UKBouldering.com

International Driving Permits and the US (Read 2038 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
International Driving Permits and the US
July 25, 2016, 01:01:59 pm
Has anyone ever been asked for an International Driving Permit when hiring a car in the US? I suspect not, but thought I'd double-check.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
I've never been asked for one but always got one just in case. They're pretty cheap and easy to get from the post office if I remeber (Like £7 or something).

andy popp

• forum hero
Thanks Dexter. I got one last year (to drive my girlfriend's car there) but have just realised its run out and we fly tomorrow morning. Just wondering if its really worth the schlep into Liverpool to get one.

JamieG

• forum hero
When I hired a car last autumn, i took my international driving license but was never asked for it. In fact the hire car people were really only really interested in the credit card. :-)

Even when i got pulled over by a texas state trooper for doing something wrong, he only wanted the rental aggrement and my british license. Got a slap on the wrist and told to carry on.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Only ever been asked for UK License even when buying and insuring a vehicle there.

Paul B

• forum hero
Only ever been asked for UK License even when buying and insuring a vehicle there.

Ditto. Given the test over there appears to be a bit of a joke by comparison this doesn't surprise me.

Tommy

• junky
Same - only ever UK license in USA.

The only place my UK license hasn't been accepted was Cambodia where they wanted to see the International one, which is weird as it's such a piece of shit and basically looks like it came out of a packet of Cornflakes.

tomtom

• forum hero
Thanks Dexter. I got one last year (to drive my girlfriend's car there) but have just realised its run out and we fly tomorrow morning. Just wondering if its really worth the schlep into Liverpool to get one.

Have a great trip! I've never bothered... I think its a hangover from years gone by...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal