shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#102 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 09:10:18 pm
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmc-and-climb-britain-next-steps

New message from Rehan the President.

Almost inevitable I'd say that this will now go to a vote at the AGM.  ::)

The AGM is typically not well attended so a great opportunity to bump up the numbers :whistle:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#103 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 09:46:54 pm
As an alternative would "The British Climbing Organisation" have the gravitis that a lot of complainants have an issue with re Climb Britain but still have the inclusiveness that covers the breadth of the BMC's representation ? 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:56:44 pm by shark »

dave

#104 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 10:04:13 pm
Anything with the word "climbing" in is always going to sound like its about climbing more than anything else, with mountaineering and crucially hillwalking is supported as a resultant side project. Nobody going out hillwalking uses the word climbing to describe what they do.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#105 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 10:08:39 pm
Anything with the word "climbing" in is always going to sound like its about climbing more than anything else, with mountaineering and crucially hillwalking is supported as a resultant side project. Nobody going out hillwalking uses the word climbing to describe what they do.

I have just received an article from Peter Judd for the Peak Area newsletter. He is one of the Hill Walking reps for the Peak Area and to quote him:

Most hill walkers, even those new to the activity, will have said something along the lines of “I climbed Mam Tor yesterday, then wandered along the ridge to climb to the top of Lose Hill too” at one time or another.  So I think hill walkers will see that the name ‘Climb Britain’ is inclusive of them, just as much as it is of the climbers, boulderers, winter mountaineers and alpinists that make up our organisation’s  family of activities.  In that respect it is certainly no worse for hill walkers than our existing name and probably, I would argue, a little better! I’d certainly struggle to suggest an alternative that is as broadly inclusive and descriptive of what we all do.

dave

#106 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 10:16:48 pm
Is this a wind-up? He's talking bollocks. If I go walking I would never say climbing either now or before I was a climber. I have never heard anyone, climber or non-climber, describe walking/hiking/hillwalking/trekking/backpacking or indeed any nonclimbing ambulatory activity as climbing. Climbing means climbing, unless you're a road cyclist. Fucks sake.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#107 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 10:22:03 pm
Is this a wind-up? He's talking bollocks. If I go walking I would never say climbing either now or before I was a climber. I have never heard anyone, climber or non-climber, describe walking/hiking/hillwalking/trekking/backpacking or indeed any nonclimbing ambulatory activity as climbing. Climbing means climbing, unless you're a road cyclist. Fucks sake.

"I climbed a hill" I just said it aloud. My family didn't think it sounded stupid.

dave

#108 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 10:27:38 pm
If you said you'd gone out climbing and it turned out all you'd done was walked up a hill they'd think you were stupid, or at least taking the doing-anything-to-avoid-bouldering-for-the-Oak to an extreme level.

I am aware that the verb "climbing" exists and what is means. However on the whole it is never used to describe the activity of hillwalking. An airliner climbs during talkoff, but you woudn't catch the civil aviation authority rebranding itself as the civil climbing authority.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#109 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 10:40:15 pm
If you said you'd gone out climbing and it turned out all you'd done was walked up a hill they'd think you were stupid, or at least taking the doing-anything-to-avoid-bouldering-for-the-Oak to an extreme level.

I am aware that the verb "climbing" exists and what is means. However on the whole it is never used to describe the activity of hillwalking. An airliner climbs during talkoff, but you woudn't catch the civil aviation authority rebranding itself as the civil climbing authority.

Ha fucking ha.

C'mon clever clogs what would you propose as an alternative title for the BMC that bests represents its activities internally and to the outside world?

dave

#110 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 10:44:25 pm
Doesn't need one, just call it the BMC, doesn't need to stand for anything any more, it's defined by what it does. Nevertheless, as it stands, the word "mountain" is broadly speaking more central to the range of activities represented than "climb".

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#111 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 10:45:58 pm
Doesn't need one, just call it the BMC, doesn't need to stand for anything any more, it's defined by what it does. Nevertheless, as it stands, the word "mountain" is broadly speaking more central to the range of activities represented than "climb".

For one so young you are very set in your ways

petejh

• forum hero
#112 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 10:49:15 pm
C'mon clever clogs what would you propose as an alternative title for the BMC that bests represents its activities internally and to the outside world?

AXA

Or BMC - British Mountaineering & Climbing

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#113 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 10:51:57 pm

;D

dave

#114 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 10:52:36 pm
I'm not set in my ways, I'm just naturally suspicious of marketing platitudes that don't seem to be backed up by facts. If we can disregard the apologist line that "climb" somehow magically ape compasses hillwalking, despite the fact nobody ever calls hillwalking climbing, can you explain how the rebrand is more inclusive?

petejh

• forum hero
#115 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 10:59:32 pm

;D

You heard it here first. Now where's my fucking money.

DeZyne Wonk Ltd.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#116 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 11:00:45 pm
I'm not set in my ways, I'm just naturally suspicious of marketing platitudes that don't seem to be backed up by facts. If we can disregard the apologist line that "climb" somehow magically ape compasses hillwalking, despite the fact nobody ever calls hillwalking climbing, can you explain how the rebrand is more inclusive?

Subjectively I would allocate a resonance level for the word "climb" as follows:

Mountaineering 85%
Crag climbing 100%
Indoor Climbing 100%
Bouldering 95%
Hill walking 40%

I think British Mountaineering Council sounds old fashioned like the Masons or the League of Gentlemen or The National Explorers Association or whatever it was called in Paddington Bear - ie Old London Club, archaic rules etc ie not inclusive at all. 

dave

#117 Re: Climb Britain
August 23, 2016, 11:38:53 pm

Subjectively I would allocate a resonance level for the word "climb" as follows:

Mountaineering 85%
Crag climbing 100%
Indoor Climbing 100%
Bouldering 95%
Hill walking 40%

So not very applicable to hillwalking.

I think British Mountaineering Council sounds old fashioned like the Masons or the League of Gentlemen or The National Explorers Association or whatever it was called in Paddington Bear - ie Old London Club, archaic rules etc ie not inclusive at all.

Nothing cements the image of being clunky, unsure and out-of-touch like a clumsy rebrand. Consignia etc.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#118 Re: Climb Britain
August 24, 2016, 12:17:01 am
Come up with something less clunky and than Climb Britain and less old fashioned than the British Mountaineering Council and more representative of the organisation than both

rodma

• forum hero
#119 Re: Climb Britain
August 24, 2016, 06:39:08 am
Maybe as a direct consequence of living in a hillier country than you,  I'd say 50% of people i meet when they first discover I'm a climber ask how many of the munros I've  done. Nowadays,  I'm assuming because I'm older they ask if I've done them all.  Granted,  some people do understand what the word climb means,  so they ask how high I've climbed,  or if I've done many of the 5000m peaks.

tomtom

• forum hero
#120 Re: Climb Britain
August 24, 2016, 06:50:15 am
I like Climb Britain.

However, people do climb stairs too, so I am very concerned that this might be TOO inclusive and mean that people at work who decide to use the stairwell rather than the elevator may feel entitled to claim the same passtime as myself.

I'm not a member - but I bet I live closer to their secretive HQ eyrie in Manchester than any of you :p So if they change their logo permanently, my eyes will be scarred every time I walk past to go to the co-op to pick up some Stella.

Yours confusedly from West Didsbury.

dave

#121 Re: Climb Britain
August 24, 2016, 07:35:07 am
Come up with something less clunky and than Climb Britain and less old fashioned than the British Mountaineering Council and more representative of the organisation than both

There probably isn't some magic phrase that does that. So what the BMC needs to do if it is worried that it is perceived as being old fashioned and not being representative is to make sure all the great inclusive and forward thinking things that it does are taken notice of. It needs to make sure what it is in the collective conciousness transcends what the letters B M C stand for (same way all successful abbreviation brand names have) rather than just going for a throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater rebrand.

And/or:

Doesn't need one, just call it the BMC, doesn't need to stand for anything any more, it's defined by what it does.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#122 Re: Climb Britain
August 24, 2016, 08:14:15 am
"I climbed a hill" I just said it aloud. My family didn't think it sounded stupid.

they are experts in managing you and have heard you say more interesting things

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#123 Re: Climb Britain
August 24, 2016, 10:15:06 am
Doesn't need one, just call it the BMC, doesn't need to stand for anything any more, it's defined by what it does.

Like when Prince changed his name to a symbol.  Everyone knows it's the BMC (or the organisation formerly known as the BMC) but without the old fuddy-duddy label.  So keep the existing graphic and add slogans to it - Protect & Promote; Climb, Walk, Flail; Take. Etc.

SamT

• forum hero
#124 Re: Climb Britain
August 24, 2016, 10:21:59 am

I'm with Dave on this one.

Who knows what HSBC stood for, which is no longer relevant, or who M&S were, or BandQ were.   Nobody cares really, they are all incredibly strong High Street brands based on acronyms whose history has been largely lost in the annals of time.

On the whole issue of the inclusion of the hill walking fraternity, to argue that 'Climb' better represents them than 'Mountaineering' is just laughable. To most folks, I'm sure they see hill walking much more akin to mountaineering, one being walking up hills, and the other being walking even bigger hills.

To get further into the semantics, thinking about it, like Dave says, nobody says 'I climbed Win Hill the other day', they'd say, 'I went up Win Hill the other day' , We went up Snowdon, We went up Ben Nevis, get into the alps and you'd start saying 'We climbed the Matterhorn' etc.

Yes, I agree that "The British Mountaineering Council" sounds antiquated, but nobody calls it that anymore, they call it the BMC.  When Dan gets asked ' So who are the BMC/What do they do', he can reply that "The BMC is a body that represents climbers, hillwalkers, mountaineers etc" in just the same number of words that he'd used to explain 'Who are ClimbBritain/What do they do' which he'd still get asked.  I guess if pushed he could explain that 'historically, it was the British Mountaineering Council, but nowadays its just the BMC.

"Climb Britain" still sounds very much to me like a private company, perhaps involved in organising mass charity outings (three peaks etc) than a national representation/lobbying body. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal