technical > photography

Going small

(1/7) > >>

Paul B:
Since taking a full time proper job I've got less time for photography and with other commitments long gone are the days where I'll sacrifice the opportunity to climb to take pictures. This means I'm taking less pictures as I simply won't carry my 5dII and assortment of lenses to the crag (even crags with almost no walk-in).

I own:
5dII
17-40mm f/4
50mm f/1.4
70-200 f/4

an X100s (35mm f/2).

The X100s is great for non-climbing holidays (of which I take as few as possible) and people shots (weddings, weekends away etc.) and it's a great thing to own; the sensor is lovely (colours), the controls (physical) are great and the list goes on. However, the X-trans sensor makes my computer struggle and I'm just not a great fan of the lens for anything other than portraiture.

I'm not going to get rid of the Canon as I use it from time to time and the body is worth far more to me than the second hand sale value. However, the X100s can go if I find something suitable as below:

I'd like the smallest combination of body/lens that'll give me something close to the 70-200 f/4 on the 5d, preferable with a viewfinder (rubbish EVFs are hard work).

Is there a reasonable size saving to be had? Second hand preferred as despite the job I'm still tight.

dave:
If you get on with the Fuji then how abouts one of the other Xseries bodies and a tele?

Other than that, m4/3rds is a good system, the Olympus OMD bodies are great, and they have a 2.8 pro calibre tele zoom in the lineup. I wouln't even touch most of the other mirrorless systems like the Canon or Nikon systems, as they smack of a market-chasing afterthought.

gingerninja:
i got a sony a5000 for taking biking and stuff. its got a apsc sensor and is still small enough to carry about. the ones higher in the range have view finders i think. if its compact you want i also got a lumix lm1 thats not bad. has an evf and isnt too bad. ive had the canon g cameras in the past and they new ones of those look pretty good.

Fultonius:

--- Quote from: dave on July 07, 2016, 05:54:47 pm ---If you get on with the Fuji then how abouts one of the other Xseries bodies and a tele?

Other than that, m4/3rds is a good system, the Olympus OMD bodies are great, and they have a 2.8 pro calibre tele zoom in the lineup. I wouln't even touch most of the other mirrorless systems like the Canon or Nikon systems, as they smack of a market-chasing afterthought.

--- End quote ---

What he said - the Oly's a great to handle (very much like a small DSLR/well laid out rangefinder). Not used the 40-150 f2.8 but it's meant to be a corker.

Buuut.... it might no be the size reduction you are after!

dave:
I'm sure JB will chime in when he's back from killing rats in the WIndies, but there's also the Sony RX10 with a constant 2.8 zoom 24-200 equiv, fixed lens, might be worth a look.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version