#2 Re: VPN, Seedbox....
July 25, 2016, 04:18:38 pm
Thanks.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: VPN, Seedbox....
July 28, 2016, 06:07:25 am
Comprehensive VPN comparison, but with the caveat that Creating a “Best VPNs” list is impossible.

I've used SlickVPN for a while as it was dirt cheap at the time I was looking (~£3/month for two years).  Easy to configure on PC (GNU/Linux) and Android, service is ok, some of the nodes seem a bit slow at times.

Never had need for a seedbox as I don't torrent anything illegal and have no problem maintaining ratios for the things I do torrent.

One option is to host your own VPN and seedbox on a VPS hosted at DigitalOcean (or elsewhere), and setting it up is pretty easy with privatepackets.io although obviously they only allow legal torrenting.  A downside is that you chose where to have your servers 'location' whilst with other VPN services there are multiple exit nodes should you wish to use them.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: VPN, Seedbox....
July 28, 2016, 04:40:08 pm
Depends what you want to use it for of course but I'd never self host a VPN as it would be far too easy for it to be traced back to you unless you really know what you're doing.

On the one I use all traffic from all users through each VPN node use the same shared IP. They also have servers in 23 different countries and provide an easy to use desktop client. They're not perfect but pretty good and you can always route through TOR as well if you need an extra layer.

I've only ever used a seedbox to quickly establish a good ratio on private trackers for a few weeks but can't remember who I used.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: VPN, Seedbox....
July 29, 2016, 09:57:23 am
 :agree: Good points on the anonymity front, and it does depend on what you want to do. 

A common usage is spoofing GeoLocaiton to watch Netflix/iPlayer, although both have clamped down on that of late.  Netflix crackdown for a while geo-dns worked but I've heard they block that too now.

Even with shared exit nodes its still possible for you to be identified when using VPNs if for example they keep logs of activity (after all you're paying for a service so they will have some logs).  Most keep logs of activity thought but some purportedly do so only in RAM, switch off the power if/when the police come knocking and everything is lost instantly (if they're true to their word).

Tor has vulnerabilities too.

MIT are developing a new system called Riffle

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: VPN, Seedbox....
July 29, 2016, 12:01:02 pm
That review site is useful - happyish with vpn.ac but based on their data I think I'll switch to trust.zone next time and sign up over TOR with a disposable email address and bitcoin.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: VPN, Seedbox....
September 04, 2016, 07:37:44 pm
Switched to Trust.zone.

Seems excellent - very good speeds, no bandwidth limits. Nice Windows client. No Mac/Linux/Android clients so on Android I need to setup each server as a separate VPN which is a bit of a chore for 40+ servers but not the end of the world, I'm just doing a couple a day.

As a technical exercise I used the darkweb & tumbled BTC to signup & pay. Overkill for my needs but good to know it can be done.

About £25 for a year. Bargain.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: VPN, Seedbox....
September 05, 2016, 10:41:41 am
on Android I need to setup each server as a separate VPN which is a bit of a chore for 40+ servers but not the end of the world, I'm just doing a couple a day.

Don't know which client you're using but you could try the OpenVPN client.  I prefer it to OpenVPN Connect as you can (supposedly, only seems to save the first two for me) add multiple servers to a given profile and randomly choose them.  This minimised (if it worked!) having to create individual profiles with username/password for each server.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Re: VPN, Seedbox....
September 05, 2016, 10:48:58 am
They support OpenVPN but recommend using  L2TP/IPsec PSK instead so I'm using that.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: VPN, Seedbox....
September 05, 2016, 10:50:37 am
Ah, fair-dos.

Thanks for the recommendation, looking for an additional service so experiences are useful, cheers (SlickVPN have been ok and cheap).

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#11 Re: VPN, Seedbox....
November 29, 2020, 10:43:59 pm
Old thread dredge: the other half wants to watch tv online from Sweden / Netherlands, so we've finally decided to get a VPN. NordVPN had a good deal so we've gone for that.

Now, we have a Linksys Velop Mesh wifi as our flat, while not huge, has an odd layout with some very substantial internal walls and the signal was woeful at the opposite end of the router. This is not compatible with setting up the VPN on the router, and either is our main Plusnet router (which has the Wifi switched off).

I think what I need is a DSL modem with native VPN support and no wifi. Sounds like it should be pretty cheap and easy to find, but so far I'm not getting lucky - I suppose everybody wants WiFi!

Any thoughts?

remus

• forum hero
#12 Re: VPN, Seedbox....
November 30, 2020, 07:35:23 am
Any particular reason why you need to install the vpn on the router? If it's just for watching some telly just having it installed on your laptop would surely be simpler?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#13 Re: VPN, Seedbox....
November 30, 2020, 08:23:41 am
Yeah, probably. We'll try that for starters.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#14 Re: VPN, Seedbox....
November 30, 2020, 04:45:23 pm
Has anyone found a robust method for watching iplayer outside the UK?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal