UKBouldering.com

Wagtails nesting on Max Buttress (Read 2047 times)

Sidehaas

• stalker
Wagtails nesting on Max Buttress
June 26, 2016, 06:55:35 am
Copied from Facebook. I can see someone's already put it in tue wildlife thread but figure this is more obvious to most.

There's a Grey Wagtail nesting on the bottom ramp line of  the 6a+ version of Max Pact and the 6c+ 'The Max Works'. The nest is hidden and has four eggs in it. We unknowingly climbed up there today and scared the bird off the nest, it went back on when we down climbed and left. I think it'll def abandon the nest if several people climb up there. Grey Wagtails are on the 'Red' conservation list meaning they've suffered severe declines over recent years, so please don't climb near these routes and ideally not near there either.  Share the word, would hate to see these little guys abandon their nest... thanks :-)

kc

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Wagtails nesting on Max Buttress
June 26, 2016, 09:42:25 pm
There was the usual punter crowd on it for most of the afternoon today top ropping directly through the belays, oblivious to the fact that the route is on its second pair of bolts as the first ones were worn through. I wish the birds good luck but unfortunately they have picked the easiest and most trodden on route along the river.
Perhaps a sign at the crag is the only way to keep people off.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#2 Re: Wagtails nesting on Max Buttress
June 26, 2016, 09:53:58 pm

Perhaps a sign at the crag is the only way to keep people off.

I would say so; I told more than one party at malham about a martin nest on a certain route, which did not dissuade them from trying to climb it. What more can you do?

kc

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Wagtails nesting on Max Buttress
June 26, 2016, 10:02:48 pm
Chop the fucking bolts for a punter free Dale. Or launch their kit off the catwalk.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4 Re: Wagtails nesting on Max Buttress
June 27, 2016, 12:05:17 am
FFS. I'm no JB when it comes to bolting but those routes on Max Wall were decent necky trad routes. Pointless to turn them into easy sport.

danm

• junky
#5 Re: Wagtails nesting on Max Buttress
August 05, 2016, 08:53:21 pm
The Wagtails have left the nest. Repeat. The Wagtails have left the nest.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal