? ;)

And excuse making. A key facet of climbing

SA Chris

• forum hero
#70 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 12, 2016, 02:11:17 pm
Does anyone think 34 medals in swimming races alone (then more for diving and synchronised swimming!) is excessive? I think they could at least have a minor cull there and no-one would really notice, and give a couple to climbing.

dave

#71 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 12, 2016, 02:15:27 pm
Let every other event be allowed to double or triple up, by doing the same basic event but with everyone running backwards, and then again skipping.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#72 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 12, 2016, 02:20:06 pm
Have a horse event with a horse going backwards, sideways and skipping. What do you mean that's what they do in dressage??

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#73 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 12, 2016, 02:21:04 pm
doing the same basic event but with everyone running backwards, and then again skipping.

Or whilst sat on the khazi having a shit.  Works well for diving...

tomtom

• forum hero
#74 Re: Climbing is an Olympic sport!
August 12, 2016, 03:09:08 pm
I'm well into the horse disco. They need some techno backing though. MDMA tests on the nags.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal